• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep.

Chelseas in doak on 82 last ordered.

Quite pleased with the value after the additional deduction of VAT.

Now, if only Australia Post can them to me without the pesky government getting in the way...

Can't see that one on the site, sounds good though be sure to take some pics when they arrive.

As to the VAT the site appears to automatically deduct this and factor into the process? Going through check out didn't see any VAT deductions, would be a nice bonus if it did though would definitely grab a pair of the asquith

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-post from Instagram.

These guys raise funds for charities by doing a monthly limited release of an outrageous sock design. Different designer and different charity each month. The idea is you subscribe, and then see what you get. I got given a gift subscription for my birthday: here's the damage so far.

jrb666

Reaction score
Can't see that one on the site, sounds good though be sure to take some pics when they arrive.

As to the VAT the site appears to automatically deduct this and factor into the process? Going through check out didn't see any VAT deductions, would be a nice bonus if it did though would definitely grab a pair of the asquith

http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/uk-11-5/products/edward-green-chelsea-dark-oak-1

VAT deducted when you head to the check out.

In AUD$ terms, I picked up the shoes and trees (and threw in a very attractive tie as well) for about AUD$400-$500 less than the very same shoes and trees would have cost if ordered directly from EG.

Liber

Reaction score

Might be useful to some.

I spied at the Country Road outlet in Richmond = GYW Suede chukkas branded Trenery for $100. Looked OK to me.
Helpful to me! What colour were they? (please say sand/beige...) might call them and see if they can send interstate.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hunt Leather briefcases vs Bally... What does everyone think?

Looking for a nice-looking bag for work...

Firstly, it depends on whether you want a zippered case or a flap/lock or an attaché.

IMO, neither Hunt nor Bally are value for money.

Hunt stuff are textile lined, which is impossible to repair once it tears. Most of Bally's cheaper lines are also textile lined. Would not matter of course if you don't intend use it for more than a few years. For value for money with zippered cases, I would recommend Serapian when it goes on sale. They make cases for Prada, which sells for Euro2000, but the Serapian, with better design and hardware, retails for half that price and even less on sale. Suede lined.

For the flap lock cases, Hunt is textile lined, and the leather looks average. For Bally, the finishing is better, and they are suede lined. However, the leather used is a type of finished/Corrected grain leather which will not take a patina. I would think that getting a custom made one from say JP Marcellino or Henry Tomkins would be better value for money, if you are prepared to wait. My grail item for this is Juste a Temps by Moynat, but it is sadly no longer in production, however, likely to be reinstated due to its huge popularity. St Dupont also makes a good one, their Ligne D Eleysee, however, they are sold out in the brown colour, due to the Bond movie sponsorship. Price is reasonable at Euro950 normal retail. Longchamp's briefcases are about same or slightly better quality than Hunt or Bally, but at half the price.

Another interesting option in Ilcea calf leather is Pratesi. I have not handled them before so you need to do more research.

Hard attaché cases or doctor's bag I cannot help you with.

Hope this helps.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Firstly, it depends on whether you want a zippered case or a flap/lock or an attaché.

IMO, neither Hunt nor Bally are value for money.

Hunt stuff are textile lined, which is impossible to repair once it tears. Most of Bally's cheaper lines are also textile lined. Would not matter of course if you don't intend use it for more than a few years. For value for money with zippered cases, I would recommend Serapian when it goes on sale. They make cases for Prada, which sells for Euro2000, but the Serapian, with better design and hardware, retails for half that price and even less on sale. Suede lined.

For the flap lock cases, Hunt is textile lined, and the leather looks average. For Bally, the finishing is better, and they are suede lined. However, the leather used is a type of finished/Corrected grain leather which will not take a patina. I would think that getting a custom made one from say JP Marcellino or Henry Tomkins would be better value for money, if you are prepared to wait. My grail item for this is Juste a Temps by Moynat, but it is sadly no longer in production, however, likely to be reinstated due to its huge popularity. St Dupont also makes a good one, their Ligne D Eleysee, however, they are sold out in the brown colour, due to the Bond movie sponsorship. Price is reasonable at Euro950 normal retail. Longchamp's briefcases are about same or slightly better quality than Hunt or Bally, but at half the price.

Another interesting option in Ilcea calf leather is Pratesi. I have not handled them before so you need to do more research.

Hard attaché cases or doctor's bag I cannot help you with.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Pete!

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/uk-11-5/products/edward-green-chelsea-dark-oak-1

VAT deducted when you head to the check out.

In AUD$ terms, I picked up the shoes and trees (and threw in a very attractive tie as well) for about AUD$400-$500 less than the very same shoes and trees would have cost if ordered directly from EG.

Thanks for clarifying, will have to try on the desktop (on phone atm) just not getting any VAT deduction going through the checkout. Either way sounds like you got a solid order in with the shoes n ties

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herringbone in perpetual sale mode.

Either too much stock or need some cash flow. Or both.

It's the same with Rhodes & Beckett (which, like Herringbone, is owned by Van Laack) and also MJ Bale.

I dropped into MJ Bale for the first time in ages in December last year, to discover that they were having quite a generous sale. When I asked what they were going to do for the post-Christmas sale, given that many items were already marked down by 25 to 50%, I was told that they'd probably just mix around the discounts!

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand these stores anymore. I'm not saying they don't have stuff that people want to buy or that they don't fill a need in the market, but it's an odd experience in there sometimes. I went into R and B for the first time in years just after Christmas. In my size they only had one type of white shirt. The exact same shirt filled in all those little shelves they put the shirts in for my size. Was very Soviet.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand them, either.

Van Laack (at least in my opinion) seems intent upon destroying both Herringbone and R&B. They're both forced to order from the same, seasonal lookbook which contains a list of mostly generic and uninteresting clothing that looks cheaper than it actually is, which is quite a notable, albeit unfortunate, achievement.

Meanwhile, MJ Bale sometimes has some great stuff, but their product photos are absolutely dismal and their clothing is often very slim cut, which rules out a fair percentage of the population. I've got a friend who is quite slim and is a size 36 US/46 Euro in suits, and who finds it difficult to fit into MJ Bale's suits.

MJ Bale introduced a range of Italian-made, "Napoli" shirts a while back, which were very nice but which were offered in some quite odd fabrics. A few of the fabrics were great, but several of them were not very attractive - a bit too textured or shiny for my tastes, particularly when you're paying $300 per shirt. The shirt pricing, of course, was also quite a reach for MJ Bale, given the pricing of their other shirts and their near-constant "two suits for $1000" offer.

They recently started selling off the Napoli shirts for $199 each, with a couple of the shirts marked down massively to $79 each.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be useful to some.

I spied at the Country Road outlet in Richmond = GYW Suede chukkas branded Trenery for $100. Looked OK to me.
Helpful to me! What colour were they? (please say sand/beige...) might call them and see if they can send interstate.
I cant really remember - I know they had dark brown - I was nearly going to get a pair but seeing I already have 5+ pair of dark brown suede chukkas /boots... I also remember a darkish blue and a light colour grey perhaps . Didn't try any on so cant comment on sizes or fit.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't understand them, either.

Van Laack (at least in my opinion) seems intent upon destroying both Herringbone and R&B. They're both forced to order from the same, seasonal lookbook which contains a list of mostly generic and uninteresting clothing that looks cheaper than it actually is, which is quite a notable, albeit unfortunate, achievement.

Meanwhile, MJ Bale sometimes has some great stuff, but their product photos are absolutely dismal and their clothing is often very slim cut, which rules out a fair percentage of the population. I've got a friend who is quite slim and is a size 36 US/46 Euro in suits, and who finds it difficult to fit into MJ Bale's suits.

MJ Bale introduced a range of Italian-made, "Napoli" shirts a while back, which were very nice but which were offered in some quite odd fabrics. A few of the fabrics were great, but several of them were not very attractive - a bit too textured or shiny for my tastes, particularly when you're paying $300 per shirt. The shirt pricing, of course, was also quite a reach for MJ Bale, given the pricing of their other shirts and their near-constant "two suits for $1000" offer.

They recently started selling off the Napoli shirts for $199 each, with a couple of the shirts marked down massively to $79 each.

$300 per RTW shirt is certainly ambitious, and bemusing, with so many other options around eg a Kazuna MTM. Recently kopped a Hackett shirt in Thomas Mason fabric for a princely Euro70. From memory, even Ascot Chang bespoke is not far off $300, and it will cost $200 with other HK tailors using Mason fabrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members