• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best bodybuilding/nutrition forums?

ClaretandBlue

Reaction score
If you can put up with the tough sell, or don't mind paying, elitefitness.com is top notch. Definitely one of the largest (if not the largest) BB site on the net.

turbozed

Reaction score
The best nutrition forum I've found is Sherdog's Dieting and Supplementation forum here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/

Sherdog also has a strength training forum: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/ but people there will rip you a new one for mentioning bodybuilding/aesthetics training.

T-nation is pretty much just the marketing arm of Biotest. They moderate any negative content towards their products on the forum. They're basically charlatans that occasionally write good articles. Here's Alan Aragon's breakdown of their latest product claims: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...an-aragon.html

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
The best nutrition forum I've found is Sherdog's Dieting and Supplementation forum here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/

Sherdog also has a strength training forum: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/ but people there will rip you a new one for mentioning bodybuilding/aesthetics training.

T-nation is pretty much just the marketing arm of Biotest. They moderate any negative content towards their products on the forum. They're basically charlatans that occasionally write good articles. Here's Alan Aragon's breakdown of their latest product claims: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...an-aragon.html

+1
sherdog if you wanna get strong
bodybuilding.com if you wanna get "big"

not saying you can't do both, but which would you prefer?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been reading abcbodybuilding.com and it seems like a good site. Thx for the rec.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
BR is the most objective, fact-based training and nutrition forum around. You will not find a better forum than this. I only lurk on other boards for the lulz.

I agree, especially in regards to diet. Some of the information is a bit superfluous and people way over-think things (which Lyle usually tries to discourage), but the details help promote a much better understanding even if they're not practical. Some of Lyle's training advice is a little bit out there and I disagree with, but I chalk that up to him regarding training as ancillary to diet and myself regarding diet as ancillary to training.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I agree, especially in regards to diet. Some of the information is a bit superfluous and people way over-think things (which Lyle usually tries to discourage), but the details help promote a much better understanding even if they're not practical. Some of Lyle's training advice is a little bit out there and I disagree with, but I chalk that up to him regarding training as ancillary to diet and myself regarding diet as ancillary to training.
Judging from the posts of yours that Ive seen, I figured you had spent some time there. How would you compare your training philosophy to Lyle's? His recommendations are pretty middle-of-the-road IMO. (Im assuming you were speaking in regards to general strength/size/maintenance resistance training and not anything sport-specific.)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

I'm curious if you have some particular expertise in this area?

turbozed

Reaction score
Judging from the posts of yours that Ive seen, I figured you had spent some time there.

How would you compare your training philosophy to Lyle's? His recommendations are pretty middle-of-the-road IMO. (Im assuming you were speaking in regards to general strength/size/maintenance resistance training and not anything sport-specific.)

Lyle's training philosophies were posted somewhere a couple months back. Lots of BB type stuff and I think he made an argument that the leg press machine was not so bad compared to squats.

I think most people's reaction to that article were "well he knows everything about nutrition, can't expect him to know a lot about strength training too..." and pretty soon people just forgot about it.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
Lyle's training philosophies were posted somewhere a couple months back. Lots of BB type stuff and I think he made an argument that the leg press machine was not so bad compared to squats.

I think most people's reaction to that article were "well he knows everything about nutrition, can't expect him to know a lot about strength training too..." and pretty soon people just forgot about it.

Im familiar with all Lyle's stuff, Im curious how Why's philosophy differs.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging from the posts of yours that Ive seen, I figured you had spent some time there.

How would you compare your training philosophy to Lyle's? His recommendations are pretty middle-of-the-road IMO. (Im assuming you were speaking in regards to general strength/size/maintenance resistance training and not anything sport-specific.)

Lyle doesn't focus on athletics as much, I guess. Athletes have to have their own programs for their individual goals. As an example, no runner should be doing UD2.0 because ketosis is killer for their training. Add in any higher amount of anaerobic threshold training like mid-distance sprinting and the risk of injury becomes huge.

Lyle's focus on training is basically bodyfat levels and stuff like that. Having low bodyfat doesn't score touchdowns or win races.

Some of his training stuff is intelligent, but it's always slanted toward aesthetics (or whatever warped version some people have) as the end and the training simply as a means to it. On the whole, it's sound advice for recreational gymners but it doesn't have the specificity that some training programs need.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Lyle doesn't focus on athletics as much, I guess. Athletes have to have their own programs for their individual goals. As an example, no runner should be doing UD2.0 because ketosis is killer for their training. Add in any higher amount of anaerobic threshold training like mid-distance sprinting and the risk of injury becomes huge. Lyle's focus on training is basically bodyfat levels and stuff like that. Having low bodyfat doesn't score touchdowns or win races. Some of his training stuff is intelligent, but it's always slanted toward aesthetics (or whatever warped version some people have) as the end and the training simply as a means to it. On the whole, it's sound advice for recreational gymners but it doesn't have the specificity that some training programs need.
Thing is in the greater scheme of things, probably 95%+ of people fall into this category. The number of people who train for actual athletic performance is likely very small and mostly limited to those who are actually involved in organized sports on a team. I will even further limit this to being on a professional team or one in college or high school. There will, of course, be exceptions such as a someone in martial arts. However most of these people will still train by doing the specific sport. Even in hardcore iron and sweat gyms (as opposed to chrome and mirrors fitness centers) a lot of people in there will be training for general strength rather than sport performance. This might be changing somewhat with things like crossfit becoming more popular but I guess my point is that Lyle's training method will still appeal, and apply to, the vast majority of trainees out there. *** Anyway, having said that above I agree that Lyle kicks ass. I read his forum from time to time. Usually it's too technical for me cause I don't care that much for the anal-retentiveness of some of it. I bought his original book an the CKD but never bothered to update to the Rapid Fat Loss or UD 2.0 ones. I just don't care about training that much. I go to the gym. Do big basics to maximise my time/efficiency and hope I get a little stronger and look a little better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads