1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best/Worst Bang for the Buck

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by McCurry, May 5, 2011.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Is that the best or worst?

really?? [​IMG]

2. Wupper

Wupper Senior member

Worst: H&M (nothing will last for more than a short while)

I can't say so. I have shirts, tee's and sweaters that I have washed and worn a many many times and they're still in shape and fit great. I own some blazers and jackets for more than 4 years and I wore the shit out of them and don't have any problems qualitywise. Sure they sell items which are totally crap but you can also find some great fitting stuff that last a long time.

3. imhotep

imhotep Senior member

Hm, does BoO really have a button problem like that? That reminds me of the only time I tried on a RLPL shirt and the second to top button flew right off into the other side of the fitting room lmao. And the shirt was a little big on me too...

Yes, he wasn't exaggerating by much. RL doesn't have the greatest button stitching either.

4. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Hm, does BoO really have a button problem like that? That reminds me of the only time I tried on a RLPL shirt and the second to top button flew right off into the other side of the fitting room lmao. And the shirt was a little big on me too...

Haha yea my buddy was just handling a BoO shirt on the rack and the button popped off. He looked around nervously and shuffled away. Just look at them: small, thin and flimsy.

5. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Senior member

Wings + Horns is very much overpriced for what it is.

Most clothes are, but I think W+H is worth paying for.

6. Stillblade

Stillblade Senior member

Haha yea my buddy was just handling a BoO shirt on the rack and the button popped off. He looked around nervously and shuffled away. Just look at them: small, thin and flimsy.

Ugh. Really makes me wonder why I'm always drooling over these ridiculously expensive shirts... Nice avatar BTW, I'm gonna go listen to NMH right now lol.

7. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

no brand cuts shirts like BOO does (ie, super-slim/cropped) in a simple aesthetic w/ relatively good fabric

find me one and i will concede that BOO is overpriced

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Worst: Retail, or even 30% off of retail
    Best: eBay or B&S

9. Brinbro

Brinbro Senior member

10. *#..

*#.. Senior member

Best: Uniqlo
    Worst: Band of Outsiders

11. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

best: Naked & Famous

12. mapclub

mapclub Active Member

Best: Uniqlo .. when they come to Aus [​IMG] Worst: Probably not the worst but.. any of those surfwear brands .. Billabong etc.. because everyone loves surf culture ...nowhere near surf...
    Worst: Retail, or even 30% off of retail Best: eBay or B&S
    also this ^

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

worst: spending gas money and your precious time to go to an outlet mall miles outside the city only to find "outlet only" products, discards from 5 seasons ago, and a depressing shopping experience making you think "is this what I have become?"

14. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

in regards to h&m

best: underwear, denim
    worst: everything else

15. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

no brand cuts shirts like BOO does (ie, super-slim/cropped) in a simple aesthetic w/ relatively good fabric

find me one and i will concede that BOO is overpriced

Anything at half the price + $10 to your tailor.

16. KPO89

KPO89 Senior member

This is really unfair to most brands...H&M, Uniqulo, J. Crew, etc. all source their clothing from different vendors which means that you have to make this evaluation on a piece by piece basis. There is no one brand better than the next. I have an organic cotton bomber from H&M that I paid $30 for and has astounding quality and detail but I wouldn't touch anything else from their shirts line. Same goes for the 'Crew. I suppose the most consistency I have found was in Uniqlo.

17. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

in regards to h&m

best: underwear, denim
    worst: everything else

I've found no-show socks that I've liked, and there was this one winter scarf I found years ago.

This is really unfair to most brands...H&M, Uniqulo, J. Crew, etc. all source their clothing from different vendors which means that you have to make this evaluation on a piece by piece basis. There is no one brand better than the next. I have an organic cotton bomber from H&M that I paid $30 for and has astounding quality and detail but I wouldn't touch anything else from their shirts line. Same goes for the 'Crew. I suppose the most consistency I have found was in Uniqlo.

But yeah, this. The button-up shirts in particular are terrible. The armholes are cut so low you can't even tailor them into a decent fit, and the collars get all warped after the first wash or so.

18. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

This thread turned out to be way less naughty than expected. I was hoping for bewbs and everything. or shotguns (get it?)

19. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

Anything at half the price + $10 to your tailor.

what is this magic brand that turns into BOO w/ just one $10 alteration

and before you say JC, i've owned JC shirts in the past - fabric is terrible, cut is mall-generous, and what's more, they steal patterns from the likes of W+H

20. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

Best: Muji, Brooks Brothers MiUSA OCBDs, Levi's denim, Red Wing.

Worst: JCrew at full retail.

I don't think designer/fashion brands should be part of the discussion. You're not paying for the qualities that go into "bang for the buck," but rather for style, which isn't really quantifiable in $$.