• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has SF ever crowd funded a trip before? Because I’d absolutely rent the documentary of sending Foo to Frontier Days to have him ask random people who their shirt maker is and who they’re wearing when he likes someone’s fit.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I first found this thread, I was reminded of The Emperor's New Clothes. Someone had to tell him he was naked.

Then I thought back to the first time I saw Flusser's Making the Man. On the cover there was that wonderful pair of alligator loafers, a Brigg umbrella, a Hilditch & Key (Paris) scarf, and more. Then there was a cowboy boot ... and a western shirt. I laughed. Don't get me wrong, the embroidery on the shirt appealed ... but have you met Flusser? Even going to a costume party that would be amusing.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we have different taste, which is fine. The things you've posted on this board as inspiration points just aren't to my taste.

Fair enough. Maybe I tolerate a bit more mixing and matching than usual.

Unless I missed something I don't think anyone said that CM was excluded. Personally, that's still my preference. I am, however, liking NorCal's Panhandle Slim. Still, when I think of city fellers (myself included) in western wear, I think costume. But hey, each to his/her own. And yes, Foo does deliver ... even if the delivery isn't my thing.

Perhaps not excluded entirely, but more like only considering certain things CM if they conform in every particular. A more modern piece of knitwear or an artistic t-shirt paired with a blazer would not really be CM. Which is fine if the point is to focus on only a few specific decades/the early 20th century for style, but I'm a believer in a 'big Englander' version of CM.

Not much of a fan of western wear either - even in an outdoorsy kind of environment. But maybe that's because it reminds me of that awful kind of blazing hot summer.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When I first found this thread, I was reminded of The Emperor's New Clothes. Someone had to tell him he was naked.

Then I thought back to the first time I saw Flusser's Making the Man. On the cover there was that wonderful pair of alligator loafers, a Brigg umbrella, a Hilditch & Key (Paris) scarf, and more. Then there was a cowboy boot ... and a western shirt. I laughed. Don't get me wrong, the embroidery on the shirt appealed ... but have you met Flusser? Even going to a costume party that would be amusing.
But western wear was sort of in fashion at that time. I mean from what I gather in what I’ve read since then since I was five. He even had some western wear shops and cowboy boot makers in his store listings in that 1981 book. And a pic of his own made to order cowboy boots that had designs of like a top hat and cane or something on them.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that. To me it looks kinda mehhhhhhhhhhh.

?

westernweargoat.jpg

emptym

Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shuhei Nishiguchi wears western shirts (usually Wrangler) fairly often and well imo. Maybe not his best, but the first one I could find:

@Connemara to NYC?

i really think this would better without the white shirt lol but i love the choice of belt and think that is a great way to pull back on the throttle as far as western costume

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why @TheFoo have not been featured or interviewed in a podcast/youtube vid by now is beyond me.

We can all learn so much from that episode.

Is there any existing podcasts he could be plugged into? Or do we need to make one? If we need to make one, I think I could host a podcast with @RSS. It would be more of a Bill Cunningham-esque general fashion show because I'd want to have models on and get some $$$ from advertisers when we blow up.

@RSS -- do you have an old voice or a young voice?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads