• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
French cuffs have an elegance and beauty about them that the utilitarian barrel cuff will never possess.

(But only if they're done up)

Too too true. The contradiction is, most cufflinks sold are cheap...ie cheap in look if not in price. My guess is that they are bought on impulse but don't get much use. A beautiful french cuff/shirt etc needs to be complemented by real quality cufflinks - classic silver etc - not gimmiks or bling.

On ya fxh. Yeah its true I'm yet to fully grow up - never quite left adolscence (deplorable). However I would like to fudge it & dress like a grownup for clients. CUFFLINKS: yes...need lots feed back here...I will unveil my own products in due course (already being made and online) but want to get loads unbiased ideas - rather than just comment on existing stuff. GO GO GO

So you're ditching the jeans and tee for a french cuff + bling?

I think i have a french shirt from about 10 years ago buried in my wardrobe and also a dinner shirt with studs.

I can see the value of the bling factor on the dinner shirt however I much prefer the simplicity and practicality of a nice button for every day wear.

davodiva

Reaction score
If you wore those shoes without socks you'd look like a goose.
This is true. They're whole cuts. If you were after a casual, sock less style, then driving loafers or any loafer would suit more.
IMO anything leather with full laces looks stupid without socks.

What a bunch of old fuddy duddy spoilsports.

The Harvey Normans of the sartorial world.

This is what is holding Australia back!

Maybe, maybe...

...canvas/summer/boating shoes of course. They can be thrown in the washing machine.

But any leather shoes I've worn sockless end up smelling so much they hav to be chucked.

davodiva

Reaction score
To say that online has taken away Australian jobs is a comment just as ignorant as the comments that Gerry himself has made. If you actually analyse the financial metrics of any online business you will see their cost structure is IDENTICAL in dollars as a brick and mortars retailer. It is just allocated differently within the economy.

+1

Australia is terribly complacent and is horrendous in capital allocation towards industries utilising knowledge base that comes from the advantage of education. We throw subsidies at old clunking manufacturing, and reduces R & D incentives for developers of technology which makes the manufacturing more efficient. All ostensibly to protect jobs, but in reality, it is to protect votes by appeasing powerful unions.

I see the same argument playing up with the automatic check-out machines at the grocers. The machines are there because the demand is there. I hear the same old arguments repeated ad nauseaum with introduction of any new technology eg ATMs, online billing, automatic tollgates, etc.

To give you a ludicrous example of how bad we are at funding technology, a recent Australian startup has to go to the US to get funding, and the funding was provided 70% by Australian investors. Am I the only one who sees this with real sadness?

As for the lost of young people's jobs as check-out blokes and chicks, I actually rejoice at the idea. My mate operates a start-up and he is screaming for good switched-on young graphic designers with a modicum of work ethics and initiative. The business is growing at 100% plus per annum in a market with zero competitors. Another client of mine needs administrative assistants able to handle the paperwork in a shipping/logistics business. And I can go on and on. A scarcity of Harvey Norman and other **** brain dead jobs means better futures for young people willing to take the initiative and work hard at higher level jobs.

Read up Lee Kuan Yew's book, especially his take on India, where he had the experience of five persons at a golf club pampering him, from taking off his shoes to giving him a towel and getting him a drink. That is job creation for the unaware.

You're on the Money here P/Pan....the de-skilling of the Australian economy is a problem indeed - especially for the prospects of a future middle class, an entrepreneurial class, and at least of modicum of Australian sovereignty.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, gonna go with socks with my wholecuts and I'll try to get a photo up later.
As I said earlier: any news on the TM Lewin Casual line and are they at any of the Melbourne Myer stores.

Thanks

rhubarb jam

Reaction score
But any leather shoes I've worn sockless end up smelling so much they hav to be chucked.
Time to invest in some invisble socks my friend. Best investment I've made in a while. Gone are the days of smelly shoes. I reccomend the french brand Achiles, available on their website.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Having a coffee and a tart at Alimentari--great tip, whoever that was.
ill take credit thanks:)

EDIT: if you are still there you must eat the baked cheesecake - its from Papas!!! best EVER

Last edited:

davodiva

Reaction score
Time to invest in some invisble socks my friend. Best investment I've made in a while. Gone are the days of smelly shoes. I reccomend the french brand Achiles, available on their website.

Good call rhu...I'll check it out. diva

davodiva

Reaction score
So you're ditching the jeans and tee for a french cuff + bling?

I think i have a french shirt from about 10 years ago buried in my wardrobe and also a dinner shirt with studs.

I can see the value of the bling factor on the dinner shirt however I much prefer the simplicity and practicality of a nice button for every day wear.

Point taken romp....my interest in the cufflinks is more of a professional thing - I design them for others to wear! - I come from a long line of sartorialists... its in the blood (outfitters to the gentry - late of Manchester)

ME - well I dress like a Hobo (ask my daughter) and there's no question I need to clean up my act here! And yes its plain sleeved shirts and jeans etc. Alas 'Rome was'nt built in a day' + 'old habits die hard' etc etc
But I'll get there....with a bit of help...
diva

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

simplicity and practicality

aka utilitarian :p

Now that I am going down the MTM shirt route, I am going to try to order shirts with features taken from two rough groups based roughly around seasons (which sort of dictate how often I wear a jacket and tie) and what I think fits well together.

I'm sure I won't stick to this totally, but something like:

"Formal"/winter - to be worn most often with both tie and jacket
-no placket
-french cuffs
-spread/point collars
-conservative & traditional solid colours and fabrics
-heavier fabrics and weaves

"Informal"/summer - the flexibility to be worn sans tie and jacket if required
-lighter fabrics and weaves
-more patterns & colours
-BD collars/box pleats/plackets
-button cuffs
-cutaway collars
-little shorter perhaps so that some of them can be worn untucked as well

Not "rules", but just my opinion on what works well together. I guess for me its all about balance, e.g. French cuffs and cufflinks are a bit "fancier", and are more for the winter (they look odd when wearing slacks instead of a suit, for example), and so pairing them with a basic colour and fabric works well. Plaids, checks & stripes have enough interest in themselves that pairing them with french cuffs is a bit OTT.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Point taken romp....my interest in the cufflinks is more of a professional thing - I design them for others to wear! - I come from a long line of sartorialists... its in the blood (outfitters to the gentry - late of Manchester)

ME - well I dress like a Hobo (ask my daughter) and there's no question I need to clean up my act here! And yes its plain sleeved shirts and jeans etc. Alas 'Rome was'nt built in a day' + 'old habits die hard' etc etc
But I'll get there....with a bit of help...
diva
Yeah for sure - if cufflinks is your thing there is definitely a market for it!

If you could make me some braided leather cufflinks that'd be sweet. And also silk knots i dont mind.. its just the metallic ones i find too formal/dressy but its all relative to each person's own style and environment.
aka utilitarian :p
Now that I am going down the MTM shirt route, I am going to try to order shirts with features taken from two rough groups based roughly around seasons (which sort of dictate how often I wear a jacket and tie) and what I think fits well together.
I'm sure I won't stick to this totally, but something like:
"Formal"/winter - to be worn most often with both tie and jacket
-no placket
-french cuffs
-spread/point collars
-conservative & traditional solid colours and fabrics
-heavier fabrics and weaves
"Informal"/summer - the flexibility to be worn sans tie and jacket if required
-lighter fabrics and weaves
-more patterns & colours
-BD collars/box pleats/plackets
-button cuffs
-cutaway collars
-little shorter perhaps so that some of them can be worn untucked as well
Not "rules", but just my opinion on what works well together. I guess for me its all about balance, e.g. French cuffs and cufflinks are a bit "fancier", and are more for the winter (they look odd when wearing slacks instead of a suit, for example), and so pairing them with a basic colour and fabric works well. Plaids, checks & stripes have enough interest in themselves that pairing them with french cuffs is a bit OTT.

sounds good - If you plan to wear sans tie see how the button placement is.. a slightly lower 2nd button helps bridge the gap between too high "nerdy" and too low "gigilo"

Also consider the fusing/interlining in the cuffs/collars. I like my casual shirts to have very lightweight interlining

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sounds good - If you plan to wear sans tie see how the button placement is.. a slightly lower 2nd button helps bridge the gap between too high "nerdy" and too low "gigilo"

Also consider the fusing/interlining in the cuffs/collars. I like my casual shirts to have very lightweight interlining 

Good point re buttons did not think of that.

Does anyone have any general advice on fused v un-fused in specific collar types? Ie does fused work better for, say, a wide cutaway? or is it all personal preference?

Never been in a position to choose! My first MTM shirt had unfused collar and cuffs which I loved, but I'm not sure that it would have enough hold and shape for some collar types ie a curved cutaway.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Good point re buttons did not think of that.
Does anyone have any general advice on fused v un-fused in specific collar types? Ie does fused work better for, say, a wide cutaway? or is it all personal preference?
Never been in a position to choose! My first MTM shirt had unfused collar and cuffs which I loved, but I'm not sure that it would have enough hold and shape for some collar types ie a curved cutaway.
depends on fabric too

you could go heavy interlining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads