• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JaCet

Reaction score
to jpb... Maui Jim kills oakley in terms of glare reduction and quality

it's like if real life is analog.... then maui jim is HD

ACIDMX

Reaction score
LV Millionaires
worship.gif

Brigden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skiffing
Don't buy any of that Oakley crap. It looks like you're about to jump off a plane.

Ha!

This is the most apt description of Oakley sunglasses I have ever read. If you don't mind, I'm going to borrow it.

axlpendergast

Reaction score
optically correct...go for Oakley's or Maui Jim's. they actually put some thought and effort into making decent lenses instead of the ones you find in other cosmopolitan brands. USMC issue their snipers Oakleys not because it's cool tactical fashion gear but rather the fact that the polycarbonate lenses they use/make/whatever has less optical distortion...it's not a big deal to most people but if you're shooting a rifle, +500 meters down range, looking through a high power scope at a head sized target, it makes a hell of a lot difference if the lenses bend light. actually at that distance there's a **** load of other factors you need to worry about...

*correction: they aren't issued but they are strongly suggested...which i guess is military speak for shut-the-****-up-and-get-them-if-you're-needing-sunglasses*

i guess for fashion would be pretty much what other people have suggested. however, if i'm gonna plunk down $250 or more for some shades i'd much rather have the technology to back it up instead of a fashion label. there's a .pdf file i have in my laptop somewhere if i can find it but it was a test done by some optical company seeing how much light bends through various lenses...you'd be surprised what people are for.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For active wear, Oakley is ok, though I personally find Rudy Project to have much better quality in build and in optics. For general use, Ray-ban and Persol serve me just fine.

cfmsp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rand
Hands down no questions from a preformance sandard Kaenon remarkable product

+ 1

totally agreed.

If you need performance lenses, or want polarized lenses, go with Kaenon.
I live the variant series.

I prefer them to the Maui Jims and Revos I own, and every Oakley I've ever tried on.

I believe Kaenon are still 'independent', it was started by former Oakley employees.

dshack

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Oakley aviator-style glasses. The polarized titanium crosshairs have a great tint, are light and durable as hell for wireframes, and look pretty classy.

arrrrffff

Reaction score
Oakley Juliets in polarized X-Metal is my favorite pair of shades. Probably my fav. piece amongst everything I own. The sporty daredevil look suits my lifestyle.
443d3be3d1b7f.jpg

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee lin
i own a pair. i like the design but they are falling apart on me. the O is falling off and one of the lenses gets detached once in awhile. i would love to get something similar in shape from a different maker.

Try Rudy Project. I've found their fit and construction to be better than Oakley.

cd1076

Reaction score
Persol's will always be one of my top 5's. IC! Berlin sunglasses are super light and have a very cool hinge system. Oakley= Fratboy. You can never go wrong with American Optics aviators. I've got a couple pair of Salt Optics sunglasses that I rotate, they're decent quality and can be typically found online for around $40 so it's not the end of the world if you lose or scratch a pair.

ahk10

Reaction score
Both Kaenon and Rudy P look terrible... and oakley is a joke.
Find a nice designer pair that fits your face - you aren't a sniper.

I found a great brand - Initium - i have a set of the Revolvers in their platinum line - quality and optics I find to be better than my oakleys from high school (i have those very same juliets in the image above).

However, I generally always wear my D&G aviator-ish set.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
My Nike Odeon glasses broke last weekend, just as we were getting ready to drive to Colorado for the Thanksgiving holiday, so I rushed out to the nearest sporting goods store and bought a pair of Maui Jim's. Wow - they look cool and the clarity of the lenses is great.

Here are my old Nike Odeon P's
21HCQEYBW8L._SS500_.jpg

and these are the Maui Jim Moku's I have now...
31PLML4O5HL._SS500_.jpg

Luckily, my wife knows that I typically keep my sunglasses for 3-4 years and I wear them every single day, so she doesn't mind me spending a couple hundred bucks to get a good pair.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Persol for style and looks are hard to beat and the function is good if you get polarized lenses. Most of them look great with a suit and, for me, their wayfairer model fits me a whole lot better than the RayBan that is too big and clunky looking. For funtion the Maui Jims are amazing, especially at the beach or on the water. The lightweight titanium frames have to be some of the most comfortable around. They also make a damn good aviator.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
unless your a cop or a marine then oakleys scream white trash. they remind me too much of vin diesel in pitch black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads