• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basic trouser altering question

radio3

Reaction score
I seem to fall right between 46 and 48 (EU/Italy) sizing in trousers, which is annoying since I can't just buy trousers and have them look right. I've typically hunted down size 31 (inch) chinos as a workaround, but they're hard to find and the selection is poor.

I'm thinking of starting to buy 48s and having them "taken in" instead. Can anyone tell me whether or not this is likely to be a preferable strategy? I once had the waist taken in on some chinos before and was unsatisfied with the result, which was the same as if I had just started wearing a belt all the time.

Is it very complicated to turn a size 48 trouser into a size "47"? How do they make the seat correctly proportioned (i.e., no diaper butt)? I would think it would require completely disassembling the entire trouser, therefore being expensive.

Any advice on whether or not routinely buying trousers that you know are a bit too big and hoping a tailor will be able to make them "just right" without extravagant expense would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to trying to dress well.

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I seem to fall right between 46 and 48 (EU/Italy) sizing in trousers, which is annoying since I can't just buy trousers and have them look right. I've typically hunted down size 31 (inch) chinos as a workaround, but they're hard to find and the selection is poor.

I'm thinking of starting to buy 48s and having them "taken in" instead. Can anyone tell me whether or not this is likely to be a preferable strategy? I once had the waist taken in on some chinos before and was unsatisfied with the result, which was the same as if I had just started wearing a belt all the time.

Is it very complicated to turn a size 48 trouser into a size "47"? How do they make the seat correctly proportioned (i.e., no diaper butt)? I would think it would require completely disassembling the entire trouser, therefore being expensive.

Any advice on whether or not routinely buying trousers that you know are a bit too big and hoping a tailor will be able to make them "just right" without extravagant expense would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to trying to dress well.

Shameless plug coming right up, but have you ever tried made to measure options?

radio3

Reaction score
Shameless plug coming right up, but have you ever tried made to measure options?

I do shirts made to measure and would do a suit that way too, but assumed chinos are more complicated. Wouldn't I want to go with some kind of company that specializes in chinos and/or trousers in general? There are so many materials and, unless I'm mistaken, specialized treatments (at lest with typical Incotex chinos, it seems to me).

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Taking in the seat and waist is pretty easy. If you want the whole leg tapered as well, that'll take more time obviously. Just find a recommended tailor in your area and get a quote. Shouldn't be bad at all.

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I do shirts made to measure and would do a suit that way too, but assumed chinos are more complicated. Wouldn't I want to go with some kind of company that specializes in chinos and/or trousers in general? There are so many materials and, unless I'm mistaken, specialized treatments (at lest with typical Incotex chinos, it seems to me).

There are certainly a few options available. We're starting with Denim soon, sourcing the MTM denim from Japan. The rise cannot be changed on these, but the width can certainly be adjusted at a trusted tailor. To taper them shouldn't be too difficult either. Best of luck!

radio3

Reaction score
There are certainly a few options available. We're starting with Denim soon, sourcing the MTM denim from Japan. The rise cannot be changed on these, but the width can certainly be adjusted at a trusted tailor. To taper them shouldn't be too difficult either. Best of luck!

I am also interested in denim. Can you say what the ballpark prices will be and when you expect to start the offering?

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am also interested in denim. Can you say what the ballpark prices will be and when you expect to start the offering?

Great - Retail price will be around USD 280-300 for the handmade Japanese denim, which is a great original retail price for handmade jeans. We'll start with a 12oz selvedge denim fabric, in black and blue. The fabric is fantastic and has a bit of stretch in it. We need some folks for the first test run, and will be offering 5 people to join at 20% discount. DM us if you're interested. We just sent out the first batch to Sweden. Since it is made to order, it'll take around 30 days.

process:
  1. Select waist (eg 31")
  2. Customize length
  3. Select Leg Hem width (to taper)
  4. Select color (blue/black)
  5. Select rivets/buttons (three choices)
  6. Select pocket (three choices)
  7. Select inside pocket (two choices)

Cheers,
Karin

radio3

Reaction score
Great - Retail price will be around USD 280-300 for the handmade Japanese denim, which is a great original retail price for handmade jeans. We'll start with a 12oz selvedge denim fabric, in black and blue. The fabric is fantastic and has a bit of stretch in it. We need some folks for the first test run, and will be offering 5 people to join at 20% discount. DM us if you're interested. We just sent out the first batch to Sweden. Since it is made to order, it'll take around 30 days.

process:
  1. Select waist (eg 31")
  2. Customize length
  3. Select Leg Hem width (to taper)
  4. Select color (blue/black)
  5. Select rivets/buttons (three choices)
  6. Select pocket (three choices)
  7. Select inside pocket (two choices)

Cheers,
Karin

I would like to pick rise and thigh width as well. Will those not be available? Overall, my ideal size is 31.75"W, 10" front rise, 11.25" Thigh, and 6.9" leg opening, in case that is relevant.

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Excellent - let me PM you and I'll share some more information about our options. Any ideas on the back rise?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads