• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belvest vs. Martin Greenfield?

matthewmo

Reaction score
Kind of a random comparison, but since both are being offered on Gilt this week (and I'm still relatively new to the suiting world), I was wondering if you guys could comment on the qualities and how they compare to each other. I'm a slim guy looking for a tailored fit and a slim cut (not too boxy or too much of a full cut or else I get drowned in fabric), not sure how either of them fit. I do know that Martin Greenfield makes suits for Band of Outsiders and rag & bone, both of which are cut slim, but I don't know how slim Martin Greenfield's suits are.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Martin Greenfield are tailored but not slim. They are an updated classic style with beautiful handwork and roped shoulders. The amount of handwork is incredible.

Belvest is a slimmer Italian fit. They are also great suits.

Really you should wait for more "hickey" to show up on Gilt, as they are very modern. Also the Hickey-Freeman "C" body. Both show up on Gilt frequently.

But of the two you mentioned, you will be happiest with Belvest, and you'll get a top-quality suit.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Belvest any day. I have a lot of experience with both as I did MTM with Belvest at Gieves and until recently Greenfield did my MTM. Belvest is a better made garment.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Belvest. Better fit and better made.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own four Belvests, not slim, as I am not slim,
They are among the best RTW garments available.
Not mentioned here is Battistoni, which is comparable
to Belvest in quality.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score

Kind of a random comparison, but since both are being offered on Gilt this week (and I'm still relatively new to the suiting world), I was wondering if you guys could comment on the qualities and how they compare to each other. I'm a slim guy looking for a tailored fit and a slim cut (not too boxy or too much of a full cut or else I get drowned in fabric), not sure how either of them fit. I do know that Martin Greenfield makes suits for Band of Outsiders and rag & bone, both of which are cut slim, but I don't know how slim Martin Greenfield's suits are.
these are really very different suits... greenfield is typically more constructed, stronger shoulder, stiffer canvas. somewhat odd and rather short cut for the jacket that you will either like or hate. belvest is a neapolitan-ish cut with a typically softer shoulder, longer coat (than greenfield), open quarters, and closer fit. it is also dramatically lighter in weight and feel than greenfield (belvest's calling card is lightweight tailoring). personally, i find belvest far more to my liking, but that's personal taste. you should try both.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Belvest is a little better made. I have a Belvest suit and the quality is superb. I don't have an MTM Greenfield, but I do have a RTW from Duncan Quinn, which should have been made by Greenfield. It's a very good garment, but IMO Belvest is better overall.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What prompted the move away from Greenfield?

I knew someone would ask me that.

In a nutshell I want to keep upping the quality and exclusivity of the product whenever possible. Greenfield makes for a lot of my competitors and I wanted a product that was different and of an even higher quality than what they were offering.

S. Able

Reaction score

In a nutshell I want to keep upping the quality and exclusivity of the product whenever possible. Greenfield makes for a lot of my competitors and I wanted a product that was different and of an even higher quality than what they were offering.

Your post was begging for the question :) and you answer seems very sensible. As someone in the trade, do you see much difference in the best that Greenfield, Jules and Primo produce?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not say Belvest are better made than Greenfield, not going by examples of suits I have. Belvest arguably use nicer fabrics and have slimmer cuts, but both are good suits in their price range. I personally prefer the cut and drape of Belvest, and look more often for their suits than most labels.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your post was begging for the question :) and you answer seems very sensible. As someone in the trade, do you see much difference in the best that Greenfield, Jules and Primo produce?

Yes there is a difference. Theoretically they could probably all produce pretty much anything but are they prepared to? That's the question and probably the difference. I have actually switched to Primo. I have been working with them closely over the summer to produce a more English cut and look to my garments, also as a standard I think Primo beats the other two in construction. I would have used Oxxford but the price point would have put it on par with my bespoke and I didn't like being so far away from a supplier.

I think it's fair to say though that any company using Greenfield, Jules or Primo is fielding a very high end MTM.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads