Best suits in the $500-$800 range?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigtimebuck4, Feb 27, 2012.

1. ismelllikepoop

ismelllikepoop Senior member

Like some have mentioned, buying blind from b+s or ebay can be a pretty risk proposition if things dont work out, ie you're gonna end up spending way more money than if you just bought it right the first time. If 500-800 is a big investment I'd shy away from buying it online unless you know EXACTLY what you're getting. I honestly don't know how everyone on here seems to have such good luck finding exactly what they need on megaclearance at 80% off retail, I guess they are spending significantly more time on the lookout than me.

2. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

3. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

This is not a bad answer. Yes, better suits can be had for cheaper, but J Crew Suits are always available in this range, and are far nicer than the forum would like to admit.

4. Drchilipepper

Drchilipepper Active Member

Truth. I have bought a a 1400 dollar suit for 175 at my Barneys Outlet(it is one of the aformentioned brands). The outlet price was 700 dollars and then there was and additional 75% off all suits during some random sale. Best suit Ive ever owned, cheaper then J Crew/BR/H & M/whatever. Just be patient and keep going.

5. atlrus

atlrus Well-Known Member

eBay seller "frieschskys" is top notch. I have bought from them before (not associated) - brand new quality suits in your price range. So far they are the only "full-time" suit seller I would frequent.

It's totally worth to lurk eBay, look for decent deals and even negotiate with the sellers. I scored an almost brand new Canali "Canali" for $200 after negotiating with the seller; one of the best suit fabrics I've touched, even though it was "only" 120s. The suit was flawless. Even though I prefer to buy new, I would never miss a deal like that.

The most important part is to get your shoulders right - everything else is adjustable by a half-decent tailor for minimal cost. Best way is to measure the shoulders of already well-fitting jackets and go by that (a 0.25 inch difference in measurements won't make any real difference, but try to err on the large side if you really have to).

As long as you are not in a hurry, the perfect suit for the perfect price will pop up on eBay.

6. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

Go to your local Saks Off Fifth that carries Isaia for $1499 and wait for 40% off or BOGO sale.

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

+1 I would look into this option. JCrew are not bad in this price range.

Hugo Boss does get a bad rap on this forum, but if you can find one that fits you well on discount I would consider it. Someone mentioned the Barney's Warehouse sale. I was at on in LA a couple weeks ago and could have kicked myself for passing up on a Hugo Boss navy sportscoat they had for under $150. Had a lot of nice details and fit me perfect OTR, but I had already blown a lot of money there and it was only my first day in the city...

8. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I agree with the positive J Crew comments on here. I have two Ludlow suits and always get compliments on them. They may not be at the height of the quality spectrum, but I can't find a better OTR fit for me.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

9. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

I am amazed that people say they are having a hard time finding a great deal on a great suit. It's really very simple:

1. Take a bit of time to lurk, look at the various MC threads and get a feel for what you like and what you need.
    2. Watch B&S to get a sense of the market, but don't buy for a few weeks at least.
    3. Go try on some of the brands you like and confirm your size and that it fits in the chest and shoulders.
    4. Get the measurements of something that fits you really well.
    5. Wait for the right deal and hop on it as soon as you see it. If you have been watching B&S you will know it when you see it.
    6. Only get high quality, be picky and wait for perfect. There will always be another suit. If you are not sure, pass.
    7. Know that you will make a mistake occasionally. If you buy good quality well, you can always resell it and you are probably only out shipping, which isn't a big deal if done occasionally. It is part of the learning experience and you should expect it. You will still come out waaaay ahead.

I see at least 4-5 suits that would be totally kick ass for me almost every week (occasionally there are dry spells, this is why you need patience). I already have a closet full so I don't buy them, but it really is quite easy to do. If you have the time and interest, it is pretty foolproof. Really the only reason you can't do this is you are a very unusual size or you are a lazy ass. :nodding:

10. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Senior member

I woul like to thank all of you who posted your suggestions, this has been emensely helpful. I am going to a Hugo outlet in a few weeks and will see if I walk into a great deal there, otherwise I will just be patient. I also found a Cornelani for a great price from a British department stor, but Im reluctant to buy it without knowing the return policy if it doesnt fit right. Either way I am sure I will end up with a better deal because of everyone's help. Thanks!

11. irgator04

irgator04 Well-Known Member

I got some good advice on my thread for purchasing my wedding suit.

People recommended the following:

Suit supply- I liked their suits but I am as a noobie I am a little nervous buying a suit online
    Samuelsohn- look for a trunk show
    Brooks brothers- wait for a sale (which is what I am doing)

12. ismelllikepoop

ismelllikepoop Senior member

lazy ass? you just described a several month journey to buy one suit.

13. sns23

sns23 Senior member

Brooks Brothers MTM 1818

14. calisanfran

calisanfran Senior member

Sartoria Partenopea from morigimilano on eBay.