• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spier & Mackay Contemporary 40R Fit Check

sgof

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking to buy a summer weight suit from Spier & Mackay. I already own a suit from them, but I don't work out as much as I did back then and so my body shape has changed. I think that I need to size down to a 38R and maybe go for the slim fit instead of the contemporary, but I was hoping that I could get a 2nd opinion based on how my other S&M suit currently fits.

I bought this suit in late 2019. I had the sleeves taken up and I felt that the jacket fit well at the time, although my shoulders are uneven, so I'm not sure whether it's possible for an OTR jacket to fit perfectly. In hindsight I think the trousers would look better with a shorter inseam.

Thank you for reading

back1.jpg
front1.jpg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a long, but I am not entirely sure this coat is hugging your neck that well. The very, very low camera angle makes things a bit tough.

Can you put on a proper collared shirt, collar buttoned with the coat?

I don't want to go on record simply with "get a 40L" because I am not sold on the collar fit

sgof

Reaction score
You need a long, but I am not entirely sure this coat is hugging your neck that well. The very, very low camera angle makes things a bit tough.

Can you put on a proper collared shirt, collar buttoned with the coat?

I don't want to go on record simply with "get a 40L" because I am not sold on the collar fit
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, that was a good catch that I hadn't noticed until I put on the shirt.

I don't know that it shows that well in the full body picture because it's not that obvious when my arms are at my sides (to my untrained eyes at least). I think the close up shows it a bit better, but there is definitely a noticable collar gap if I even slightly raise my arms.

frontshirt.jpg
front_close.jpg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, this is one of those awkward things that can happen in these discussions - I think your right shoulder is... somewhat interesting. I am an idiot consumer, not a tailor. But it doesn't look purely "dropped", but almost set back a CM or two - as if I had offered you $500 cash to roll your right shoulder back - it looks like because it is set back, it throws open the coat on that side. This seems t pull the right side of the coat more open and off the collar.

As as self confessed idiot, I don't know if this is merely a posture thing, or some thing that any MTM program could improve on.

But I basically think for this particular cut, a 40L would drop the buttoning point and increase the length of the coat, and both of those are things I think would be improvements in the abstract, but neither will impact what is going on with your right side.

sgof

Reaction score
So, this is one of those awkward things that can happen in these discussions - I think your right shoulder is... somewhat interesting. I am an idiot consumer, not a tailor. But it doesn't look purely "dropped", but almost set back a CM or two - as if I had offered you $500 cash to roll your right shoulder back - it looks like because it is set back, it throws open the coat on that side. This seems t pull the right side of the coat more open and off the collar.

As as self confessed idiot, I don't know if this is merely a posture thing, or some thing that any MTM program could improve on.

But I basically think for this particular cut, a 40L would drop the buttoning point and increase the length of the coat, and both of those are things I think would be improvements in the abstract, but neither will impact what is going on with your right side.
Yesmy right shoulder is lower and set slightly forwards and always has been. Poor posture is definitely exarcerbating it and that would help to explain why the jacket fits so much worse than it used to, but it's not something that standing up straighter would completely fix.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help, getting a 40L definitely isn't the direction that I would have gone in if I hadn't asked for advice, so I'm glad that I did.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads