1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Coxy will know all about cellos that are lemons.

3 people like this.
  2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

[​IMG]

3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

I was searching through the thread for Sydney dry cleaner recommendations but couldn't find anything that meaningful. Does anyone know a good one?
    This is not for a suit but nonetheless still delicate..

Has anyone tried Blue & White Dry Cleaners at Crows nest?

5. npvpositive

npvpositive Active Member

20/20 dry cleaners in Mosman is excellent. If you have something particularly special they offer a 100% handpressing "gold" service.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Just when TV was getting boring... Season 5 of Boardwalk Empire starts.

1 person likes this.
  7. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member

Agreed, I can't wait to get back into it.

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Got my pea coat today.

I went with navy because its more democratic.

9. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Fashion bros - need advice.

I want some new pants. Some nice ones for summer times. I know what fabrics work (light wool, linen), but fitting is a bit hard. I don't know why but most Ready to Wear pants either:
    1) Have pocket flair
    2) Are too tight in the thigh
    3) Rise ends up weirdly on me
    4) Are loose in weird parts and tight in weird parts

That being said, I have one pair of RTW trousers that are just spot on (Epaulet) - oddly, though, the same model in a different fabric are noticeably tighter.

I'm not sure if I've got a weird body (ie, thighs disproportionately large, or hips in some weird position, or some shit), or whether I've just not sized correctly, bought poorly, etc.
    So I'm considering:
    1. Going to the city, trying on pants till I find what works (downside: no linen, for sure, not perfect, but probably 'good enough', potentially more expensive than other options, but I have yet to try MJ Bale, for example)

2. Suit Shop - whom I have experience with - the quality is good, the people are good. I have one pair of pants with them (posted in the previous page) and have a few ideas about how I'd like them to be different (fit a bit different in the top block). Downside: cost a bit more, weren't perfect the first time (though still fine, and to be fair I'm sure my weight gains and losses aren't helping anything), limited fabrics (though if they didn't have grey and a darker blue linen I'd be shocked)

3. PJ. with no experience and a higher price, it's a bit risky, though I've not heard many (any?) people displeased with what they got. I've heard good things about the outfit - but would it really be much different to SS? I think for basic stuff (not the different fabrics, construction details, etc) maybe SS is basically on par with PJ.

4. Luxire - about $150-200 for the fabrics I'd want. Have one pair of pants with luxire that I made by copying measurements from some SS trousers I have. They turned out accurate to the measurements, but not quite like my trousers (attributable to the differences in fabric, I think). They are OK - a bit short, a bit of pocket flair, but the fabric is good and construction is great. Downsides are that they are a bit more hit and miss, and I'd basically be estimating the requisite changes (well, after wearing one pair of trousers for a year, so not based on nothing).

What would you do - given that cost is a factor, but so is being annoyed at trousers that don't feel as comfortable as I wish they would. No rushing needed, summer is still 3-4 months away.

10. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Bro, how can a colour be democratic?

11. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

12. sliq

sliq Senior member

get bespoke trouser (or two) made then get them replicated. fail proof.

1 person likes this.
  13. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Checking in from Hong Kong, gents.

Lordy lordy lordy.

I should not be left alone to do a #menswear holiday again.

Balled on up on the QF127 in the pointy end; got waaaay too drunk. Stumbled off plane, managed to walk to the hotel, fell asleep.

Woke up this morning, Airport Express to Hong Kong, took the ferry ($2HKD - cheers fxh and co for recommending), walked into the Peninsula Hotel and did a double take. Most opulent of locales for Mr Chang to be chilling in. Talked shit, got measured up, agreed to come back next Tuesday. Full pics to follow, when I've got some spare time. But suffice to say iSurg was bang on re; costs, level of customisation, fabrics, etc.

Proceeded to wander around a bit, got harassed on the streets endlessly for cheap suits, copy watches, etc. Most bizarre, especially when standing in front of the Patek store, torturing myself by staring into the displays.

Found myself back on the ferry, and before you know it, I'm at the base of the Pedder Building, thinking "well I might as well just have a look around, take some pictures, try some things on". I mean, it's The Armoury. I owe it to myself.

What's the worst that can happen?

Fuck

Before I know it I'm wearing Ring Jacket suits, sportscoats, modelling OB swimwear like I'm a fat Daniel Craig, trying on more Carminas, talking shit about drape, Drake's and Ethan's departure to RL, getting restaurant suggestions, giving restaurant suggestions, learning about Tea Cakes, giving other customers compliments on their choice of oxfords.

I kopped hard. Bought a Ring Jacket suit in a lovely 3-roll-2 grey high twist cloth, quarter lined jacket. High rise trousers, a full-but-not-too-full leg. The fit of the jacket, omfg, so good. Ultra high armholes, a larger than standard spec RJ chest, with wider lapels (apparently this block is only available through TA). I asked about cuffs on trousers (my preference is for cuffed trousers, to help the drape, and give a finished look), only to be told "we don't allow you to NOT order cuffs on formal trousers".

To cut a long(er) story short - I'm back in Hong Kong next Tuesday for a 9 hour layover. Gotta go back for Round Two with Mr Chang, and drop by TA to collect my Ring Jacket suit. I have between now and then to convince myself not to buy the OB swimwear.

Lord help my wallet.

18 people like this.
  14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Funny stuff, PR.

1 person likes this.
  15. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

The real question here is, did you get fries with your Maccas order?

16. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Hey PapaR, great story!!!

Congrats on the RJ suit.

1 person likes this.
  17. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

No. The real real question here is, will Papa Rubbery get his Ring jacket topy'd?

1 person likes this.
  18. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

What's a Ring Jacket?

unnamedplayer, FTW!

2 people like this.
  19. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I would have thought with a name like thebrownman you'd be all over that ring action.

4 people like this.
  20. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.