1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bespoke jacket: What would be your versatile "oneJacket" for all occasions?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

If you could only get 1 jacket MTM, what would be your "oneJacket" that could work in most occasions? Casual, social, work, etc. I think Navy solid is too generic. Maybe one detail to add SOME flair, like a subtle check, or purple pinstripe, etc. Worsted wool as its too suit/formal looking.
    Well, I think you have a few options. First, I would stay away from any stripe or check. It would automatically make the jacket not work with anything but a solid pant. Secondly, for navy, I would do a heavy hopsack weave. Hopsack is porous enough to breathe when its warmer out, but ina heavy weight also wearable in colder temps (I'm wearing my Navy hopsack today, and its freezing!). But Navy sometimes can come across as dressy, too dressy in some circles. If this is what you decide, brown horn buttons should be the way to go. What I think would be your ideal choice however would be a lighter weight (think 10-11 oz) tweed in one of the following colors - brown, blue or grey. You could do either a donegal or a subtle herringbone, of which I think a donegal would be more versatile. Donegal could be worn with any pattern or color, especially if there are lots of different specks of color in it, as there are in many donegals. The weight would make it ideal for year round use, and honestly the only thing it would NOT work with MAY be very dressy trousers. You could do this with khaki, wool, jeans, checks, plaids and could use many shirt tie combos as well. Hope that helps, and good luck.
    As usual, solid advice from NYR. Your thoughts?

2. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I've noticed that I keep buying black sport coats. They seem pretty easy for me to match shirts with... pink, purple, gold, light blue, white.

3. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

Probably some sort of micro nailhead or micro hounds dark navy

4. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

+1 -- my thoughts exactly. I would also add subtle navy herringbone or windowpane (with very faint lines).

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love donegal, but it would look odd in summer, unless you live somewhere that's perpetually snowy. That's also the trouble with dark brown.

The right answer is really "blazer," but if you don't want that, I'm going to go very non-SF and suggest "solid light gray" in a twill or other cloth that doesn't look like a suit. It's almost as versatile as navy, the texture in the cloth adds interest, and the solid color will make it look dressier to most folks than something with a pattern.

6. srivats

srivats Senior member

The obvious answer is a navy blazer. You should ideally have it in a nice 9-10 oz fabric with brown MOP buttons. You can detail it with 2 patch pockets or even 3 if you want it very casual.

If you don't want a navy blazer or a grey jacket, my choice would be a tan camelhair jacket like the one Orgetorix and Nii posted recently -- very versatile and can be dressed up or down. It looks great with a pair of grey slacks and it would also look nice with the right jeans. Wear it with a regular tie, bowtie or go tieless per the occasion, but make sure that the jacket you buy fits you really well. Orgetorix's jacket is a good example of fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Navy Crispaire fresco, 2 patch + welt pocket. I've had it for years and works for most situations.

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

Sorry fellows ... I'm just not into the OneConcept.

9. koolhistorian

koolhistorian Senior member

Navy blazer - one for winter (flannel, cashmere) and one for summer - fresco, mohair, wool - linnen!

10. landshark

landshark Senior member

Navy sport coat > navy blazer.

11. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

I think the navy blazer is a bit overrated to be honest. I find that I rarely wear mine unless I'm wearing grey pants, and even then I often reach for a dark brown SC for fear that I'll look like a security guard in grey pants and a navy blazer.

12. cchen

cchen Senior member

What I think would be your ideal choice however would be a lighter weight (think 10-11 oz) tweed in one of the following colors - brown, blue or grey. You could do either a donegal or a subtle herringbone, of which I think a donegal would be more versatile.

"solid light gray" in a twill or other cloth that doesn't look like a suit.

any specific fabric books/brand recommendations on the above? I was just thinking that i need to have a very versatile sport coat made up

13. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I could easily do with only 2 SCs

a. navy SC
    b. light weight tweed SC in herringbone (black and white or brown and cream).

14. hermes man

hermes man Senior member

this Gucci jacket from 2010 F/W

[​IMG]

15. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

A navy wool cashmere blend in an all season fabric. 2 button, or 2-3 roll, double vented.

Mike

16. ChicagoMediaMan

ChicagoMediaMan Senior member

The right answer is really "blazer," but if you don't want that, I'm going to go very non-SF and suggest "solid light gray" in a twill or other cloth that doesn't look like a suit. It's almost as versatile as navy, the texture in the cloth adds interest, and the solid color will make it look dressier to most folks than something with a pattern.

This

17. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

This.

18. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

any specific fabric books/brand recommendations on the above? I was just thinking that i need to have a very versatile sport coat made up

I've been very happy with a navy blazersuit in Smith's Finmeresco. It's a little heavier and stretchier than H&S Crispaire.

19. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Navy Crispaire fresco, 2 patch + welt pocket. I've had it for years and works for most situations.

Pics?

20. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

It has much more relevance when one's current jacket count is zero.