Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

If you need someone to actually purchase it for you (because of restrictions i.e. store accepts US credit cards/paypal only), use PriceUSA.

If you just need to ship it somewhere in the US, Shipito is definitely the way to go (it will almost always be cheaper than PriceUSA for simple mail forwarding). Especially for multiple packages as they have cheap consolidation.

Shipito also has a very cheap shipito airmail option which is good for smaller things (although it takes a month or so to arrive).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

2. meister

meister Senior member

Yeah I found a pair in black on eBay years ago for only USD60 when no one had heard of the brand. Very good leather and comfortable in a snug way.

3. meister

meister Senior member

It is near that shop Strelizia.

There is a small arcade and they do repairs and sell good shoes. In fact he has some made (proper sewn shoes ) in the Lebanon on sale for like AUD250 and there is a very nice pair of split toes in there I saw. He is the brother-in-law of my mate that was the cobbler at Wynyard Sullivans' (Fred Ayoub).

Fred got bad RSI in his arm and tragically for me had to quit his business and recuperate for a while. He tells me acupuncture has been marvellous at fixing him up. I have moved my shoe repairs to Coombes in the Strand who are the Aytalluh family. The head cobbler in there is Fred's cousin.

Fred's godfather, Jim Saad, has the cobbler shop at Milson's Point station that has a marvellous German shoe stretching machine. He charges AUD10 a go.

Anything else anyone wants to know?

4. elvish

elvish Senior member

you wear socks over the knee?

5. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Viccell Merino are flimsy- shouldn't have half a dozen holes after a few wears, as I did. And shrunk to half their orignal size. stay away.
    Their cotton aint bad tho and I've just ordered another 2 pairs.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

I've had about 12 pairs of Viccel socks for over a year. No holes yet. I have wool/silk, and cotton ones and the (Australian) merino ones all over the calf. They are dress socks not work socks. The new thicker ones are only in one colour grey and only come to mid calf.

I do think the merino ones are heading toward a hole, but they are the pair I wear the most. I'll just darn the toe when I get a hole.

I wash them in cold water on gentle cycle and hang out to dry. I'd imagine the merino wouldn't stand up that well to hot washing and heat / tumbler drying plus hard wear.

From what I can see the web site is saying they don't have any stock of the ones I want to re-order.

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I reckon Brooks Brothers make the best socks, which is no help to most people as they aren't available here, but I got a heap from Hawaii last year and also got my brother to get me some in NYC again this year. Nice mid calf length and keep there shape very well.

8. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I know the place - they have Loakes and RM Williams. Nice guy and his reapirs are good quality - I take my RMs there if they need work. Are all the cobblers in Sydney related?

9. Naka

Naka Senior member

Hahahah you wouldn't catch me dead in a pair of knee high socks, unless I was taking the piss out of something/someone. Some of the folks overseas seem to be fond of them, but they're definitely not my style.

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I have been wearing Marcoliani socks for a while now and used to be able to pick them up cheap at DJ sales, but for some reason they haven't had them on sale once this year in Canberra. So I switched to Howard Yount found them cheaper than sale prices and the last order I placed arrived from the US In less than a week.

11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Had exactly the same experience, even after washing them in cold water and line drying. Was really disappointed.

DJs hasn't been discounting Marcoliani in Melbourne either.

12. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

+ 1. This is sound advice. Pantherella socks are very good value for money when on sale.

13. thebrownman

Guys, have a job selection day coming up soon for the advertising industry. Dress code is 'smart casual' - agencies are a mix of big names and smaller independent operations. Thoughts on attire?

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

Smart casual can mean a million different things. I hate that term.
    I bet if you turn up, you see guys in jeans and polo, suit without a tie, slacks and shirt, the odd jeans and t-shirt.
    I would probably turn up in some chinos, open neck shirt, a sports jacket and some suede shoes. or swap chinos for good jeans with not a huge amount of stacking.

15. thebrownman

Thanks blahman. I hate the term, too.

None of my jeans stack, in fact - ever since I became a Michael Jackson fan at 5 years old, all my pants have had no break, jeans included. I was planning to wear a shirt with button down collar, chinos and chukka boots with a sport jacket. Not sure whether to wear a knit tie. I probably will. I've worn a tie to Uni for no reason for a while now..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.