• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best dry cleaners in NYC?

Megakurth

Reaction score
I decided to give Hallak one last shot as they did such a nice job pressing my 3r/2 Linen Suit in the past and since it has Horn buttons, I figured "what the hell, they have yet to break those on me". Gave specific instructions as usual. They decided to remove the front three buttons to button the suit (2 and one goes behind the roll). They charged me an extra 6 dollars to do so and then sloppily sewed them back on with the wrong color thread. Perhaps I am a bit too nitpicky, but when I'm paying $70.00 for the dry cleaning, I expect my instructions to be followed.

That being said, NOW I am officially done with Hallak. I probably should've trusted my gut, but it's a gamble out there... Guess it's Meurice or Madame Paulette next time.

Megakurth

Reaction score
Reviving this thread…

any new recommendations for dry cleaners in NYC? I’ve had a few fiascos that I’d like to avoid. I just dropped a few items off at Paulette who recently changed ownership (and there were a few situations I ran into with them on delivery, miscommunication, etc) and though I’m hopeful, after dropping off three wool garments and having them give me the receipt with the garments as “cotton”, and some general miscommunication, my head is starting to spin once again. Perhaps I’m overthinking/too much of a curmudgeon when it comes to my dry cleaning, but I want my garments to remain nice and don’t have an issue with paying the premium if that’s done.

Next step is to send to Rave, but I just can’t imagine being in NYC that I’ll need to go that route… but I guess I’ll do as needed.

Open to any thoughts.

liahos1

Reaction score
Jeeves.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeeves.

holy ****! $48-500 for a pair of pants? Up to $2k for a suit?

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reviving this thread…

any new recommendations for dry cleaners in NYC? I’ve had a few fiascos that I’d like to avoid. I just dropped a few items off at Paulette who recently changed ownership (and there were a few situations I ran into with them on delivery, miscommunication, etc) and though I’m hopeful, after dropping off three wool garments and having them give me the receipt with the garments as “cotton”, and some general miscommunication, my head is starting to spin once again. Perhaps I’m overthinking/too much of a curmudgeon when it comes to my dry cleaning, but I want my garments to remain nice and don’t have an issue with paying the premium if that’s done.

Next step is to send to Rave, but I just can’t imagine being in NYC that I’ll need to go that route… but I guess I’ll do as needed.

Open to any thoughts.
Reviving this thread…

Open to any thoughts.
There is no need to use Rave.

I use Hallak for things like bespoke suits and high end RTW. They are expensive, but do excellent work.

Occasionally, I will also use Meurice, who also do good work.

I have never tried Paulette.

Megakurth

Reaction score
holy ****! $48-500 for a pair of pants? Up to $2k for a suit?
I used them a few years back for a Kent Wang mtm and paid around $100-$150. The dry cleaning was half decent for the price.

What irked me was that I had some minor tailoring to take out the waistband on my pants after being told the tailor was “one of the best” that sewed crowfoot stitch buttons “every day, easily”. My split waistband was sewed shut and sloppily, and the button was loosely stitched without a shank. Jerry Pozniak who is the owner lectured me about how great they were and how they would “make it perfect”, they “resplit” the waistband and I took the **** job to a more competent tailor and never looked back.

Megakurth

Reaction score
There is no need to use Rave.

I use Hallak for things like bespoke suits and high end RTW. They are expensive, but do excellent work.

Occasionally, I will also use Meurice, who also do good work.

I have never tried Paulette.
I want to like Hallak. They press a great lapel roll. I’ve reached out to their management on how much I want to like them. They basically shrugged at me and wrote me off. As I shared in past posts, they have a tendency to smash horn buttons (mother of pearl in the past that I paid extra to be removed and resewn) and returned garments to me with misaligned plastic buttons, smashed buttons, or even removing random waistband buttons and sewing them back on in random places. The receptionist literally looked at me like I was crazy when they put a tan plastic button on and I explained it’s clearly different than tan horn. I understand things happen every once in a while, but it just became repetitive.

Megakurth

Reaction score
Ok, luckily I have not had that experience with Hallak.

How about Meurice?

I suppose if Meurice does not work out, you might try Rave. I have never tried Rave so it is a suggestion, not a recommendation.
The sad part with Hallak is that if I’m the past, when they smashed a button, they could’ve just told me that they need a replacement button and I would’ve been happy to bring one, but instead they’ve acted dumbfounded and refused to take accountability. One of the tailors who sewed my button back on at one point leveled with me and pretty much told me that they don’t give a **** and that would do this sort of thing “all of the time”.

I’ll have to consider giving Meurice a try. I had stopped by once to try to get something cleaned and pressed but the gentleman was giving me a hard time because I didn’t have a Manhattan residential address (I live across the river in LIC) and they couldn’t use a commercial office address in their system and I just couldn’t deal with the malarkey that specific day.

Before MP changed ownership, I had a few communication blips with them, but the owner took my feedback e-mail and made it right (not to mention he scolded his staff on an e-mail as it turned out he’s an upstairs neighbor in my building). I try to be reasonable (as much as it may sound like based on this thread that I am not), however, after visiting their new location, letting the staff know that two of my garments were wool and one was a wool blend, getting a receipt back that says 3 cotton garments and then being told “it doesn’t matters”, it makes me wonder… (while I understand that garments are supposed to go through an “inspection process” at the facility, I leave nothing to chance as I’ve had garments ruined).

I’ll report back..

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also highly, highly recommend Jeeves. Jerry and Zack are very good and genuinely care. Seems like you had a bad experience though, which is a shame.

Have been using Wazin for many years for tailoring, so never a need to try the Jeeves tailoring service.

Megakurth

Reaction score
Also highly, highly recommend Jeeves. Jerry and Zack are very good and genuinely care. Seems like you had a bad experience though, which is a shame.

Have been using Wazin for many years for tailoring, so never a need to try the Jeeves tailoring service.
Wazin is great and I for the most part use and trust him with any of garments

Last edited:

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
New resident of Manhattan. It seems from reading other posts here that Wazin is the best alterations tailor in Manhattan. Is Jeeves the best dry cleaner for bespoke/high end suits? I’m looking at using J’s for my Spier&Mackay suits and jackets. It looks like Meurice is permanently closed on google maps.

papado

Reaction score
New resident of Manhattan. It seems from reading other posts here that Wazin is the best alterations tailor in Manhattan. Is Jeeves the best dry cleaner for bespoke/high end suits? I’m looking at using J’s for my Spier&Mackay suits and jackets. It looks like Meurice is permanently closed on google maps.

I believe Meurice is actually located in Manhasset (on LI; Nassau county) and doesn't have a Manhattan presence physically but are indeed open.

I've heard Hallak is good for the high end stuff (my NYC bespoke tailor recommends them to all his clients). I'm not sure you're really gonna want to pay those kind of prices for your SM suits, though I understand how you would want to try them out.

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
Any mid-grade dry cleaning recommendations (particularly in the UES)? Looking for a place that does a good dress shirt wash and press and perhaps decent dry cleaning for S&M level suits. I tried J’s but was not impressed by the quality of their shirt press.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics