• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply fxh, I'll elaborate a bit more to make it a bit easier. 

The main reason for my trip is to try and get my sizing sorted out. I've found my online purchases wearable, but I feel like with some time spent I can find better fits. I'm sticking around 200-250/pair, which puts me in the realm of Loake/Barker/etc, mostly because a student budget doesn't let me stretch much further. I'm starting from scratch, so the first pair would be black cap-toes, then working from there I suppose. I'd probably also take my time to try on a couple of pairs of higher end, more to get the feel for the quality and advantage of them, but I can't see myself blowing $500 or so on a pair just yet. 

I wouldn't mind checking out P. Johnson either, from all the good things I've been hearing about them, as well as anything else you can recommend at the lower end of the scale (the SF scale that is :p). 

Good $250 shoes are more than serviceable and can last you a long time so you have no need to justify anything. I have a pair of Herring for $150, Bexley's $150, Cheaneys $200 and Borrellis for $280 and none of them have died on me yet. The only pair of shoes that really died on me were a pair of those Apostles I got from Myer for $60.

With purchasing shoes, I say you can just go back online and buy shoes in the same lasts, just half size up or down depending on how you feel about your current shoes. Half sizes don't make so much difference that it can make them unwearable if your current shoes are slightly big or small.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got a few shirts that need some slimming so I'm looking for a new alterationist. Has anyone tried G&M Galati on Elgin St near Lygon?
I popped in and the prices seemed very reasonable, I'd just like a vote of confidence about the work they do. If no one has I'll bite the bullet and report back.

I used him for a few things while back. There was nothing wrong with the work but the prices were more expensive than Katrinas. This was a few years ago though.

I asked a few pages back whether anyone knew of any cheap barbers in the conservative business dress. Found two today within 50m of each other: Ab's and Ossie both on Flinders Lane near Market st. Anyone been to either of them? Both are 15$ for a clippers cut/20$ for a haircut I believe. I was also recommended Vince and Dom on Bourke st but I haven't had a look yet.

xiaoli

Reaction score
On haircuts, I look young for my age, and usually go to the Korean places, but always walk out looking like a schoolboy.

Any good honest barber recommendation from Sydney folks?

Last edited:

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

I used him for a few things while back. There was nothing wrong with the work but the prices were more expensive than Katrinas. This was a few years ago though.

Thanks, Katrina's is the other place I've been meaning to check out.

In shoe news I had a look at Carmina's online store and they have added a lot more styles. Sizes are limited in some but the pirces are pretty great. The cheaper models (basic oxfords and the like) are available for about $400 including shipping. $500 for boots and shell models can be had for under $600.

They also seem to have updated their checkout process so that it's easier for international purchases.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

I checked out the online store and it's way better than it used to be. I was looking at plain toe bluchers and this one caught my eye - anyone else feel like some doughnuts? D'oh!

I've always liked the look of the 3-eyelet simpson last bluchers that the armoury has offered. I think it looks just as good in suede.

I've mainly been tempted by the single monk, burgundy boot(dangerously burgundy) and the suede boot

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Katrina's is the other place I've been meaning to check out.
In shoe news I had a look at Carmina's online store and they have added a lot more styles. Sizes are limited in some but the pirces are pretty great. The cheaper models (basic oxfords and the like) are available for about $400 including shipping. $500 for boots and shell models can be had for under $600.
They also seem to have updated their checkout process so that it's easier for international purchases.

This does not bode well for the wallet...

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ agreed ... prospects for the wallet do not look good

hands down best shoe on the site

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The higher numbers of Australians heading overseas on holiday and doing their shopping there is having a more damaging effect on the retail sector than online shopping, according to BIS Shrapnel managing director Robert Mellor.

Mellor said internet shopping was an important factor in the current challenges facing retail, but stressed that the “lost dollars” from people travelling and spending overseas was a “more critical factor” in the current soft market during an address in Melbourne recently.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the number of Australians travelling abroad rose to 7.8 million in 2011, and Australians took nearly 2 million more overseas trips in 2011 than they did in 2010.

A survey released by Roy Morgan in October last year showed that overseas travel intentions are at their highest point in five years, with one in 10 Australians planning to go abroad in 2012.

BIS Shrapnel is forecasting a stabilisation in retail construction in 2012-13 with building commencements rising 7% to $4.65 billion in 2012-13 following a contraction of 11% to $4.35 billion in 2011-12.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, I'd like to get your thoughts on what you all consider to be excellent customer service.

This need not be restricted to the world of menswear, but I'd just like to get a feel for what everyone thinks constitutes it and to see if a consensus emerges as to what it is.

:)

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Say hello and smile when people walk into your store.
Know your product.
Offer advice without being pushy.
Don't gush.
Go the extra mile to find a size, colour.
Never, ever, ever say 'that looks good on you'.
If I ask for a 7, don't tell me you have it in a 9.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply fxh, I'll elaborate a bit more to make it a bit easier. 

The main reason for my trip is to try and get my sizing sorted out. I've found my online purchases wearable, but I feel like with some time spent I can find better fits. I'm sticking around 200-250/pair, which puts me in the realm of Loake/Barker/etc, mostly because a student budget doesn't let me stretch much further. I'm starting from scratch, so the first pair would be black cap-toes, then working from there I suppose. I'd probably also take my time to try on a couple of pairs of higher end, more to get the feel for the quality and advantage of them, but I can't see myself blowing $500 or so on a pair just yet. 

I wouldn't mind checking out P. Johnson either, from all the good things I've been hearing about them, as well as anything else you can recommend at the lower end of the scale (the SF scale that is :p). 

As others will point out trying on shoes in small shops and then buying online isn't encouraged here. (None of us have much compunction about doing it in DJs or Myers as we all figure we have paid for the privilege through the nose over the years anyway and both treat customers like a bogan at the opera) {plus I reckon on my own I've paid over the odds for enough stuff at both places in the past to allow for a few blow ins from Adelaide to use them too} In addition the shops are very in tune with that going on and will suss you before you can say "Excuse me ". Sometimes they'll even go so far as to say "Don't touch" if they think you are a online buyer.

Last I looked at DJs in the conservative business dress they had very few Loakes etc. McClouds have a lot, so does Beggar Man Thief in Clarendon St, South Melb. Both small shops.

If you are a student starting from scratch I don't think I'd suggest starting with a black cap toe. Sure its a basic conservative staple. Its often paid homage to more in theory than practice. But if you are young or just starting out you don't really want a theoretical conservative staple - you want a versatile shoe that wont look out of place with a suit or a pair of jeans and chinos - and one which will wear well (and stand scrutiny by any passing iGentts you might encounter in Rundle Mall). If you asked me I'd be suggesting for your first basic "real" shoe you get a dark brown/ leaf brown half brogue. Or a dark mahogany.

If you are young don't try and dress like an old man (or a footballer.)

Adelaide is interesting - there is lots of old money around and strong connections with UK. I found the second hand shops and opshops had a few nice items - tweed coats, english shoes etc. Theres an opshop run by the Anglicans near the church just on the edge of conservative business dress and a second hand shop with a bit of "vintage" clothes shoes etc on Prospect Road just not far from RMs at Percy Street. I thought you could do worse than some of RMs new business shoes if you were so inclined. Which brings up the point - why not think of one good pair of RMs boots that could function in all kinds of wear? And you''ll be able to get the size right , plus you know they'll wear very well, and can be repaired and are iGentt approved. Check out their seconds shop in Salisbury.

You say you haven't had a lot of luck with online shoes - what sort of shoes and sizes did you buy and what exactly is the problem as you see it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads