• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best brands for authentic outdoor gear?

Chubbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Well, for the most part, TNF focuses on 'fashion' (i.e., making ****** stuff that the average person wears, but fits like a snuggie) these days. But, they have a longer history of making excellent technical gear. SF is not the right place for the OP to be asking this question.

And, who cares about 'authentic' (whatever that is) when we're talking technical gear?

Good point. I guess asking for advice on non-stylish gear in the "style" forum wasn't well thought out by the OP.

junkyard_sal

Reaction score
Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends for down goods--sleeping bags, jackets, vests.........
Nunatuk is also supposed to be great down products. All three of these folks use 850 or better down fill.

Patagonia and Arc'teryx for fleece and shells

Lots of good wool stuff from Ibex, Icebreakers, Patagonia, Arc'teryx, and of course FILSON (still the best)

Boots or light Hikers--Lowa, Donner, Montrail, LaSportiva. Sorel when it is really cold or get some real mukaluks.

I have two older Moss tents that are still amazing in every way. A buddy has a Hilleberg that is pretty nice also.

PrincetonTec or Petzl lighting

MSR multi-fuel stoves

Winchester .243 is the worlds greatest rifle. Need more stopping power? Remington Model 700 30-06 or a Weatherby .300 magnum. Browning Auto-5 shotgun. H&K or Glock 9mm.

Buy a pack that fits your body and distributes the weight to your hips.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Well, for the most part, TNF focuses on 'fashion' (i.e., making ****** stuff that the average person wears, but fits like a snuggie) these days. But, they have a longer history of making excellent technical gear. SF is not the right place for the OP to be asking this question. And, who cares about 'authentic' (whatever that is) when we're talking technical gear?
+1, and north face still makes a few pieces that are gold standards in expedition climbing, and LOL at Patagonia being no good for technical climbing.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
theres nothing wrong with any specific brants tbh, if you know what you're looking for material wise, most outdoors brands have something good to offer. A few words: Polartec, Goretex, Down. Budget: mountain hardwear
ffffuuuu.gif
Steezy: Arctery'x, patagonias technical stuff I like marmot's stuff a lot.

WildPegasus

Reaction score
I'll recommend Marmot as well.

Mountain Hardware I've found has arms that are too long and too short in the back.

Cloudveil is a bigger fit than Marmot.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Take a look at Arc'teryx, TAD gear, and Patagonia for outerwear. Beyond Tactical may also be an option if you want them to create a custom sweater for you, made out of superfleece (300 weight I believe).

lol i hope uncontrol was just fuckin around.

mystillwater

Reaction score
If you really use the stuff you learn to pick and choose the stuff because many brands make good stuff but none head-to-toe.

i like Danner for boots (mountian light IIs), patagonia and outdoor research for clothes, arcteryx for packs. orvis or patagonia for fly-fishing stuff. ll bean and barbour for non-technical outdoor stuff. but i've got stuff from most of the major manufacterers.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly there are so many companies to name here.
I'll agree with all mentioned.

Eddie Bauer's Ascent line is great.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by huhu978
I like this site very much

===== http://www.................us/ ===

http://www.................us

jordan air max oakland raiders $34-39;

Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $25;

Christan Audigier BIKINI JACKET $25;

gstar coogi evisu true jeans $34;

coach chanel gucci LV handbags $33;

coogi DG edhardy gucci t-shirts $18;

CA edhardy vests.paul smith shoes $32;

jordan dunk af1 max gucci shoes $37;

EDhardy gucci ny New Era cap $12;

coach okely Adidas CHANEL DG Sunglass $15;

http://www.................us

===== http://www.................us/ ====

best post in this thread

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just got a manastash jacket thats made w/ eco material -primaloft/eco pertex and hemp ripstop
its the my morning jacket, seems authentic.
http://www.twojupiters.com/catalog.p...96c7b622c8b444

Patagonia fleece cant be beat. I cant take off my r2, its so damn warm of feels like im being cradled in a opium cloud. The nano puff jacket is next level light insulation.

some of my Mtn hardware is starting to fall apart at the seams, but its a good cheap brand.
My outdoor reasearch goretex2 shell is bulletproof for a lighter shell, 15 degree powder days are no problem.

hrb

Reaction score
Get whatever fits you well and has the technical attributes you need. the brands mentioned each have a slightly different fit. (patagonia is generally less fitted, MH, newer Marmot and arcteryx more so.) Most of the higher end articles from all the staple brands are quite good and do the job, TNF included. I've been using TNF shells on expeditions in the Yukon NWT for the last few years. They have been put through the ringer and they have performed quite well. Someone mentioned EB's first ascent label which also seems to be good bang for your buck, though i haven't personally worn any of their garments in strenuous outdoor situations.

If you simply looking for brands that not everyone has, to be different, definitely avoid TNF and arcteryx, obviously. Marmot is slightly less mainstream though the brand is gaining serous momentum these days. If you're based in the states you could order one from MEC in canada, good quality stuff. 66north is also a solid icelandic brand worn in the mountaineering community.

wetnose

Reaction score
I've been mulling over this e-vent shell from Montane, based in the UK - anyone heard of it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads