• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Hare's did get a little darker after spraying them. Wasn't a big deal though.

jmills

Reaction score
Just a heads up... DJ's Perth has MJ Bale shirts on sale at half price.

Here is a photo of the AS Moore Cherry that arrived today, in case anyone is interested (they are on the right, burgundy provided for reference). I wasn't too sure about them from the photos online, but the colour is really is something else in person. I'm not sure photos can do it justice, especially with storms here giving me rubbish lighting. They are like a pale red under light, but a bit brown as well.

I'm going to be using neutral polish on these, I think.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah the Wapro spray is fine.
It will darken them up a tiny bit - but not as much as a big greasy ugly fat stain on the vamp.*
Without a protector spray /coat you wont be brushing grease off after every second use - it will sink in - forever.
*Note use of key word in sentence.

Protip: If you go clubbing with your suede shoes, no amount of spray will save them.

In other news, actually browsed Myer's watches section tonight. To my surprise, the very first men's watch I have ever seen with a MOP dial happens to be a Kenneth Cole one... kind of sad really.

Hilfiger shawl collar, 1b, 2 vent dinner jacket $100 on Amazon... sounds tempting for an item I'd be surprise to wear more than once a year...

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Just a heads up... DJ's Perth has J Bale shirts on sale at half price.

Here is a photo of the AS Moore Cherry that arrived today, in case anyone is interested (they are on the right, burgundy provided for reference). I wasn't too sure about them from the photos online, but the colour is really is something else in person. I'm not sure photos can do it justice, especially with storms here giving me rubbish lighting. They are like a pale red under light, but a bit brown as well.

Nice shoes man.. How do they fit? I was eyeing off the same in black to replace my junkers.. Otherwise i, was eyeing off alden 907 in black

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
Hey I'm back guys! (haven't had the urge to post)

Got my Meermin's yesterday: http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2345
Loving them (although that might be the 'start-up' phase) they feel stiff but should be better in a couple weeks; thinking I might try a review of these guys when their broken in :)
Can you put up a picture of them after a few wears.
I've been looking at this model for a while and want to see how they hold up with creasing.

thanks.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also for anyone interested, Grenson for Asos navy suede desert boots are on sale at Asos for $160~. Sizes 8AU+

eightace

Reaction score
Just a heads up... DJ's Perth has MJ Bale shirts on sale at half price.

Very nice! Just my cup of tea!

What's the one on the left?

jmills

Reaction score
Cheers for the compliments.
smile.gif

Nice shoes man.. How do they fit? I was eyeing off the same in black to replace my junkers.. Otherwise i, was eyeing off alden 907 in black

I'm probably going to seem really eccentric for giving this much detail, but... length wise, they are perfectly normal. The heel area is reasonably generous. They are just slightly narrower than the average - my feet are a bit wider than normal, and the shoes are just wide and high enough to accommodate my toes without problems. They are very comfortable to stroll around in, even right out of the box, as they are not made from the hard leather that some of the other brands are. The squared last isn't nearly as aggressive as it sometimes looks online, and they polish up really well too. Hope that's useful to you.
Very nice! Just my cup of tea!

What's the one on the left?

The other shoe is a Loake 1880 Strand in Burgundy.

Just a quick question, does anyone know of any brands that make decent exceptionally slim shirts RTW? I'm *trying* to avoid doing MTM for now. I'm about a 17 collar, but I'm writing this post with a casual shirt on, which I measured to have a 44 chest and 38 waist, and it's just about perfect (save the collar) even that billows out over my trousers slightly. Of all the brands in the world, Thomas Pink makes a super slim one that is about right, but that's not exactly an ideal choice for a few reasons, price being one of them. I'm guessing the only real option is to find a collar/chest that fits and get the waist taken in. Thanks for any advice...

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers for the compliments. :)

I'm probably going to seem really eccentric for giving this much detail, but... length wise, they are perfectly normal. The heel area is reasonably generous. They are just slightly narrower than the average - my feet are a bit wider than normal, and the shoes are just wide and high enough to accommodate my toes without problems. They are very comfortable to stroll around in, even right out of the box, as they are not made from the hard leather that some of the other brands are. The squared last isn't nearly as aggressive as it sometimes looks online, and they polish up really well too. Hope that's useful to you.

The other shoe is a Loake 1880 Strand in Burgundy.

Just a quick question, does anyone know of any brands that make decent exceptionally slim shirts RTW? I'm *trying* to avoid doing MTM for now. I'm about a 17 collar, but I'm writing this post with a casual shirt on, which I measured to have a 44 chest and 38 waist, and it's just about perfect (save the collar) even that billows out over my trousers slightly. Of all the brands in the world, Thomas Pink makes a super slim one that is about right, but that's not exactly an ideal choice for a few reasons, price being one of them. I'm guessing the only real option is to find a collar/chest that fits and get the waist taken in. Thanks for any advice...

What's the height of the vamp on the AS shoes like, compared to the Loakes? I have a pair of the Strands and I think that they are a great shoe for the money.

In regard to slim cut shirts, I think that you might struggle a bit because of your neck measurement - I have the same chest and waist measurements to you, but a 16" neck and I find that there are plenty of slim-fitting shirts out there.

You could try some of the Italian makers, such as Barba or Finamore (from eBay, eHabersher or Shop the Finest, for example). Or, you could try Charles Tyrwhitt's slimmest-fitting line as they were actually a bit too slim for me so they're probably cut pretty slim in the 17" neck model, too.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sick of paying high prices for cheap Made in Asia shirts and after seeing what Herringbone had to offer was the last straw.

Doing a bit online reaseach lead me to the following three options for Made in Australia shirts:
Edward Stripe "4 Australia"
Ganton "Special Collection"
Jensen by Ganton.

Has anyone had experience with any of these manufactureres?
Specifically their Made in Australia shirts?

I'd be happy to pay $195 for the Edward Stripe considering a Thomas Pink Made in Vietnam isn't far off that price.

I used to buy Ganton shirts a decade or so ago, when they were still made in Australia. To be quite frank, they weren't very good then - the collar band was low, the collar was fused with permanent collar stays, the construction quality was mediocre and the fit was baggy. Things might have improved since them, but I'm not too optimistic.

Similarly, I had an Edward Stripe shirt that was made in Australia quite a few years ago (although I understand that most of their shirts are now made in Vietnam) and whilst it was better than Ganton, it still wasn't great - the collar was stiff and lifeless, the cut was baggy, and the construction was better than Ganton but still not great.

I realise that you want to buy Australian-made products, and that is commendable, but instead of paying high prices for stuff that is made overseas for companies such as Thomas Pink, have you considered paying low prices for stuff that is made overseas?

Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin shirts commonly sell for GBP 25 each (in a 4 for GBP 100 deal) and are equal in quality to Thomas Pink. TM Lewin is stocked in some Myer (?) stores and they've just opened a stand-alone store in Sydney. Charles Tyrwhitt is (or was, at least) also stocked in some Myer or DJs so you could possibly try them on before buying to establish whether it fits you or not. Both companies have excellent, easy to use e-commerce sites and have very generous return policies.

In the interest of walking the walk, I present, for your judgement, my first and second attempt at making my own tie.
This is in relation to my earlier post questioning the ridiculous pricing of men's ties

The Madras is attempt number 1 and the black & white check is attempt number 2
Total cost for both is $20 for fabric and $2 for old ties to get their interlining.

Whilst the symmetry of the ties needs some improvement, I think that it's a commendable first attempt - certainly better than I could ever hope to do - and I hope that you keep on practising so as to refine the shape.

With regard to purchasing "off the rack" ties, I'm happy to pay $100 or a bit more for ties from places such as Vanda in Singapore, as their ties are entirely hand-made, to a very high standard, and they are a small, "boutique" operation. There are plenty of places to pick up inexpensive ties - for example, new-with-tags RL Polo ties, which are made in Italy and are usually very nice, can often be found on eBay for $30-$40 each, and the same goes for Brooks Brothers ties (which are made in their NY factory).

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from Henry Carter thread.

Great sale, have treated myself to some pin dot socks. Good luck with the wedding and everything around it. Looking forward to seeing the new Henry Carter stock in the next few months. There are a few things on my "Need Want to get" list.

Following up on my order. Ordered Friday morning, arrived Wednesday. Very happy with the socks. Henry Carter delivers again. Good luck for the big day Jason.

And a few wise words on suede from the chaps at Put This On

http://putthison.com/post/12793852286/q-and-answer-how-should-you-protect-your-suede

http://putthison.com/post/554697272/suedeandwater

http://putthison.com/post/5453322027/one-of-the-great-things-about-summer-is-that-you

http://putthison.com/post/19555231215/can-you-wear-suede-shoes-in-the-rain-yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads