• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke jacket: What would be your versatile "oneJacket" for all occasions?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
If you could only get 1 jacket MTM, what would be your "oneJacket" that could work in most occasions? Casual, social, work, etc. I think Navy solid is too generic. Maybe one detail to add SOME flair, like a subtle check, or purple pinstripe, etc. Worsted wool as its too suit/formal looking.
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Well, I think you have a few options. First, I would stay away from any stripe or check. It would automatically make the jacket not work with anything but a solid pant. Secondly, for navy, I would do a heavy hopsack weave. Hopsack is porous enough to breathe when its warmer out, but ina heavy weight also wearable in colder temps (I'm wearing my Navy hopsack today, and its freezing!). But Navy sometimes can come across as dressy, too dressy in some circles. If this is what you decide, brown horn buttons should be the way to go. What I think would be your ideal choice however would be a lighter weight (think 10-11 oz) tweed in one of the following colors - brown, blue or grey. You could do either a donegal or a subtle herringbone, of which I think a donegal would be more versatile. Donegal could be worn with any pattern or color, especially if there are lots of different specks of color in it, as there are in many donegals. The weight would make it ideal for year round use, and honestly the only thing it would NOT work with MAY be very dressy trousers. You could do this with khaki, wool, jeans, checks, plaids and could use many shirt tie combos as well. Hope that helps, and good luck.
As usual, solid advice from NYR. Your thoughts?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that I keep buying black sport coats. They seem pretty easy for me to match shirts with... pink, purple, gold, light blue, white.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably some sort of micro nailhead or micro hounds dark navy

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 -- my thoughts exactly. I would also add subtle navy herringbone or windowpane (with very faint lines).

Originally Posted by Rugger

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love donegal, but it would look odd in summer, unless you live somewhere that's perpetually snowy. That's also the trouble with dark brown.

The right answer is really "blazer," but if you don't want that, I'm going to go very non-SF and suggest "solid light gray" in a twill or other cloth that doesn't look like a suit. It's almost as versatile as navy, the texture in the cloth adds interest, and the solid color will make it look dressier to most folks than something with a pattern.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The obvious answer is a navy blazer. You should ideally have it in a nice 9-10 oz fabric with brown MOP buttons. You can detail it with 2 patch pockets or even 3 if you want it very casual.

If you don't want a navy blazer or a grey jacket, my choice would be a tan camelhair jacket like the one Orgetorix and Nii posted recently -- very versatile and can be dressed up or down. It looks great with a pair of grey slacks and it would also look nice with the right jeans. Wear it with a regular tie, bowtie or go tieless per the occasion, but make sure that the jacket you buy fits you really well. Orgetorix's jacket is a good example of fit.

Originally Posted by Orgetorix
DSCF6873.jpg

DSCF6875.jpg
DSCF6880.jpg

Originally Posted by niidawg3
6a9d7980.jpg

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy Crispaire fresco, 2 patch + welt pocket. I've had it for years and works for most situations.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry fellows ... I'm just not into the OneConcept.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Navy blazer - one for winter (flannel, cashmere) and one for summer - fresco, mohair, wool - linnen!

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the navy blazer is a bit overrated to be honest. I find that I rarely wear mine unless I'm wearing grey pants, and even then I often reach for a dark brown SC for fear that I'll look like a security guard in grey pants and a navy blazer.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
What I think would be your ideal choice however would be a lighter weight (think 10-11 oz) tweed in one of the following colors - brown, blue or grey. You could do either a donegal or a subtle herringbone, of which I think a donegal would be more versatile.

Originally Posted by Rugger

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
"solid light gray" in a twill or other cloth that doesn't look like a suit.

any specific fabric books/brand recommendations on the above? I was just thinking that i need to have a very versatile sport coat made up

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could easily do with only 2 SCs

a. navy SC
b. light weight tweed SC in herringbone (black and white or brown and cream).

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A navy wool cashmere blend in an all season fabric. 2 button, or 2-3 roll, double vented.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads