Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best suits in the $500-$800 range?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigtimebuck4, Feb 27, 2012.

1. garymyman

garymyman Senior member

Everything is anecdotal, but I just got a RL Polo Bradford fit suit on final sale at Stanley Korshak in Dallas for $570, with tailoring. It's my first NEW suit. Previously I've bought everything on the B&S forum here and on ebay. I can't tell you how many BAD purchases I have made on here with jackets I thought would fit. To some, it's worth tossing around a little money to find that diamond in the rough, but I spent way too much money chasing big names at too-good-to-be-true prices. For the amount that I've spent impulsively on here I could have paid for the new tux I'm saving for now. That said, my favorite suit is an ebay buy: a RLBL Anthony that I scored for $200 because the seller took bad pictures and I hoped for the best.

I'm a sucker for Polo suits, but the mistake I made early on was not realizing that he's been making suits forever, and most of the ones on ebay are old "Made in the USA" models that are dated. Look for "Made in Italy" if you go that route.

That's the long answer. The short answer is Suit Supply or Brooks Brothers on sale.

2. Benjamin E.

Benjamin E. Well-Known Member

I was just going to recommend them. I haven't seen one personally, but they and their seller have gotten great reviews.

3. 4utomattic

4utomattic Active Member

The Samuelsohn MTM trunk show is on right now, if he can get himself there it might be his best bet.

http://www.samuelsohn.com/trunk_shows.php

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

4. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

samuelsohn OTR

5. toxicchill

toxicchill Member

sorry, don't mean to steal your thread. i'm also in the same situation as i am also looking for a suit in the 500-800 range. Barney is having their warehouse sale and they seem to be dumping a lot of hugo boss for about 500. is that a good buy? i'm also thinking about woa but have read mixed reviews. i'm in no rush, but am looking to have something by april. (p.s. my other suits are crappy jab executive line which looks horrible on me). anything input will be greatly appreciated. thx

6. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I know not everyone is into this, but Rugby has sub $500 - caruso made suits, currently on sale right now. (retail at over $1k). They are half-canvassed and have a pretty slim fit. ($/quality of these suits imo are very high)

Otherwise Suit Supply and Brooks Brothers are a good step up.

7. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Brooks Brothers, ehaberdasher, Wizard of Ahs.

I have one of those exact Hugo Boss redlabel sale at Barneys suits. It is ok for the money, but not as good as my BB.

Stop getting suckered into a $1000 suit at half price, its never worth $1000, barely worth $500.

8. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

At Barney's last (September) warehouse sale, I saw a couple of Hickey suits for $250.

9. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

You can get a great quality suit either here, ebay, etc., but what it takes is patience, frequent checking, knowledge of brands and a little luck.

Actually going to a B&M store and buying suits at that price range is a little trickier. BB is probably your best bet, but you might get real lucky if you come across an RL sale (40%+) for some blue label, althouh that is rare. I once got 2 black label suits at the store for about $900 each.

I've scored several great suits on B&S here. I also scored a RLPL tux (MSRP $5K) at an outlet that I called. My size, and probably a one in a million shot.

I've never bought anything from ebay, though, although I see Sartoria Partenopea suits on there for routinely $700-900.

10. toxicchill

toxicchill Member

Hickey's don't fit me well at all. I've tried on quite a few and all the HF suit looks like they're falling off of me. I'm 5'9" about 175 and there's a few Hugo Boss that fits ok.

11. toxicchill

toxicchill Member

i've spend countless hours at the rack, off 5ths, barney's etc and have tried on at least a few dozen suits. most american cut are too big and have tried on a few that fitted well but are a bit out of my range (zegna and canali). i've been scouring the B&S section here but am hesitant to pull the trigger as i don't know how it will fit. any suggestions?

12. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Not Hickey Freeman, just Hickey. It was their youth diffusion line. Very slim, modern cuts, half-canvassed.

13. toxicchill

toxicchill Member

thanks. i was at barney's last week and didn't see any hickey. their warehouse sale goes to the end of the week and i'll likely pop back in for a look to see if there's any additional reduction and will look out for them. most of the HF i saw are in the 500 range. what's a good price to pay for the hickey line?

14. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

If you're looking at the lower end of your range, it probably is Suit Supply. Check review here.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I'm sensing that the OP likes the Hugo Boss. Hugo Boss may not be well regarded, but that doesn't mean it's a poor value depending on how much you pay for it. I went with a buddy to the Hugo Boss Outlet. He bought a Pasolini/Movie suit for about $420. Retails for $795. It's first quality as far I as could tell. And, for $420, I wasn't going to argue with him. The HB Outlet had a reasonable selection of sizes and styles. If you like the James Sharp, call an outlet and ask about price and availability. And if you can get it for ~$350 go for it. Best of luck.