• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best, most prestigious school in the world?

aerether

Reaction score
Originally Posted by moolala
Cambridge > Oxford

US Undergrad:

Harvard
Stanford
Yale
Princeton
UPenn Wharton
Dartmouth
Cal Tech
Cornell
Brown

berkeley, u of m, notre dame, northwestern, chicago, etc are in there as well.

University of Phoenix is legit also

http://web.mit.edu/

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by moolala
Cambridge > Oxford

US Undergrad:

Harvard
Stanford
Yale
Princeton
UPenn Wharton
Dartmouth
Cal Tech
Cornell
Brown

berkeley, u of m, notre dame, northwestern, chicago, etc are in there as well.

University of Phoenix is legit also

We seem to be forgetting Columbia here. And MIT as some one else pointed out. But if you're going to include small specialized technical schools like Cal Tech(that are certainly superb--my father got his PHD there), then I feel like Williams and Amherst also deserve a mention. And I think if you're going to say UPenn Wharton, then Georgetown Foreign Service and International Relations programs easily make the list.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
We seem to be forgetting Columbia here. And MIT as some one else pointed out. But if you're going to include small specialized technical schools like Cal Tech(that are certainly superb--my father got his PHD there), then I feel like Williams and Amherst also deserve a mention. And I think if you're going to say UPenn Wharton, then Georgetown Foreign Service and International Relations programs easily make the list.
I'd rank Columbia behind: Harvard Stanford Yale Princeton UPenn Wharton (but not UPenn) Cal Tech MIT

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that any person can get a very good education at a Top 100 university in America. They need to try though.

I don't know why I'm posting this in the prestige threak.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'm pretty sure that any person can get a very good education at a Top 100 university in America. They need to try though.

I don't know why I'm posting this in the prestige threak.

lol @ college being for education

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a global civil society. As such I don't see how you can claim to answer globally. Your answer will depend on the country you consider: Harvard in the US, Oxford or Cambridge in the UK, X or Normale Sup (or maybe ENA) in France, Todai in Japan, IIT in India, etc.

That being said, I have to agree with the people who quoted my alma mater, of course.

Originally Posted by JustinW
Ecole Normale Super
Indeed.

Originally Posted by gdl203
In France, Normale Sup, X and ENA are the most prestigious.
Yup.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many have mentioned "Oxford" here, but I would have to narrow it down:

Balliol College, Oxford...of course!

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Lol @ Stony Brook ahead of IIT.

lol at a lot of things on that list.

PaulSLH

Reaction score
Yes, the order in that list is a bit suspect, too much importance placed on peer review and international staff/student numbers, and none of the usual spend per student etc. Anyway, it still has the most prestigious universities in the world listed, even if they aren't in quite the right order, so just pick one to research.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Princeton, somehow and I don't know how, now garners more prestige than Yale. Harvard is still on top of that pile tho. Yale has nothing to be worried about though, their Law school is probably the most prestigious grad school, period. A lot of people choose Stanford over HYP given acceptance to all. Look at Chelsea Clinton. I'm sure weather is a factor As for the rest of that list, no way Upenn, Cornell, Brown, and Dartmouth are in the same league. They are for people who couldn't get into the ultra elite. 90% of of students at these "#5-10" schools got rejected from a more prestigious school and they know exactly what I mean, even if they deny it .
devil.gif
I always put MIT and Caltech in almost a separate category. Different but still extremely prestigious

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i thought rankings and prestige were things only high school students concern themselves with?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In all the rankings I've seen, I'm surprised University of Washington is ranked so high - I simply didn't know anything about the school's reputation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads