• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
deingesicht, I don't know what last my shoes are on, but I have a couple of pairs of the old "Cheaney for Herringbone" shoes. The ones that I have do run fairly narrow.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Pink Socks, if you wear a Kilt and knee high pink socks, I'll bring a date to the Charity Dinner.

Stiva

Reaction score
I have recently bought three pairs of Cheaneys and couldn't be happier with them.

My usual purchase is Churchs Custom Grade (and I have one pair of Trickers), and I don't think the Cheaneys are any better or worse in comparison - at least to my uneducated eye. In general terms, they run the same width as Churches and Loake - so wider than C&J.

In fact, I called in at the Cheaney factory store in Desborough in July this year, because it just happened to be on the way when I was driving up to Nottingham for the First Test, and bought a pair of Jackie III chukkas. They were seconds, and cost the equivalent of $150 at the factory door. The bloke I was with went berserk and bought four pairs in assorted styles. He couldn't believe how cheap they were compared to the cost of Northamptonshire shoes in Australia - and he wasn't buying seconds and he was paying more than $150 a pair.

I think some of the Cheaney designs can be a bit lumpen or agricultural, but those ones you have linked are fine. Bargain. Do not hesitate.

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score
Derbs are fucken ugly.

haha unfortunately I have a bit of a condition which means orthotic shoes are most appropriate for me. This really is a case where function must dictate form - if the derbys are widest, its just gotta be that

Out of the 3 I actually thought the wingtips would have been nice, but I have something like 6-7 pairs of shoes that I have worn like twice because they are uncomfortable. Prefer not to add to that collection

deingesicht

Reaction score
I have recently bought three pairs of Cheaneys and couldn't be happier with them.

My usual purchase is Churchs Custom Grade (and I have one pair of Trickers), and I don't think the Cheaneys are any better or worse in comparison - at least to my uneducated eye. In general terms, they run the same width as Churches and Loake - so wider than C&J.

In fact, I called in at the Cheaney factory store in Desborough in July this year, because it just happened to be on the way when I was driving up to Nottingham for the First Test, and bought a pair of Jackie III chukkas. They were seconds, and cost the equivalent of $150 at the factory door. The bloke I was with went berserk and bought four pairs in assorted styles. He couldn't believe how cheap they were compared to the cost of Northamptonshire shoes in Australia - and he wasn't buying seconds and he was paying more than $150 a pair.

I think some of the Cheaney designs can be a bit lumpen or agricultural, but those ones you have linked are fine. Bargain. Do not hesitate.
Thanks, will do. If anyone is interested in those PM me with size and I'll see what I can do

deingesicht, I don't know what last my shoes are on, but I have a couple of pairs of the old "Cheaney for Herringbone" shoes. The ones that I have do run fairly narrow.
So would you suggest going up a size or are the cheaney on the same size of your regular shoes but a bit tigher?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haha unfortunately I have a bit of a condition which means orthotic shoes are most appropriate for me. This really is a case where function must dictate form - if the derbys are widest, its just gotta be that 
Out of the 3 I actually thought the wingtips would have been nice, but I have something like 6-7 pairs of shoes that I have worn like twice because they are uncomfortable. Prefer not to add to that collection

If you have any problems stick to open laced shoes. Or as some internet usa people call them - derbys. It only anyone from a clothing forum who will notice they aren't closed laced - as if it matters.Do go and see a good podiatrist first though. They don't know anything much about good shoes but they do know feet and whats wrong with them. The knowledge you get will be useful.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So would you suggest going up a size or are the cheaney on the same size of your regular shoes but a bit tigher?

I haven't worn either pair for a little while but both pairs have fairly chiselled toe-boxes and are quite similar to the C&J 348 last.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't go up half-a-size at they'd then be too long for me.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Derbs are fucken ugly.

Gonna have to disagree there.

images
images
images

Last edited:

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gerry, they don't have the two pieces of leather hanging from the lip. They don't quality as 'conventional' Derbies.

Stiva

Reaction score
They're not Derbys. They're overpriced tat for Francophile spivs with size 6 feet.

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score
If you have any problems stick to open laced shoes. Or as some internet usa people call them - derbys. It only anyone from a clothing forum who will notice they aren't closed laced - as if it matters.Do go and see a good podiatrist first though. They don't know anything much about good shoes but they do know feet and whats wrong with them. The knowledge you get will be useful.

Thanks mate, yeah the word from podiatrist is its a medium to severe case of hammer toe, but not recommending surgery - which is fine, I dont particularly want to tamper with it. It is hereditary, but as far as I can tell, its the one and only thing wrong with me. Joking.

It comes down to working around it, so for instance I train myself to be a fore foot strike runner, and have to be careful with my shoe purchases...

I wonder if RM Williams have an orthotics range...

Oh mate half and half - I have the RMW craftsman dynamic flex - they have the removable in sole, which makes room for an orthotic in there. It works well, but I should have bought a friggin G. The F fit is uncomfortable. Also super disappoint, saw them suede kingsvales and thought YES ILL HAVE ONE. They're custom made, normal range only have leather chukkas... hmmm... but at the custom made price range, maybe I should try for something else...

Anyway, will go and use DJ's free "try here and buy from a cheaper, better operated online store" service later for Churchs... Church's chukkas are last 81, which is the same last as in the Burwood brogue, which DJs kind stock in various sizes and fits...

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Pink Socks, if you wear a Kilt and knee high pink socks, I'll bring a date to the Charity Dinner.
I own both of those items but think I will stick to wearing them separately. Still feel free to bring a date.
Gonna have to disagree there.
images
images
images
They're not Derbys. They're overpriced tat for Francophile spivs with size 6 feet.
Come Mr Nice Guy, he is spoiling for a fight...insulting shoes you like...drop the nice guy act and attack! #fridaytroublemaking

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an hard orthotic insert, as do many others here, not for hammer toe though. Often going down half a size but a wider last is the go.

A set of stretcher shoe trees aren't a bad investment - you can use them as an ordinary tree - the little bumps can be adjusted - you can customise the bumps in a backyard workshop if you are handy.

If you keep your eyes open around antique tools and markets you can pick up a Bunion Stretcher tool.

http://www.shoecaresupplies.com/Shoe_Boot_Stretchers_p/bunion-stretcher.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads