• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhubarb jam

Reaction score
Morning all,

First post, after a while lurking and revelling in the banter.
Brownman, I also share in the distaste for 'smart casual'.
To me, it requires at the very least, shirt, no denim, and lace up shoes. A strapped shoe such as a double monk to me would be too formal, but a slip on may be too casual.
Of late i have favoured the mix of camel chino, cordovan shoe with a navy blazer. Tends to tick all the boxes and as a subtle base, allows for mixing it up with knitted tie, coloured socks and the like.
Are you looking to secure a creative role in the advertising industry? If so, I would look to mix up a little more colour, without crossing the border into lurid vibrance.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Smart casual is a frustrating term. I recently asked a bunch of my friends what it meant and the most common answer I got was that jeans are fine, almost expected, and a shirt should be long sleeve and collared (not a polo).

The issue I think when being told 'smart casual' from a business is whether or not they are simply using the term incorrectly to suggest 'business casual' (which I think is what I think thebrownman and rhubarb jam are describing).

The fact of the matter is that by using a term such as smart casual, which has different meanings to different people, you are going to have a bunch of people dressed in very different levels of formality. The way to look good will simply be to execute whatever you decide it to mean better than most people do. You also need to consider the industry and position of yourself within. The advertising world strikes me as being a very casual workplace, especially if you are looking at more creative positions, so I would be happy wearing dark jeans and an OCBD with some chukkas, chelsea boots or maybe a blucher of some sort. If this was for the finance or law industry I'd suggest you go full business casual.

It also comes down to comfort. Will you be comfortable wearing a tie when no one else is? Will you be comfortable wearing jeans when no one else is? These are the things you need to weigh up.

edit : also, welcome rhubarb jam. Nice to have you here.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really have a problem with "smart casual" as a term. It's intentionally vague so as to give attendees much more freedom than, say "business attire". It allows people to express themselves a bit more. In the context of the advertising industry, this seems like it would be a good thing. That's why people have "smart casual" as a dress code for social functions like cocktail parties - it allows for freedom of expression which you don't get in an office environment.

To me it would more accurately be called "neat casual", which is a collared shirt, and odd trousers, chinos or clean-looking jeans.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, have a job selection day coming up soon for the advertising industry. Dress code is 'smart casual' - agencies are a mix of big names and smaller independent operations. Thoughts on attire?

I'm in advertising. Suit up for interviews, but for this sort of industry induction just got chinos and a button up like you have suggested

elvish

Reaction score

Hahahah you wouldn't catch me dead in a pair of knee high socks, unless I was taking the piss out of something/someone. Some of the folks overseas seem to be fond of them, but they're definitely not my style.

thank Christ!

It's colour or patterned or no sock for me. And definitely no knee high 'i've come straight from the bowls club in my sandals' sock.

Plestor

Reaction score
On socks has anyone tried the asw mtm ones. I'm a touch tall for my foot size so otr OTC is a touch short. I'd say viccel is as nice or nicer as current panterella in their current OTC cotton offerings.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find knee high socks very sexy, but not on a guy... :fu:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their input re: what to wear for a 'smart casual' job selection day :)

__PG__

Reaction score
Re : socks. I bought a twin pack of 'Happy Socks' from DJs at lunchtime (where I bumped into appolyon...again). We'll see how they go.

lennier

Reaction score
4 days door to door for my Shakespeare IIs from Herring, very impressive.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I know the place - they have Loakes and RM Williams. Nice guy and his reapirs are good quality - I take my RMs there if they need work. Are all the cobblers in Sydney related?

A lot are Lebanese Maronites and share family connections in the trade and were apprenticed to guys who taught them well before they went out on their own. Lots are shoe repairers but not all are trained cobblers or bootmakers.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+ 1. This is sound advice. Pantherella socks are very good value for money when on sale.

A lot of the Chines AUD3 and $5 socks at the stalls in the shopping malls are great too.

lennier

Reaction score

Which ones did you get? I got the suede. Really like them

I was tempted by the suede but ended up with the brown. Need a little burnishing I think to get the best out of them but they look nice!

Selvaggio

Reaction score

A lot are Lebanese Maronites and share family connections in the trade and were apprenticed to guys who taught them well before they went out on their own. Lots are shoe repairers but not all are trained cobblers or bootmakers.

...and there is a strong Maronite contingent in the rag trade as well with Reuben F Scarf, Ron Bennett etc. in retail and also in tailoring - dating back to the founding of the rag trade in NSW around Surry Hills in the 19th century (which was then largely a community of "Syrians" - as they were then known). I think a lot of people these days don’t realise what an enormous contribution those early Lebanese families made to the development of Sydney.

I find this stuff really interesting and have a bit of a personal interest as my grandmother was a seamstress in the travelling tailor business operated by her family (not Lebanese, but another people of the desert). Basically the menfolk would travel out to rural areas and collect measurements and then come back to Sydney make up the garments and then send them back to the customers. I have a few friends with Lebanese backgrounds and they say that’s how a lot of their families made their living as well.

I’m probably being overly romantic about it, but I find something very appealing about the idea that ordinary people in the bush would have, no doubt a very small number, of garments hand made and then really cherish them, compared with today’s society which is awash with the cheapest nastiest stuff imaginable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics