• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best, most prestigious school in the world?

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

Globally, the most 'prestigious' school in the world is Harvard. End of discussion. Want proof? Poll 1000 random people worldwide on what schools they have heard of and Harvard will have the highest rate of recognition.

not true,
maybe for America.
Oxford nhav more recognition.
Harvard mean nothing to many people

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Low acceptance rates are as much of an artifact of the size of the pool of applicants who think they have some shot of getting in as it is about the intrinsic difficulty of meeting a difficult set of standards.

- B

this man very wise,
he right!

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
In all the rankings I've seen, I'm surprised University of Washington is ranked so high - I simply didn't know anything about the school's reputation.

You think that's weird, look at Washington University in St Louis. I don't even remember this school existing when I applied in the mid 90s.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
In all the rankings I've seen, I'm surprised University of Washington is ranked so high - I simply didn't know anything about the school's reputation.

Pretty sure its 'cause of the mushrooms.

klockwerk

Reaction score
The Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) are pretty prestigious. They also come packaged with a low acceptance rate which is common with top tier schools. I've met someone who used schools such as Harvard and MIT as fallbacks in case he was not accepted into IIT.

Mblova

Reaction score
IIT

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
As for the rest of that list, no way Upenn, Cornell, Brown, and Dartmouth are in the same league. They are for people who couldn't get into the ultra elite. 90% of of students at these "#5-10" schools got rejected from a more prestigious school and they know exactly what I mean, even if they deny it .
devil.gif

Many people I know from Dartmouth never even applied to the other schools. They applied to Dartmouth early and got in. It's a totally different atmosphere than Princeton, Yale, or Harvard (or any other Ivy), and some people don't actually care about applying to those 3.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
Many people I know from Dartmouth never even applied to the other schools. They applied to Dartmouth early and got in. It's a totally different atmosphere than Princeton, Yale, or Harvard (or any other Ivy), and some people don't actually care about applying to those 3.
If you're not HYP, you're garbage.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is hilarious.

Humperdink

Reaction score
My dream is to one day see voxsartoria in the wilds of Cambridge, MA

inlove.gif

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Of course it's Cambridge, England, why? One word; Newton. Also without Cambridge, there would be no Harvard.
smile.gif

Princeton had Einstein. Superlative genuis of the human species, the sequel.

Harvard's graduate schools are a big reason it is so well known. I think they have 250K+ living alumni all told. Princeton has about 70K.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads