• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And for tightening to force heel back. Open lacing is more flexible all round - allows more space across vamp, more height if needed, or width or more on one side than other. Open lacing also lets you loosen closer to vamp and tighten up higher or vice versa. I think one of those shoes was a 4 up and one a 5 up? if so the 5 up might run higher up foot - could be good or bad depending on your needs.

lennier

Reaction score
Happy friday Melbourne members!

Just a heads up that a long mooted opportunity to drag out your black tie (if you wish) is approaching!

In the new year the Wear for Success Expert Network will be hosting an exclusive fundraiser and launch of its 2014 event calendar in conjunction with the 'Designing 007' exhibition that just opened at the Melbourne Museum. This will most likely be in the first week of February.

The event will be limited to 100 people and will include an exclusive private viewing of the Bond exhibition for event guests, along with a cocktail party in the 'Bond Bar' set up specially for the exhibition. The theme will be "Dressed to Kill' and all guests will be encouraged to 'dress like Bond' (or a Bond girl, if you prefer).

As some of you I've talked to are aware, this event has been a long time in gestation and is a significant undertaking for the charity as it involves considerable cost commitment and thus risk, which charities do not like :) Personally I don't believe there will be any shortage of demand from the conversations that I've had, but I strongly urge anyone who is at all interested in seeing the Bond exhibition, and/or knows anyone who is interested, to take advantage of this event to do so in style whilst assisting a terrific cause.

I'll advise further details, ticket prices etc as soon as they're at hand, but the main message for now is, if you were about to head off to the exhibition this weekend for something to do, hold off and do it with us! (unless you want to do it twice, of course :) )

I'd be most appreciative if any members could PM me if they interested or intend to go, and indeed how many others they think they know who would likely attend, so that I can give some feedback to the charity. From discussions so far it's possible we may fill the event without needing to promote it.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help in supporting Wear for Success through this event, and I look forward to seeing many of you in black tie (or not) in February!

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha!

Then the Trainer is quite adequate.

The choice between the Racer, Trainer, Lunar, or the Flyknit Free really turns on your personal aesthetic preference.

I have some Lunar Flyknits on the way. It's annoying that some colourways are hard to get.

Just a heads up that a long mooted opportunity to drag out your black tie (if you wish) is approaching!

In the new year the Wear for Success Expert Network will be hosting an exclusive fundraiser and launch of its 2014 event calendar in conjunction with the 'Designing 007' exhibition that just opened at the Melbourne Museum. This will most likely be in the first week of February.

The event will be limited to 100 people and will include an exclusive private viewing of the Bond exhibition for event guests, along with a cocktail party in the 'Bond Bar' set up specially for the exhibition. The theme will be "Dressed to Kill' and all guests will be encouraged to 'dress like Bond' (or a Bond girl, if you prefer).

As some of you I've talked to are aware, this event has been a long time in gestation and is a significant undertaking for the charity as it involves considerable cost commitment and thus risk, which charities do not like :) Personally I don't believe there will be any shortage of demand from the conversations that I've had, but I strongly urge anyone who is at all interested in seeing the Bond exhibition, and/or knows anyone who is interested, to take advantage of this event to do so in style whilst assisting a terrific cause.

I'll advise further details, ticket prices etc as soon as they're at hand, but the main message for now is, if you were about to head off to the exhibition this weekend for something to do, hold off and do it with us! (unless you want to do it twice, of course
smile.gif
)

I'd be most appreciative if any members could PM me if they interested or intend to go, and indeed how many others they think they know who would likely attend, so that I can give some feedback to the charity. From discussions so far it's possible we may fill the event without needing to promote it.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help in supporting Wear for Success through this event, and I look forward to seeing many of you in black tie (or not) in February!

I'll be there for this!

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a great excuse for an outfit comprised of light blue cocktail cuffed shirt, grey suit and black or navy grenadine tie (if I was to wear items I own now).

Or a white or midnight shawl lapel dinner jacket (neither of which I own sadly, for the moment...at least) .

Then again the Australian bond, Lazenby, did wear a kilt...

Look forward to hearing more details.

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score
Do you really want a Derby compared to an Oxford? Personally, I think Derbies are average.

Out of those three, I'd hit the brogue cap toe. Rather than the plain cap toe and the brogue. It's the middle point.

Derbs are more accommodating to wide feet

Also better for high insteps.

Guys thanks very much

I actually quite like the wingtips but... at this point top priority should be to buy something that doesn't hurt to wear...

muchos gracias amigos, ole!

deingesicht

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Cheaney?

I usually buy Trickers, C&J, and Carmina, but my friend has given me very good offer. I'm looking at these shoes:
http://www.cheaney.co.uk/mens-shoe/94/cheaney-broad-wingcap-brogue-in-black-calf (Last 11028)

http://www.cheaney.co.uk/mens-shoe/186/taunton-buckle-monk-brogues-in-hand-burnished-mahogany (Last 205)

http://www.cheaney.co.uk/mens-shoe/11/cheaney-cambridge-oxford-in-hand-burnished-dark-leaf (Last 205)
I'm usually a UK9.5 (C&J (E) last 325 [but a 10 would fit me better] and 348 & Trickers (F) last 4537 and 6038), but I hear that they can run more narrower.

I like to try before I buy, but at $150 per pair, I don't think I can hold back
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads