• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

boff

Reaction score

Folks, I'm at an age now where I need a new wallet. I looked in the UK & US recently but they were all too wide/narrow to fit our weird-shaped Aussie notes.

Where should I begin my search?

Digging up an old post - I'm a Bisonte fan :) Hunt Leather in Balmain has them.

I love my Bisonte. I say treat it rough, it can take it. Not speaking from a position of any authority mind you. From memory it takes about 6 months to darken up and wear in.

I'm on my second. It's about 3 years old now.

ovlov

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with local shoemakers?

A friend of mine from Melbourne recently started boasting about commissioning - amongst other things - a pair of boots from his "local cordwainer". I must say they look very nice leather, wing tip two tone (black/burgundy). They cost him about $900 apparently and made on his own last. It never occurred to me to look into bespoke shoemaking from someone other than C&J/EG/JL/etc. This seems insanely cheap for what he got. Anyone here had experience with local shoemakers and what if any pitfalls there are to commissioning something like this?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ovlov, there are a few cordwainers around, a chap in Sydney by the name of Andrew MacDonald being probably the best known of them at present. There's also a made-to-order shoe business run out of "Beggar Man Thief" in Melbourne, although I'm not sure how far they go in terms of making a last to fit your foot and so on.

MacDonald (well, I think that's his name) in Sydney appears to be technically proficient but most of the examples of his work that I have seen fall very much into the fashion/streetwear category of footwear - weathered leather boots with straps and buckles and very bowed soles, for example.

Probably the most knowledgeable person in regard to Melbourne cordwainers is a former Styleforum member with the username "The Shooman".

He was banned from SF some years ago and he now posts over on the "Film Noir Buff" forum (or FNB forum), still with the Shooman username.

Shooman has gone to considerable effort to track down old cordwainers in Melbourne and had a last made for himself, before commissioning a couple of pairs of bespoke shoes from some of the old shoemakers.

If you have a look at his threads on the FNB forum documenting his experiences with Melbourne shoemakers, there are some interesting photographs and information.

Last edited:

patbuyonlin

Reaction score
It is cheaper than most white pointy shoes from Aquila. Herringbone also stock rebadged Cheaney shoes.
7.gif

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is cheaper than most white pointy shoes from Aquila. Herringbone also stock rebadged Cheaney shoes.

Herringbone used to stock rebadged Cheaney shoes, but they stopped doing so four or five years ago, and started selling Crockett & Jones shoes.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a guy in Melbourne who trades as Wootton, in Prahran. Have never visited but was reading a write-up in Monocle not five minutes ago. The examples on the website aren't quite to my taste colour wise, and some are a bit 'distressed', but they are Blake-stitched and the quality looks okay as long as decent leathers are available.

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shanghai Tianzi Shoes. You'll get bespoke/MTM shoes for a heckuva lot less than McDonald and his like charge and it'll look a darn sight better too. None of those upturned pixy shoes there (unless you particularly want one of those monstrosities).

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you have foot problems I don't think there's great value in a bespoke shoe.

ovlov

Reaction score
Unless you have foot problems I don't think there's great value in a bespoke shoe.

I'd agree. But I do have pretty badly mismatched feet and at sub $1k that's not much more than I?'d be looking at for RTW C&J or Carminas.

ovlov

Reaction score
Aren't C&J Handgrade and Carminas about $700?

I don't have that much experience with shoe pricing being in Adelaide and buying everything on sale anyhow. I haven;t been yet but I was under the impression that pretty much everything stocked by Double Monk besides CJ bench was starting around the 800-900 mark.

Anyhow I'm just considering options atm. Getting married in a few months and trying to work out what a can justify squeezing out of the wedding budget.
Speaking of which what do you guys think? Suit from Suit Shop and Shoes from DM? or get pimping with PJohnson and wear the shoes I already have?

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyhow I'm just considering options atm. Getting married in a few months and trying to work out what a can justify squeezing out of the wedding budget.
Speaking of which what do you guys think? Suit from Suit Shop and Shoes from DM? or get pimping with PJohnson and wear the shoes I already have?

What shoes do you already have?

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aren't C&J Handgrade and Carminas about $700?
Getting married in a few months and trying to work out what a can justify squeezing out of the wedding budget. 

Get married on a beach...go barefoot and splurge on a suit...and ensure you invite fxh (with a no shoes, no socks dress code)...sorry could not resist.

Depending on what shoes you have already a suit from Suit Shop and some good shoes (maybe from DM) would be a good way to go. Bad shoes ruin even the best suits, great shoes elevate a whole outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads