• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this suit fit me? Spier & Mackay Neo Cut Contemporary

noblehorse

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm very new here :)

I recently bought a navy suit from Spier & Mackay, largely based off of their positive reviews on this forum. The suit is size 38R and I opted for the contemporary cut rather than slim.

I've attached some photos of me wearing the unaltered suit. Can you comment on how well it fits, did I get the right size and cut, etc.? And which modifications should I ask a tailor to make?

Let me know if any other angles would be helpful, and thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_0772.jpeg
    IMG_0772.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0773.jpeg
    IMG_0773.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0774.jpeg
    IMG_0774.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 609

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
Need a better rear view picture but the jacket appears to be far too short (it should completely cover your rear end). And that is not something a tailor can fix.

noblehorse

Reaction score
Need a better rear view picture but the jacket appears to be far too short (it should completely cover your rear end). And that is not something a tailor can fix.
In that case I'm not sure even a 38L would be long enough. It's only one inch longer than the 38R according to the sizing guide. Should I assume that S&M suits aren't a good fit for me?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s something odd about the frontal picture. Are the trousers sitting at the correct height? If they’re sitting too low maybe that’s why the jacket looks short. At 5’10” a 38R should be the right length.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'11 and I wear an R (contemporary) but can also wear an L in S&M SC or suit.
Everyones torso to leg ratio is a bit different and this is a factor to consider.
But judging from the pics I would try an L.

I just received this DB SC and it is a 42R Contemporary. Slim is too tight around my midsection
I weigh about 190lbs

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_22e7.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_22e7.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 491

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads