• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best, most prestigious school in the world?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
I won't disagree that newton was amazing. There's some dispute about Newton's contributions to calculus, but I give him the benefit of the doubt. Of course, there was a lot more low-hanging fruit hundreds of years ago. The theory of relativity blows my mind, it is so cool if you put a little effort into understanding it.
Well, the falling out between Newton and Leibniz and the subsequent treatment of Leibniz by the Royal Academy probably set the study of [pure] mathematics back maybe a few centuries in England. Whoever discovered it 'first', Liebniz's notation reigns supreme. When talking about relativity is interesting how the term is inextricably linked to Einstein in the public's mind whilst Poincare's contributions garner nary a mention outside academia. In some ways, you could say that Einstein was the first pin-up boy of the science world, the first eminent scientist to enter into the public's conciousness whilst still alive.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
In some ways, you could say that Einstein was the first pin-up boy of the science world, the first eminent scientist to enter into the public's conciousness whilst still alive.

Darwin.

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Darwin. - B
Interesting suggestion. My thinking is that Einstein lived in an era of mass communication, so my feeling is that Einstein would have had more of a 'global' reach. Would Darwin have been known much outside Great Britain during his lifetime? Dunno. You must be bored if you're over here in this thread...
wink.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Interesting suggestion. My thinking is that Einstein lived in an era of mass communication, so my feeling is that Einstein would have had more of a 'global' reach. Would Darwin have been known much outside Great Britain during his lifetime? Dunno.

You must be bored if you're over here in this thread...
wink.gif

About to head out for the evening...
smile.gif

Darwin was very much a presence in the public consciousness of the day, but in a polarizing way.

I agree that Einstein was the first scientist cultivated as a mass media celebrity, which was done on purpose by the Anglo-American newspaper and newsreel businesses.

- B

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Darwin has had a much larger impact on how we view ourselves and the world around us compared to Einstein. He was well-know throughout the western world while his studies and findings has extended though many parts of society in positive and, sadly, many negative ways. Einstein has as well with his work, but generally Darwin's contribution is easier to grasp by more people than Einstein's. We have not yet, though, seen the full impact of Einstein's contribution - well, the atomic bomb is one, but I'm speculating on greater, constructive things to come.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullrams
A newbie and a long-time lurker. IITs are primarily known for their Undergrad Engineering degrees. Their acceptance rates are extremely low due to their extremely rigorous entrance test known as IIT JEE. Approximately 300,000 students take this test every year, and only 3500 are selected. Graduates from IITs, if decide to come to US for their MBA, look toward Harvard and Wharton. If both accept them, Harvard is the preferred choice. For Law, Yale and Princeton are the preferred ones. For Engineering, MIT and CMU. IMHO. Thank you for sharing all the great information here on this board!!
Having met several IIT grads, I really was not impressed. There is something to be said about american higher ed system and putting out well-rounded graduates... Well at least the better schools..

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I can't believe no one has mentioned Arizona State University.

I mean, Arizona State is so prestigious that its actually easier to get a Nobel Peace Prize than to get an ASU diploma!

Plus ASU has much hotter chicks than Harvard.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I can't believe no one has mentioned Arizona State University.

I mean, Arizona State is so prestigious that its actually easier to get a Nobel Peace Prize than to get an ASU diploma!

Plus ASU has much hotter chicks than Harvard.

Don't know about the Nobel prize thing but the chicks at ASU are hotter than Harvard, way hotter.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Don't know about the Nobel prize thing but the chicks at ASU are hotter than Harvard, way hotter.

Girls at most school are hotter than the ones at Harvard.

Napoleon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Girls at most school are hotter than the ones at Harvard.

But then again there are those few exceptions that take your breath away.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
School or Uni.?

Eton, maybe. Or something Swiss.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, its top 3 (HYP). Apparently you're a dick in every thread, huh?

Ah, no wonder your logic skills are so fucked, as shown in the epic Russia Calf thread.

Going HYP for engineering is like going to Caltech to get a Creative Writing BA.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wasn't his most important stuff published after he died?

Interesting.

Tell us more.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads