1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bespoke Shoe Damage: WS Foster & Son

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, May 9, 2008.

1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

The "Thomas" wholecut model in a brown-burgundy calfskin. Well executed and the sole, in particular, is stunning (the tightest fiddleback I have seen). Needless to say, the fit is perfect. As with my Cleverleys, I had my initials punched on the inside corner of each shoe.

It was hard to get a picture that showed the real color of these shoes - the artificial light, coupled with a strong flash, makes the shoes appear to be more red than burgundy. In real life, the color of the shoes is exactly like the color of medward's G&Gs below:

[​IMG]

You may notice that I'm using RTW shoe trees - that's because the lasted shoes trees are being worked on and will be mailed to me shortly. I'm been very happy with the customer service provided as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Dude, they look nice but they spilled red paint on parts of the shoe! [​IMG]

You need some better trees but I really like the toe box.

3. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Woohoo, what a waist! Congrats.

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Welt at the tip of the toe and the metal plate are great. Everything looks very "polished".

5. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

I must admit to having been intrigued by this particular design for quite a while. When I first saw it, I didn't realize the shoe in my hand was, in fact, a whole cut with a captoe effect added on. The adelaide-type design rising along the laces and then descending and continuing around the shoe like a classic Balmoral added an elegant sweep to the look as opposed to the rather straight horizontal line of most galosh-type oxfords. At the time, Mr Bolzoni suggested that the design was brought to them by Charlie Watts, who had found it among images of some older offerings. In any event, it is wonderful to see how nicely the shoe makes up. Enjoy!

6. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

They look great. The toe is too square for me, but I like everything else about it, and since I don't have to wear them, ignore my quibble.

7. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very nice.

MEdwards, you are a customer of Foster as well?

8. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

I must admit to having been intrigued by this particular design for quite a while. When I first saw it, I didn't realize the shoe in my hand was, in fact, a whole cut with a captoe effect added on. The adelaide-type design rising along the laces and then descending and continuing around the shoe like a classic Balmoral added an elegant sweep to the look as opposed to the rather straight horizontal line of most galosh-type oxfords. At the time, Mr Bolzoni suggested that the design was brought to them by Charlie Watts, who had found it among images of some older offerings. In any event, it is wonderful to see how nicely the shoe makes up. Enjoy!

Yes, it is a very nice design. I like the pitched heel also; how high is it?

9. Eustace Tilley

Thanks guys (medwards, I agree - the uniqueness of the design drew me to the Thomas). I really wish I had taken a few better pics of the waist - it is really something.

grimslade - the toe, as is, represents Fosters default house style. I quite like it myself, as it reminds me of EGs 888. Thanks for the comments.

10. Eustace Tilley

Yes, it is a very nice design. I like the pitched heel also; how high is it?

1.25" as per a special request on my part.

Thanks RJ.

11. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Finger lickin' good. Spectacular.

- B

12. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

1.25" as per a special request on my part.

Thanks RJ.

Yeah, that is what I am talking about...a 3cm pitched heel is also what I requested on my bespoke order!

13. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

grimslade - the toe, as is, represents Fosters default house style. I quite like it myself, as it reminds me of EGs 888. Thanks for the comments.

I'm aware. I've decided I don't really like the 888 either. [​IMG]

Still and all, they're gorgeous. I think the improvement on the traditional galosh still (which I find unharmonious) is inspired.

14. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

ET great looking shoes this was the design out of allt he F&S shoes that i liked the most apart for the ones on JK's site, may they bring you years of good wear!![​IMG]

15. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

Beautiful shoes. What I love about the design is that its fresh and unique without being gimmicky.

16. jjl5000

jjl5000 Senior member

ET - You are clearly on a roll with yet another outstanding commission!

[​IMG]

17. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Like Grimslade the toe does not sing to me but otherwise that is a lace up shoe I would pay bespoke money for. They rock.

18. Eustace Tilley

Thanks jjl, Panzer, and culverwood (love your Fosters btw).

grims - no love for the 888 [​IMG]???

19. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

grims - no love for the 888 [​IMG]???

What can I say? I tried on a pair at the Mansion yesterday. They left me cold.

20. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Welt at the tip of the toe and the metal plate are great. Everything looks very "polished".

Paul Davies made my first pair of shoes with the toe welt squared off like that. It took me a while to get it, but once I did, I liked it. Even so, I concluded that it looks best with a wing tip, because of the angled lines, rather than with a cap toe. My next pairs were cap toes, so I asked for the round tips. While I like ET's shoes, I do think the squared toe welt looks a bit funny to me with the lines of a cap toe. Perhaps it would grow on me. That aside, I love the overall design of the shoe. A lot. It is an exceptionally beautiful design.

Minor question: Is there a heel seam on the upper part of the heel area? It looks like the lower part is whole cut, but I see a small tab on the upper part which makes me think there is a seam. It is hard to be sure because there is no direct shot of that area.