1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I had no idea 55 Collins was a Pei building.

I'm sad to hear it, because 55 Collins is IMHO hideous. And all the more egregious for what it single-handedly destroyed: the Paris End of Collins St.

(Although of course there is Dame Edna's singular quip about that name: "You never hear Parisians referring to the Melbourne End of the Champs Elysees, do you?")

2. hens

hens Active Member

Anyone got a recommendation for a alterations tailor in Perth?

3. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I can to this realisation a few months ago, and am thinking it now as I sit at the bus stop here, but most of the CBD is disgusting.

4. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Talking about hideous, what do people think about the Pompidou building in Paris?

We are talking about this:

[​IMG]

Smack in the middle of this:

[​IMG]

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Funnily enough, I like the Pompidou Centre. Guess there's no accounting for taste...

6. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Yes, very much agreed here. We were in Thailand once, and I was chatting to the hotel porter. He told me that his basic salary was about $4000 baht PER MONTH, and tips on a good month may bring it perhaps another $2000 baht. My mate and I, including hotel, were spending over $2000 bath PER DAY each. Every day, we both collectively spent this man's monthly salary. The exchange rate then was about AUD$1 to 40 baht, so we were spending about AUD$50 per day each, not exactly champers and limo style.

7. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Pompidou is iconic. It's does exactly what it is intended to do.

As for 55 Collins, at street level I really like the way people move through it, if that makes any sense. Sometimes I think the outside of the buildings are really ugly, other times I don't mind it.

I remember when it was being built and have been inside both towers many times so have a strange affection for it.

8. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I don't exactly dislike it, just that it is a bit jarring especially after I have walked the streets of Marais (which is even older than Haussman's Paris) and emerge from that old world to be confronted by this. It was then that I understood why some Parisians refuse to even look at the Louvre Pyramid each time they walked pass it.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

To be frank, you can say this about most cities.

For every stand-out building in a city CBD, there's always another ten or more that are either simply banal or downright eyesores.

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

That's certainly true in Brisbane after all Joh's midnight demolitions.

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Yes, indeed.

I almost feel like crying when I look at photos of central Brisbane from the 1950s and even the early 1960s. There were so many nice, solid, classically-styled office buildings and by the 1980s, most of them had been demolished and replaced by very, very mediocre concrete office blocks.

I know that there was a demand for more office space back in those days but other cities (only a few, admittedly) have managed to get by with retaining older buildings whilst still attracting business, or have insisted upon a tightly contained skyscraper precinct so as to maintain older, lower buildings in the rest of the city, and I do wish that Brisbane had followed suit instead of slavishly demolishing a lot of attractive buildings and replacing them with ugly blocks that have aged very, very poorly indeed.

12. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Checked out Brooks Brothers store. Wow, that's what you call a fitout. Big ceilings, beautiful wooden cabinets, American memorabilia everywhere and a goddamn full size pool table. Must have been close to $5m. I imagine they got a great deal on the rent though given that part of town is a bit dead from a retail perspective after everyone moved up to Westfield.

Clothing wise I'm always a bit underwhelmed by BB, the suits just don't do it for me. The lapels are skinny or the gorge is too low, there's no stitching on the lapels, the shoulders are pretty hard etc. The shirts are very baggy and the collars are not modern. Great clothing for fat white men, not so great for everyone else.

Some of the casual stuff was pretty nice. I think the best thing is the womenswear, some really nice clean jackets and looks. Highlight was the big women's silk scarves.

13. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Tend to agree with this. Much nicer kit for the ladies.

14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I've always wanted one of their OCBDs. They're like the Levis of the OCBD world.

All the US posters get their chinos too.

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Oli, look for Steve Smith in the B&S forum. I bought a few BB OCBDs from him at very reasonable prices.

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I don't have any BB OCBD shirts, but I've got several pairs of their chino pants, in various bright colours (fire engine red, green, orange and sky blue), plus a pair of patch madras trousers for good measure!.

17. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

PSA: Herringbone has a bunch of pocket squares they're selling for $20 at the Martin Place popup. Pretty darn good.

18. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I'd better get down there. :)

Regarding Collins Place, I've worked in so many floors of those building I really know it better on the inside. When you see a building like that every day, it becomes banal and you cease to really notice it. One thing it used to be noted for was having the best view of any men's urinal in Melbourne, from the restaurant in the Sofitel. I still haven't encountered a better one.

I agree the CBD has goen to crap, apart form where we have managed to preserve wonderful old buildings like Flinders St and the MU building. Teh coke bottle monstrosity pictured above doesn't scare me halfd as much as what the travesty developers are intending to inflict on the Windsor Hotel. After all, nobody cares what happens down by Spencer St station, but cheek-by-jowl with the Melbourne Club! The horror!

19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I'm pretty good sadly.

I get mine from SS because I have a fat neck...

Ew :(

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I thought that you'd approve, Oli - after all, they're very "trad"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.