• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selvaggio

Reaction score

On haircuts, I look young for my age, and usually go to the Korean places, but always walk out looking like a schoolboy.
Any good honest barber recommendation from Sydney folks?

I go to Grand Royal Barbers in town. They have a branch at Darlinghurst as well. They are a true barber shop in ambience and services - for instance, you could get a shave there. But they have a greater range than a really traditional barber shop - that is, you could get something quite trendy if that was your thing.

They are a bit more than your some barbers - but I have always had good service there.

http://www.grandroyalbarbers.com.au/

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On haircuts, I look young for my age, and usually go to the Korean places, but always walk out looking like a schoolboy.
Any good honest barber recommendation from Sydney folks?

Pm blahman - hes starting a Korean Boy band. A tribute band - first up its practice at KTV - but hey we all gotta start some where.

Last edited:

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others will point out trying on shoes in small shops and then buying online isn't encouraged here. (None of us have much compunction about doing it in DJs or Myers as we all figure we have paid for the privilege through the nose over the years anyway and both treat customers like a bogan at the opera) {plus I reckon on my own I've paid over the odds for enough stuff at both places in the past to allow for a few blow ins from Adelaide to use them too} In addition the shops are very in tune with that going on and will suss you before you can say "Excuse me ". Sometimes they'll even go so far as to say "Don't touch" if they think you are a online buyer.
Last I looked at DJs in the conservative business dress they had very few Loakes etc. McClouds have a lot, so does Beggar Man Thief in Clarendon St, South Melb. Both small shops.
If you are a student starting from scratch I don't think I'd suggest starting with a black cap toe. Sure its a basic conservative staple. Its often paid homage to more in theory than practice. But if you are young or just starting out you don't really want a theoretical conservative staple - you want a versatile shoe that wont look out of place with a suit or a pair of jeans and chinos - and one which will wear well (and stand scrutiny by any passing iGentts you might encounter in Rundle Mall). If you asked me I'd be suggesting for your first basic "real" shoe you get a dark brown/ leaf brown half brogue. Or a dark mahogany.
If you are young don't try and dress like an old man (or a footballer.)
Adelaide is interesting - there is lots of old money around and strong connections with UK. I found the second hand shops and opshops had a few nice items - tweed coats, english shoes etc. Theres an opshop run by the Anglicans near the church just on the edge of conservative business dress and a second hand shop with a bit of "vintage" clothes shoes etc on Prospect Road just not far from RMs at Percy Street. I thought you could do worse than some of RMs new business shoes if you were so inclined. Which brings up the point - why not think of one good pair of RMs boots that could function in all kinds of wear? And you''ll be able to get the size right , plus you know they'll wear very well, and can be repaired and are iGentt approved. Check out their seconds shop in Salisbury.
You say you haven't had a lot of luck with online shoes - what sort of shoes and sizes did you buy and what exactly is the problem as you see it?

I very much agree with you regarding the trying on of shoes in small shops.

I was planning to pick up at least one pair on my travels, even at a grossly inflated price, to get myself back in the black, karma wise. I don’t seem to find the markup on clothing, in comparison to shoes, quite so bad though? I know we still pay through the nose, but to a lesser extent. Which makes the shoes all the less palatable to buy over here. Maybe I should postpone my Melbourne jaunt and make it a London jaunt, or something similar.
I’ll tackle the next bit backwards, as it seems to be simpler. I’ve ordered a couple of pairs which just tend to hurt badly after some time. I’ve a pair of Loake ‘Kew’ in black, 9.5G, which while I love, I cannot bear to wear for more than an hour, and thus will be making their way to the B&S shortly. These seem to be all wrong for my foot, both not bending in the right place for the ball of my foot, as well as just being small. They also pinch my ankle bone on one side, which is unfortunate. I’ve also a pair of Grenson boots in a dark tan (also 9.5G), which, while probably half a size small are serviceable for extended periods. I suspect the latter is due to boots tending to run wider? The best of the lot are a pair of black Barker wingtips (10G) on danite. They still pinch slightly on my left foot, but it’s only very slight. There’s a pair of these in conker calf, too.
More than anything it just seems to be my mistakes and excitement to order biting me **********, with the first two pairs being too small. The Kew’s are a chisel toed shoe thought, which I’m beginning to see doesn’t suit wide fittings well? I suppose this sort of sparked my trip idea of spending a day getting well acquainted with a few brands as well as my own feet.
I wasn’t aware RM’s made any traditional work shoes? Or are you referring to the balmoral/chukka boots they have introduced recently? I did nip out to their factory outlet not long ago, but I can’t say I like the Chelsea boot style much in comparison to more traditional half brogues/etc.
I also can’t seem to get my head around wearing second hand shoes, which rules out op-shopping for them, unfortunately. I’d say probably the only thing I would wear second hand is jackets, as well as accessories. Wearing other pieces just doesn’t sit quite right, unfortunately for my wallet.
Thanks for the advice regarding brown/mahogany. I was looking towards this for my next purchase, after my trip, so there were no more mistakes which caused me heartache. I've placed myself on a no spend sort of deal until I can get fitted decently. It sounds stupid but I've not been brannocked for many years, which really should have been my first point of call.

Spoiler'd due to wall of text for those not interested.

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents .... If anyone needs iPhone 4 screen protectors. 20 cents for 2 with free shipping aust wide. And if you like them on facebook and write the order number you will get 1 extra for free. Shipped from Sydney.
http://www.awesomebargains.com.au/index.php

**Shameless self-promotion.This is my website. If this is not allowed please delete**

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pm blahman - hes starting a Korean Boy band. A tribute band - first up its practice at KTV - but hey we all gotta start some where.

Why tribute band? Planning to go original material.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ When you can go sockless.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Selvaggio

Reaction score
George and Mildred

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone care to punt on the Sydney Grand Final yet? Just getting a sniff early.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unable to make the Melbourne meetup tomorrow I am afraid, but Gerry Nelson and I were talking about a lunch meet up in the next few weeks so will post details once we get around to sorting it (work too crazy at the moment).

Also, if anyone is ordering from A Fine Pair of Shoes (esp. with clearance on) can you order me some flat Brown laces - http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/c...roducts/80cm-dark-brown-flat-waxed-shoe-laces

I would like to get some but shipping is not feasible for such a small purchase. Will pay postage for Australia (should only be a few dollars) or if in Melbourne will collect. Unless anyone knows somewhere to get flat laces in Melbourne/Australia?

Last edited:

bhall41

Reaction score
I am hoping at this stage to make it to tomorrow night's get together in Melbourne. What time are we meeting Gerry?

In response to the email I received from JCrew on Tuesday alerting me to the fact that they now shipped to Australia, I sent the following email last night:

"Thank you for the email.

I am pleased that J Crew is now shipping to Australia. However, although the offer of free shipping is appreciated, I won't be making any purchases with J Crew unless and until your prices reflect what local customers in the USA are charged. In my view it is untenable that I should be charged a premium of approximately 50% to purchase an item from your online store, on account of the fact that I reside in Australia. I suggest that you reconsider your pricing strategy. Pricing parity is a necessary of pre-condition of me doing business with J Crew as a customer."

I don't expect to receive a reply or, if I do, it will likely be peppered with weasel words signifying little apart from the fact that JCrew is going to see what they can get away with with regards to pricing.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey bhall I just did the same thing.

God I love to rant :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads