• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best dry cleaners in NYC?

Torsion

Reaction score
Phil-Madame Paulette any good from your experience?Cost me my left leg for a suit clean? (Hallak already took my right one! :)

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both are good but they are pricy. I have sent my bespoke stuff there; my "regular" stuff I just used with an old gentleman (actually I think he used to be a bespoke tailor in the old days in Italy) on 65th between 1st and 2nd.

velvel87

Reaction score

Phil-Madame Paulette any good from your experience?Cost me my left leg for a suit clean? (Hallak already took my right one! :)

Oh, Hallak. I live near their plant in Jersey and used them once to clean a suit. $47 to clean a suit!!! They did a nice job, but really? That's crazy! Are there many places in the city in that ball park?

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Madame Paulette have always been among the best in the city ( dating back to when there were many quality cleaners in town), while Hallak were run of the mill until the 80's when the son ( or grandson, I forget) took over and upped their game to compete with Madame Paulette.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Glad to have found this thread.
So what is the consensus - Madame Paulette or Hallak for a good suit pressing (by hand)?
Has anyone used Alpian's on 48th Street for this?

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a decent mid priced cleaners, Ms Buffy's on 55th & 8th is fine. Not high end, but they do a good job and didn't ruin any of my stuff.

I would take $2K+ jackets, $500+ pants, etc, to Madamme Paulette or similar. 20 extra bucks (or whatever it is) is worth it for the peace of mind / risk mitigation.

TheObserver

Reaction score
Out of the topic, any recommendation for a really good dry cleaner in Seattle and upper area?

Not necessary to be super expensive but must be able to take care of designer' clothes

Last edited:

Nevsky

Reaction score
It would seem like the best ones are Meurice Garment Care, Jeeves, Hallak, and Madame Paulette. I have also heard good things about Cameo Cleaners. Does anyone have any experience with them?

More important, it seems like it is very difficult to find a dry cleaner in New York that is very good without being exorbitantly expensive. There must be some. Would appreciate any further input.

stubloom

Reaction score
It takes a significant investment in skilled artisans, equipment and facilities and many years of fine tuning to craft a true quality fabricare process that produces a true quality garment. In fabricare, there is simply no such thing as "great quality at an affordable price".

I'd go one step further. Any dry cleaner who claims to deliver "great quality at an affordable price" has probably no clue as to what constitutes a true quality fabricare process. What's more, I'd bet that they have probably never spent a minute observing the cleaning process inside a true quality cleaner's operational facility.

If "great quality at an affordable price" were achievable, Denny's would be the go to place for fine steaks and Ruths Chris and Mortons would be ghost towns. And all the fine tailors and shirt makers in London, New York, Naples and Florence would be working for Shanghai Quality Custom Tailors.

Just my opinion... for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It takes a significant investment in skilled artisans, equipment and facilities and many years of fine tuning to craft a true quality fabricare process that produces a true quality garment. In fabricare, there is simply no such thing as "great quality at an affordable price".
Yep, the elite cleaners all seem to operate their own facilities while the vast majority send their clothes out to huge plants that service dozens, even hundreds of cleaners. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Nevsky

Reaction score
The problem is sorting the wheat from the chaff. There must be some small cleaners in New York that take pride in their work, know what they are doing and do not charge exorbitant prices. The problem is finding them. There must be some people here who know who they are.

For example, I have an excellent shoemaker that is in midtown and does excellent work at reasonable prices. If only I could find a cleaner like that.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There must be some small cleaners in New York that take pride in their work, know what they are doing and do not charge exorbitant prices.  The problem is finding them.  There must be some people here who know who they are.
Sorry, but what you're hoping for simply does not exist.

sentry

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a mid-range dry cleaner? I'm out in Bushwick and don't feel comfortable dropping my BB suits off at the local cleaner, but also don't need to spend $50 per suit on a cleaning.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a mid-range dry cleaner? I'm out in Bushwick and don't feel comfortable dropping my BB suits off at the local cleaner, but also don't need to spend $50 per suit on a cleaning.

You may need to spend $50 per suit on a cleaning. Suits don't need to be cleaned very often, though. A brush and hang gets most odor and detritus out of a suit.

I'm in NYC and, on the recommendation of this thread, I take my suits to Meurice on the rare occasions they do need dry cleaning. I'm glad I've started to do so, as I feel they're in expert hands, particularly those with a 3-roll-2. Am considering experimenting with Rave Fabricare to see what all that raving is about.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads