• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Shoe Damage: WS Foster & Son

jjl5000

Reaction score
ET - You are clearly on a roll with yet another outstanding commission!

worship.gif

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like Grimslade the toe does not sing to me but otherwise that is a lace up shoe I would pay bespoke money for. They rock.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks jjl, Panzer, and culverwood (love your Fosters btw).

grims - no love for the 888
eek.gif
???

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
grims - no love for the 888
eek.gif
???

What can I say? I tried on a pair at the Mansion yesterday. They left me cold.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Welt at the tip of the toe and the metal plate are great. Everything looks very "polished".

Paul Davies made my first pair of shoes with the toe welt squared off like that. It took me a while to get it, but once I did, I liked it. Even so, I concluded that it looks best with a wing tip, because of the angled lines, rather than with a cap toe. My next pairs were cap toes, so I asked for the round tips. While I like ET's shoes, I do think the squared toe welt looks a bit funny to me with the lines of a cap toe. Perhaps it would grow on me. That aside, I love the overall design of the shoe. A lot. It is an exceptionally beautiful design.

Minor question: Is there a heel seam on the upper part of the heel area? It looks like the lower part is whole cut, but I see a small tab on the upper part which makes me think there is a seam. It is hard to be sure because there is no direct shot of that area.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks dopey. The square welt doesn't bother me at all but I do see your point. Perhaps I may change my mind with time.

Yes, there is a seam on the heel.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might like these even more than your new Cleverleys. You've got great taste, ET.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Eustace - how would you compare your WSFs to your Cleverleys?

I had a feeling someone would ask this.
smile.gif

In all honesty, they're both great shoes, and I intend to order more from each firm in the future. The toe shapes are similar, the styling is equally British in nature, and the service provided by each firm was exceptional.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think Foster is also slightly less expensive, by a one or two hundred pounds.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think Foster is also slightly less expensive, by a one or two hundred pounds.

Its just a 50 pound difference when you factor in the trees (they charge more than GJC for bespoke trees).

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Beautiful shoes. What I love about the design is that its fresh and unique without being gimmicky.

+1. Great shoes and the design is very unique - classic but with a twist. Those 1/4" grout lines however are too thick
tounge.gif

Winot

Reaction score
Good timing on this thread - I finally bit the bullet and went into Fosters today to be measured for my first (ever) bespoke shoes. I was really pleased to hear that Terry Moore will probably make my lasts, although I met Micky and I'm sure he'd do a great job too.

Now I need to think about style and would appreciate the thoughts of those of you who've been through this before:

- I have large feet (size 12 UK) and feel some patterning on the front of th eshoe would be a good idea

- I'm pretty much decided to go for an Oxford for my first pair

- Am wondering about a captoe (perhaps with an Adelaide brogueing) or a wholecut with a toe medallion. My heart says a full brogue but maybe that wouldn't be right for what will be a fairly formal shoe

- I love the chisel toe but Terry is going to advise on whether this makes sense with the shape of my foot

- I have pretty much decided on a deep aubergine leather (almost black). I was also tempted by the antiqued black samples in the shop but worry that they'll require too much upkeep (I keep my shoes at work and get them cleaned by a street polisher in the City).

Edit to add that I am now seriously tempted to copy ET's design!
Anything else to add to the mix?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ET..you are quickly making a spot for yourself in the Shoe Fairy's Hall of Fame.

Exquisitely done!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads