1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best brands for authentic outdoor gear?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by renegade211, Aug 27, 2009.

1. renegade211

renegade211 Member

Hi everybody,

we've had discussions about North Face, and how it's usually worn by non-ourdoorsy people.

So what brands would you consider if you're looking for functional, technical outdoor clothes and equipment?

Like a brand that is popular with people who really climb mountains, and designed to work well rather than be fashionable and convey an outdoor image.

Preferably something that is mainstream enough to be affordable and readily available, but any suggestions welcome.

I'll start it off with:

Non-authentic: North Face, Jack Wolfskin, Patagonia

Authentic: Lowa for hiking boots

2. countcount

countcount Senior member

Vasque for hiking boots

3. RichValentine

RichValentine Well-Known Member

4. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

5. zissou

zissou Senior member

The TNF thread was full of suggestions.

6. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

throwing down TAD Gear again www.tadgear.com

I like Tadgear, but their stuff tends to be a little expensive and their colors in gear tends to be limited to black, green, and maybe camo, with overly military look.

I've have good experiences with outdoor research clothing.
    http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/index.html

7. bobyoung7

bobyoung7 Well-Known Member

Would there be any advantage to wearing hikers instead of running shoes when walking for exercise? I'm thinking about a pair of Pantagonia Drifters.

8. Chrispy

Chrispy Senior member

I wore pendelton board shirts all summer when doing trail work ac ouple of years ago. Rained almost everyday so I gave up on raingear and started wearing lots of wool.

edit: Shit, didn't see that was a spammer.

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

Would there be any advantage to wearing hikers instead of running shoes when walking for exercise? I'm thinking about a pair of Pantagonia Drifters.

Looks like a spammer brought this thread out.

Trainers/running shoes are much lighter and breathable. Just did a trek in Nepal in trainers and it was fine.

Boots are good if it's really rocky terrain and if you are a bigger guy / need more support. But if you don't do that much outdoorsy stuff then boots might make you feel better. But it could also slow you down and give you blisters. Whatever you do, make sure your boots/shoes are broken in.

As for brands just go to REI, every one has their own preference. North Face isn't bad, but for the money you pay it you can get better. It comes down to personal preference.

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

I wore pendelton board shirts all summer when doing trail work ac ouple of years ago. Rained almost everyday so I gave up on raingear and started wearing lots of wool.

edit: Shit, didn't see that was a spammer.

Wool is great since it doesn't smell. You can wear the same pair of of merino wool underwear for a week straight and there is no smell.

11. cb_32

cb_32 Senior member

12. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

Wool is great since it doesn't smell. You can wear the same pair of of merino wool underwear for a week straight and there is no smell.

Maybe you just lost your sense of smell?

13. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

Hi everybody,

we've had discussions about North Face, and how it's usually worn by non-ourdoorsy people.

So what brands would you consider if you're looking for functional, technical outdoor clothes and equipment?

Like a brand that is popular with people who really climb mountains, and designed to work well rather than be fashionable and convey an outdoor image.

Preferably something that is mainstream enough to be affordable and readily available, but any suggestions welcome.

I'll start it off with:

Non-authentic: North Face, Jack Wolfskin, Patagonia

Authentic: Lowa for hiking boots

ROFL @ calling north face fashionable!

14. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

ROFL @ calling north face fashionable!

Where in his post does he state specifically that North Face is fashionable? I only see that he says its non-authentic.

15. zissou

zissou Senior member

Well, for the most part, TNF focuses on 'fashion' (i.e., making shitty stuff that the average person wears, but fits like a snuggie) these days. But, they have a longer history of making excellent technical gear. SF is not the right place for the OP to be asking this question.

And, who cares about 'authentic' (whatever that is) when we're talking technical gear?

16. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

Well, for the most part, TNF focuses on 'fashion' (i.e., making shitty stuff that the average person wears, but fits like a snuggie) these days. But, they have a longer history of making excellent technical gear. SF is not the right place for the OP to be asking this question.

And, who cares about 'authentic' (whatever that is) when we're talking technical gear?

Good point. I guess asking for advice on non-stylish gear in the "style" forum wasn't well thought out by the OP.

17. junkyard_sal

junkyard_sal Senior member

Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends for down goods--sleeping bags, jackets, vests.........
    Nunatuk is also supposed to be great down products. All three of these folks use 850 or better down fill.

Patagonia and Arc'teryx for fleece and shells

Lots of good wool stuff from Ibex, Icebreakers, Patagonia, Arc'teryx, and of course FILSON (still the best)

Boots or light Hikers--Lowa, Donner, Montrail, LaSportiva. Sorel when it is really cold or get some real mukaluks.

I have two older Moss tents that are still amazing in every way. A buddy has a Hilleberg that is pretty nice also.

PrincetonTec or Petzl lighting

MSR multi-fuel stoves

Winchester .243 is the worlds greatest rifle. Need more stopping power? Remington Model 700 30-06 or a Weatherby .300 magnum. Browning Auto-5 shotgun. H&K or Glock 9mm.

Buy a pack that fits your body and distributes the weight to your hips.

18. cross22

cross22 Senior member

Well, for the most part, TNF focuses on 'fashion' (i.e., making shitty stuff that the average person wears, but fits like a snuggie) these days. But, they have a longer history of making excellent technical gear. SF is not the right place for the OP to be asking this question. And, who cares about 'authentic' (whatever that is) when we're talking technical gear?
    +1, and north face still makes a few pieces that are gold standards in expedition climbing, and LOL at Patagonia being no good for technical climbing.

19. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

yo this is "styleforum". if you're looking for authentic outdoor gear, consider checking out www.authenticforum.com instead

20. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Senior member

theres nothing wrong with any specific brants tbh, if you know what you're looking for material wise, most outdoors brands have something good to offer. A few words: Polartec, Goretex, Down. Budget: mountain hardwear [​IMG] Steezy: Arctery'x, patagonias technical stuff I like marmot's stuff a lot.