Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best suits in the $500-$800 range?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigtimebuck4, Feb 27, 2012.

1. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Senior member

I have been a long time lurker on this site but took the plunge today and joined because I have had a difficult time making a decision about a new suit.

I have traditionally spent much less, ~$300, but want to take the next step up. I am comfortable spending between $500-800 on my next purchase but haven't found anything people on here deem to be of any quality.

I tried on a Hugo Boss James Sharp and think it looks great but everyone here indicates Boss is a rip off. Is there a better value in the same price range, or is Boss a good suit but not as good as the 1k+ suits most people here wear?

What about buying a suit on eBay? I’m reluctant to spend so much without trying it on as most vendors have difficult return policies but you can (reportedly) get some great deals.

The other alternative is MTM Astor and Black which starts at $600 and goes up to $800. Their website looks impressive and supposedly all of their suits are fully canvassed, but again reviews here have been less than stellar.

I would appreciate your help. I realize it is not a lot of money for most to spend on a suit, but I am still a student and this is a huge investment for me. I won’t to improve my wardrobe but do it the right way and not get taken for a ride.

thanks

2. Newflyer

Newflyer Active Member

You can get Brooks Brothers suits usually for around 700-800 dollars (2 for 1500 on sale).

3. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

If you are willing play a patient man's game, routinely check B & S here and eBay. Just arm yourself with a list of very good suits (perform a search through the forum). It is not unheard of to score very good suits like Isaia for $800 odd, or Zegna mainline suits for $700 odd. Many of these suits retail at $2K beyond, but they can be available for dirt cheap.

Also your nearest / local Saks Off Fifth, Barnerys outlet or Neiman Marcus Last Call can have some good deals. Ralph Lauren Black label for $650 sometimes, Hickey Freeman mainline for $500 etc etc. My local Saks has an Isaia suit for $750 once you apply discounts.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

For 500-800 you have alot of options:

RL Polo
    RLBL
    Corneliani
    Canali
    Pal Zileri
    Caruso
    And maybe even an Isaia

5. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Can we stop spreading shit like this? Nothing listed retails for under $1200. That kind of deal pops up once in a blue moon, and then there's no guarantee that you'll find your size or a staple cloth/pattern/color.

6. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Nobody has said this is the retail price. And yes, you can get staple colors and sizes readily if you a even a little bit patient. The key is having an idea of what you want/like ahead of time and knowing your measurements and sizes.

The deals are out there, not as readily as walking into a B&M store, but not really that hard to find either.

For example, I bought a perfect, 42R NWT Oxxford "Highest Quality" Type-A suit in a dark charcoal solid that retails for ~$4000 for $850 last week. I could have gotten a Navy as well. It's there if you look, and have a little patience.

7. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

Brooks Brothers. You said you had been spending <300, and wanted the "next step up". Next step up is BB. Keep in mind the context of some of the comments you'll hear on this board (clothing enthusiasts who spend a lot of time on teh internets) dissing BB: Brooks Brothers makes a perfectly good quality suit (1818 line and above, not the 346 outlet store line) for your needs. Sure, they're not RLBL, but that's not "next step up".

Beware of the B&S & ebay until you've got enough experience to do it well, *or* consider what you're doing there to be a gamble. I am a noob, and thus far have made two less than stellar purchases. Even when you get your measurements dead on and the seller is accurate too, its is difficult to judge the ultimate fit and feel of a suit without trying it on. For someone in your situation, you want to walk into a retail store and try it on. Just stalk BB's website until one of their sales pops up. Twice a year, minimum.

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

two for $1,200 during their sales where you apply the 25% discount to Brooks Buys. $500-$600 per suit for the day after Christmas sale.

9. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

What about Epaulet.

You can get a suit jacket ~$550 and matching suit trousers ~$180 for under ~$800.

Free shipping, no tax (unless NY).

10. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I wasn't referring to retail (but even then you can find BB suits in that range in retail). B&S and Ebay are great resources for suits. I'd also recommend ehaberdasher.

12. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

Have scored several Corneliani's in the 500-700 range. Fit me the best OTR.

Edit - have one of them on today! Blue flannel chalk.

13. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

No one recommends a Benjamin suit?

14. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

I have not handled them, but they have received great reviews and I would definitely recommend them. From forum sponsor eHaberdasher.

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Where can you get a Samuelsohn MTM for $800? I was quoted $1,300 for a basic navy solid MTM Samuelshon at Mark Shale in Chicago.