• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm getting ready to take the plunge on a pair of balmoral boots, but they seem like a somewhat elusive beast. With the exception of the Crockett & Jones Somerville, I haven't been able to find a pair for sale online. So I'm turning to you, the keepers of the balmoral boot flame, for a little help.

Here are the parameters:

I have about $800 to lay down on these, so anything beyond that is probably outside of my price range. I know this rules out bespoke, but surely some must be available in RTW.

I'd prefer a pair in brown (suede uppers are a plus) but wouldn't look askance at a pair in black.

No medallion on the toe, only cap or punch.

I must actually be able to purchase a pair, either in the Houston area, or online. Anything I'd have to travel long distances to get would blow my budget.

ncdobson

Reaction score

diglett

Reaction score
Picked up these from Francos for $500
Rider RBBAL 2 in brown calfskin

Damn, Namor, those are killer! I'm in the same boat as kungapa; Franco's is out of stock of my size. How is the quality of Rider? I saw the Rider x Leffot tweed MTO pair a while back, and they look absolutely amazing. (And I think there was a black shell with red sole pair that might have been Rider, as well)

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^ http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3465222 Check the Carmina Appreciation link for those linked above & others. http://www.bespoke-england.co.uk/search?q=boot&go.x=0&go.y=0&go=Go Those may be more than you want to spend. http://www.upper-shoes.com/ Upper Shoes has both C&J Somervilles in funky colors & Edward Greens. I don't own any of those boots, but I like to ogle them. Good luck. Report back.
[ You can also MTO a bal boot from Carmina for under $800 in anything other than shell if the brown suede Forest captoe isn't perfect.
Thanks to you both for the recommendations. I had seen the C&J boots on the Upper Shoes site. Any details on the Carmina MTO program? I've scoured their website, and haven't been able to find any info. Do they offer a choice of leathers and lasts? MTO may be a better deal for me, as my feet are a size and a half different.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where you could order this?
tumblr_ma2dhoz9tQ1rof6eno1_r1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks to you both for the recommendations. I had seen the C&J boots on the Upper Shoes site. Any details on the Carmina MTO program? I've scoured their website, and haven't been able to find any info. Do they offer a choice of leathers and lasts? MTO may be a better deal for me, as my feet are a size and a half different.

I think MTO is the only option. For example left is 9 and right is 10.5?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think MTO is the only option. For example left is 9 and right is 10.5?

Left is 8E and right is 9.5D. Because they're about the same in actual width, I am able to get away with a 9.5, but a MTO situation where I could get the right size shoe for each foot would be desirable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads