Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

I'd say more like most of us don't post much..

Eta: + 1 to the afr, its the best of a sorry bunch.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

I have never seen anything that's 36S in the op shop... they're all like 42R.

3. twatson

twatson New Member

Thanks for the offer but I'm currently studying overseas for a while. Nice to know that I'm not alone though!
    Edit: hence the obscure writing times. Still managed to screw up quoting you however..

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Well some of that could be spent in Canberra to improve staff service I buy Clinique shave gel and its either DJ's or Myers, so I, lone male stood at Clinique counter waiting waiting, thinking I have ended up in Waiting for Godot then left and bought it at Myers.

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I did the exact same thing on Saturday morning! I buy the clinique face scrub, went to DJ's first and no one there then went to MYER and got served straight away. Le me know when your around for that coffee too.

6. Geoffrey Firmin

I use the Kiehls face scrub on a regular basis and occasionally the Clinique, I switched to the Clinique shave creme in 1983 after reading the ad in Cleo, thought the hook was very good 'in 60 seconds this man will change the way he shaves forever' (he did) occasionally use Christopher Hanlon whose shave creme I highly recommend.

Mind you Kiehls are another mob who will not ship to Oz they point you in the direction of local suppliers, I hope this J Crew move is not the way of the future.

Have sent PM re Coffee.

7. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

I can make it to the catch up in Melbourne on Thursday.

Also am looking to offload a couple of suits.

I have a RLBL Khaki in tan sized 38R (was worn a couple of times by lachyzee but unworn by me) and also have a NWT Isaia in grey also a size 38R. Hit me up if you want more details.

8. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I'm going to try to make it along on Thursday also. Unfortunately can't promise at this stage, sorry!

I've also got some BNWT Herringbone suits and sport coats to offload (either size 40 or 42). Please PM me if interested.

9. scar3face

scar3face Well-Known Member

I work for the NAB and the dress policy seems to be something that is either interpreted as smart casual, business casual or strict suit and tie.

You could walk around any one of the floors in any of the many buildings and you will see quite a varied array of outfits.

Naturally most stereotypes aren't hard to spot:

IT = slacks / chino's and an shirt (not ironed).
    Finance = Suits for the men, god knows what for the women.
    Sales, Financial Planners - Suit / Tie
    Middle management - Suits, no tie
    Upper management and Exec - Suit / Tie

In my team alone we will have suit / tie combo for half of the team, the other half, slacks and a shirt.

I follow the rule of being the best dressed in the room, but not by wearing a 3 piece suit each day, but simply ensuring I look sharp (shoes clean, polished, cuff links, clean shaven, white teeth, tailored suit).

I'm constantly amazed at how some people will react towards someone who has gone to the effort to dress nicely VS someone who just wears whatever.

It's almost like you command respect without having to say a word. It's quite an intoxicating feeling because your confidence levels are high, which in turn reflects in the output and quality of work.

The better I feel I look, the better I handle myself in day to day situations, the more confidence I have which in turn makes me feel even better. It's a nice cycle.

10. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I'm hopeful that I'll be able to pop in for a drink before dinner on Thursday.

11. joiji

joiji Senior member

Thanks for the reply fxh, I'll elaborate a bit more to make it a bit easier.

The main reason for my trip is to try and get my sizing sorted out. I've found my online purchases wearable, but I feel like with some time spent I can find better fits. I'm sticking around 200-250/pair, which puts me in the realm of Loake/Barker/etc, mostly because a student budget doesn't let me stretch much further. I'm starting from scratch, so the first pair would be black cap-toes, then working from there I suppose. I'd probably also take my time to try on a couple of pairs of higher end, more to get the feel for the quality and advantage of them, but I can't see myself blowing $500 or so on a pair just yet.

I wouldn't mind checking out P. Johnson either, from all the good things I've been hearing about them, as well as anything else you can recommend at the lower end of the scale (the SF scale that is :p).

12. Geoffrey Firmin

BB Hudson Corduroy trousers just arrived via Fed Ex only 5 work days from US, blue and green just the thing for this extended Autumn/Winter we are having. (the benefits of working from home)

13. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

You can try on Loakes at DJs and at McCloud Shoes, but personally I would feel too self-conscious trying on with no intention to buy at McCloud, and DJs have a pretty limited selection. (I'm assuming you're not planning on buying because both price them at way more than $250 a pair.)

Apart from shoes I think Herringbone and Azzaro are both well worth a visit.

14. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I've got a few shirts that need some slimming so I'm looking for a new alterationist. Has anyone tried G&M Galati on Elgin St near Lygon?

I popped in and the prices seemed very reasonable, I'd just like a vote of confidence about the work they do. If no one has I'll bite the bullet and report back.

15. blahman

blahman Senior member

You work down in Docklands?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.