Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

thanks for the recommendation. i might check out this grand royal barbers, and splurge if necessary

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I just checked their facebook page(s), a lot of pissed off Aussies on there. Surely they will have to do something about it, but the damage could be done by the time they do and people may boycott it just on principle.

3. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Anyone got a local recommendation for knitwear? I checked out Sportscraft at Myer the other day (baggy chest, massive armholes), County Road (some ok options) and Oxford (awful) yesterday, but I want to cast a wider net.

I'm looking primarily for a plain light gray v-neck jumper in merino, possibly a navy cardigan and possibly something chunky for casual.

4. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

How about Herringbone or Rhodes & Beckett? I find that fit varies quite a bit for jumpers. I sent an almost unworn J Smedley jumper, which I purchased online, to the opp shop last year because it was tall long for me. :facepalm:

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I'd love to find somewhere local that sells flat, waxed laces, but haven't located anywhere yet. An unfortunate gap in the market.

Valmour (from France) have a selection and they ship overseas. They also stock lots of Saphir products (and in fact the shoelaces are branded as Saphir) - could be worth having a look. I've ordered a big box of polish, cream, shoe bags and shoelaces from them before, but I've never ordered just shoelaces so don't know how much shipping will cost.

If you don't mind not being able to try it on first, have a look at Land's End (particularly their "tailored" stuff) and Land's End Canvas. They have some good, affordable knitwear. The LE regular line is a bit baggy but their tailored stuff fits well.

6. fox81

fox81 Senior member

henry bucks had some really nice stuff reduced at their sale last time. 200 and up though, some cucinelli cashmere thrown in for good measure. i imagine theyre at the clearance shop now.

otherwise go online. most of my stuff is from uniqlo. merino jumpers and cardigans were 20 pounds. cashmere i paid around 40-50 pounds. youll have to use a proxy to get uniqlo stuff though.

also, SF affliliate http://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/ has a good deal on drumohr cashmere at the moment.

7. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

David Jones has had in the past a fair range of knitwear on the second floor (on the far wall at the other end to the overpriced suits). Last season they had some V and round necks under their own label. They also sell an Australian manufacturer, I think it's 'Lincoln' but I could be wrong.

Also, Ken Barrell still has an outlet store in Elizabeth St that has a little bit of knitwear left.

8. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

My v-necks that were DJ branded pilled worse than any other knitwear I've ever owned. Herringbone during their pop up sales has some good stuff. I picked up a great cardigan from there last year. I also have an Ansett Gold wool/cashmere blend crew neck that I got from DJ's for travel a while back. It's actually held up the best of any of my sweaters I find myself wearing it all the time for casual clothing.

9. The Ernesto

When I was growing up my old man kept a chunk of wax in the shed and showed us how to wax laces ourselves. What a resourceful generation they were.

10. The Ernesto

That's not good to hear. My V neck has held up OK, it was cheap but looks good with jeans. Noticed in DJs yesterday that Hackett had some nice jumpers as well, but they were $250.

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

By the way, hope the official Style Forum Australian Members tie (burgundy knit) makes a strong appearance at tomorrow evening's meetup.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

12. lennier

lennier Senior member

I quite like Lewin's knitwear for simple jumpers etc. I guess Myer probably have them at inflated prices but I bought a navy merino v-neck online at the Oz site for $64 delivered the other day (still waiting on it). I have one of their lambswool half-zips and that's quite nice for the price.

13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

After four masochistic weeks watching the Tigers I will keep my opinions to myself, however at this stage Saints look ok sans Bennett

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I've actually done that with round laces before and, although not quite as good as the Valmour ones, the results were not bad.

However, I've been flat out of luck even finding decent non-waxed, flat laces here in Australia. All of the flat laces that I have seen are too wide, and resemble sporting laces more than dress shoe laces.

15. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

I thought the meeting was tomorrow?

Also sent PM re laces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.