• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Average Joe at Pitti Uomo

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no desire to attend Pitti, but these photos make it seem much more appealing than the staged, peacocked, background blurred images that make it seem like an extended exercise in vanity. Very interesting to see this behind the scenes look. Well done.

very well said.......my feelings eggsaktlee

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thought there were some well dressed ladies

- the woman in red, white and black outside and the woman in the white blouse at the Ring booth

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but these photos make it seem much more appealing than the staged, peacocked, background blurred images that make it seem like an extended exercise in vanity.

It's ironic you say this considering your IG is filled with exactly this LoL. And I say that as an avid follower of your account.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I knew I ran the risk of this criticism with my comment, and you aren't wrong. I do think there is a difference of kind, however. First off, I would like to recognize that, with very few exceptions, all of our pictures are staged to one degree or another. I think that some people are better at effecting a nonchalance in their photos despite this. That's what I try to do, even though everyone who follows me knows that I know I'm being photographed. Whether I succeed or not is not for me to tell you.

On the other hand, I think that the runway poses that people often try to effect at things like Pitti mostly end up looking bad and affected. Just my thoughts on this.

Oh, and I rarely think my pics are peacockish. YMMV. ;)

NycLondon

Reaction score
I have no desire to attend Pitti, but these photos make it seem much more appealing than the staged, peacocked, background blurred images that make it seem like an extended exercise in vanity. Very interesting to see this behind the scenes look. Well done.
I disagree completely, I find this pictures even more depressing than the posed ones. The content is less than mundane and they are poorly framed.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
s4dTtBy.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks Josh. Yep, those are the guys that I think I saw. Generally, I like their style.
Thinkderm, that may not have been the Ringjacket booth, but I can see how the way I posted the pic implied that.
NycLondon, I think there's something to your criticism. I definitely have no training as a photographer and just pointed my phone at things that caught my eye or just because I wanted to document a scene. Sometimes, I would just turn around in one spot and take a few pictures (as in the first several shots below and the first several in the OP). I even took a few pics while walking and without looking at the screen. As mentioned, my main goal was simply to give people something like the experience of being there and not to select the best of things or to promote some viewpoint. I wouldn't claim that's the best way to cover Pitti, but I chose it because it was easy and I guessed/hoped others might find it interesting. Personally, I found pretty much everything at Pitti to be interesting, but I'm generally that way.

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Florescent red or orange sneakers were pretty common. I didn't purposely take pics of them, but they happened to be in these three images.
IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

Perhaps my favorite woman's outfit
IMG_0248.jpg

The two most unusual men's outfits I saw, one in mustard 80s Armani-like clothes + contemporary hipster hairstyle:
IMG_0249.jpg

and a pirate
IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Here's some random pics of various booths.
I was surprised to see Eastpak there, but I liked their stuff. The white bags up top looked like they were made of cuben fiber, but I didn't check. It would be neat if they were using it, like ZPacks or Hyperlite Mountain Gear.
IMG_0395.jpg

This company's logo reminded me of BAPE and Supreme put together, so I was ready to hate it, also because of the oversized zipper. But I kind of liked the designs.
IMG_0221.jpg

Clarks had some triple soled chukkas that seemed as rigid as wood
IMG_0394.jpg

This origami purse reminded me of something, but I can't think of what.
IMG_0222.jpg

Other fun things
IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Not the best brand name, imo:
IMG_0175.jpg

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
I was surprised by how popular New Balance is in Italy. Half the mannequins in storefronts and a good portion of Pitti attendies and regular people seemed to be wearing them. I liked some of their designs but the woman with the scanner (white NB t-shirt) told me no pictures.
IMG_0396.jpg

This brand is all over Italy and I liked their display
IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

Cargo shorts (as above) were really common among Italian men. There's definitely an increasing globalization of culture. Americans are dressing more like Europeans and Europeans like Americans. My last time in Italy was 2012, and I wasn't struck nearly as much then as I was this time by how similar people there seemed to dress as people here. SF hipsters with their beards, tattoos, dangling key chains, and tight selvedge jeans, and sneakers, would be very at home in Florence, at least at Pitti. When I studied abroad in 1995, you could usually tell where someone was from by his/her dress. But now it's really tough. A few days after Pitti, while walking around in Milan, it seemed that most people were wearing graphic tees. And I counted 30-something with English words, incl. brand names, before I saw one in another language (Le Coq Sportif). I told my cousin who works for a children's clothing company based in Milan, and she said they only put English words on their clothing, since nothing else sells. Kind of sad imo.

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree completely, I find this pictures even more depressing than the posed ones. The content is less than mundane and they are poorly framed.

Oh boo.

The whole point is that this is what you actually see at Pitti. Not the handful of highly curated photos carefully chosen from a dozen photographer's full SD cards so that they accurately reflect your brand image.

emptym

Reaction score
Some MC/CM stuff:
A Japanese tie maker that uses kimono material, iirc (copying Vanda?)
IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

A French maker of shoe care supplies, family owned, over 100 yrs old, uses only natural, non-petrolium ingredients, if I understood correctly:
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0404.jpg

An Italian shoemaker, with tiny slip-ons in different colors, just like a display at Paul Stuarts in NY. This was the only display with a working craftsman, that I saw at least. Forgot the name of the company. They didn't allow pictures of their new line either. They were all about dyes and patina, as you can see. I didn't love the designs, except for the plain toe slip ons of the tiny models.
IMG_0330.jpg

Sadly, these guys didn't seem very popular. I've owned one of their sweaters for almost 30 years. It's been great. No idea if the quality is still the same.
IMG_0324.jpg

Can't remember the name of this brand. Italian, starts with a Z, not Zegna or Zanella...
IMG_0268.jpg

It seemed like they had a room each for different types of art. I recall ones for painting, architecture, and video, maybe others.
IMG_0271.jpg

I liked this shirt
IMG_0272.jpg

The words seemed random, but I thought it'd be neat to have a poem printed, or part of one's favorite novel, scripture, or something.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Some final views of Pitti, most of them as you're leaving the fort:
IMG_0283.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0345.jpg
IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Just outside the main exit
IMG_0355.jpg

Free shuttle bus service to many hotels
IMG_0358.jpg

It had almost no lines when we went, but the taxi line was huge:
IMG_0356.jpg

That's all I've got for Pitti, but I'll post a few more pics of our following trip to Pisa, Cararra, Parma, and Milan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads