Best/Worst Bang for the Buck

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by McCurry, May 5, 2011.

1. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

best: Naked & Famous

2. mapclub

mapclub Active Member

Best: Uniqlo .. when they come to Aus [​IMG] Worst: Probably not the worst but.. any of those surfwear brands .. Billabong etc.. because everyone loves surf culture ...nowhere near surf...
    Worst: Retail, or even 30% off of retail Best: eBay or B&S
    also this ^

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

worst: spending gas money and your precious time to go to an outlet mall miles outside the city only to find "outlet only" products, discards from 5 seasons ago, and a depressing shopping experience making you think "is this what I have become?"

4. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

5. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

no brand cuts shirts like BOO does (ie, super-slim/cropped) in a simple aesthetic w/ relatively good fabric

find me one and i will concede that BOO is overpriced

Anything at half the price + $10 to your tailor.

6. KPO89

KPO89 Senior member

This is really unfair to most brands...H&M, Uniqulo, J. Crew, etc. all source their clothing from different vendors which means that you have to make this evaluation on a piece by piece basis. There is no one brand better than the next. I have an organic cotton bomber from H&M that I paid $30 for and has astounding quality and detail but I wouldn't touch anything else from their shirts line. Same goes for the 'Crew. I suppose the most consistency I have found was in Uniqlo.

7. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

in regards to h&m

best: underwear, denim
    worst: everything else

I've found no-show socks that I've liked, and there was this one winter scarf I found years ago.

This is really unfair to most brands...H&M, Uniqulo, J. Crew, etc. all source their clothing from different vendors which means that you have to make this evaluation on a piece by piece basis. There is no one brand better than the next. I have an organic cotton bomber from H&M that I paid $30 for and has astounding quality and detail but I wouldn't touch anything else from their shirts line. Same goes for the 'Crew. I suppose the most consistency I have found was in Uniqlo.

But yeah, this. The button-up shirts in particular are terrible. The armholes are cut so low you can't even tailor them into a decent fit, and the collars get all warped after the first wash or so.

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

This thread turned out to be way less naughty than expected. I was hoping for bewbs and everything. or shotguns (get it?)

9. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

Anything at half the price + $10 to your tailor.

what is this magic brand that turns into BOO w/ just one $10 alteration

and before you say JC, i've owned JC shirts in the past - fabric is terrible, cut is mall-generous, and what's more, they steal patterns from the likes of W+H

10. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

Best: Muji, Brooks Brothers MiUSA OCBDs, Levi's denim, Red Wing.

Worst: JCrew at full retail.

I don't think designer/fashion brands should be part of the discussion. You're not paying for the qualities that go into "bang for the buck," but rather for style, which isn't really quantifiable in $$.

11. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

what is this magic brand that turns into BOO w/ just one $10 alteration

and before you say JC, i've owned JC shirts in the past - fabric is terrible, cut is mall-generous, and what's more, they steal patterns from the likes of W+H

I think what he means is that you spend ~$10 and have a shirt hemmed on the bottom to achieve a more cropped look. You can do this with ... say... Gitman. Granted, Gitman shirts are like ~$130-$150. Still cheaper than the ~$200+ BoO.

12. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Best: Alden.

Worst: Banana/Jcrew. It's as if they purposely make their clothes fall apart within a year, so you'll rebuy it next season...

...actually, it's GENIUS!

13. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I think what he means is that you spend ~$10 and have a shirt hemmed on the bottom to achieve a more cropped look. You can do this with ... say... Gitman. Granted, Gitman shirts are like ~$130-$150. Still cheaper than the ~$200+ BoO.

Or Gant

14. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Yeah, you need a decent base to start from, since there's not much you can do about the pattern, the fabric, or the construction of the seams you're not going to alter. You also need the shirt to fit in the shoulders and have reasonably high-cut armholes if you want to end up with a decently slim fit.

You'd need up to five alterations - tapered body, slimmed sleeves, cropped hem, and back darts x 2 - to get all of the details, and you need a tailor who's not going to mess it all up. I'd say you can easily drop another $20 - $30 on the alterations, definitely more if you're going to an expensive tailor.

I'd say the best bang for the buck for button-up/button-down shirts is going MTM.

15. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

Yep, Gitman shirts are great quality but they're only about $50 cheaper than BOO. Plus, like you said, they run a little longer. Also, another thing - BOO has some pretty good patterns/designs. Yeah, the schoolboy aesthetic might not be for everyone, but I happen to actually like it

I think J. Crew have some of the most overpriced shirts. You're overpaying for what is basically a knock-off of better brands:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]