1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burnso

burnso Senior member

Wait wait wait. What shoes did you get though? ;)

DHL have done this to me once or twice, I think due to a large weekend influx they'll dish off to AP or a courier.

I have had issues with the postie to my apartment building. Either parcels left without signature or carded without delivery attempt.
    I think I put the complaint over the phone and they appeared to take it seriously. Few weeks later the courier was clearly sorted out.
    Im pretty sure however that it was anonymous (to the courier), unsure how a complaint about rep and courier would sit...

2. joiji

joiji Senior member

Double Monk retail pricing

3. Nicholas D C

Nicholas D C Well-Known Member

This particularly parcel was 3 cedar shoe trees - no shoes this time! That said, I've got my eyes on a couple boots and a loafer to round out my collection a little, as I don't really have anything for more casual wear (with jeans and the like).

However, in other (more positive news), the Rubinacci and Drakes silk knit ties arrived today from Exquisite Trimmings. Very impressed with both, can't wait to wear 'em with my suits.

4. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Anyone here a 42R in the Herringbone Osaka cut? Have a navy fully-canvassed brand new suit I'd like to part with.

5. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

You sexy motherfucker.

6. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

Too lazy to quote.
    Double monk will be getting UK6 in selected styles (I asked when I was there as I'm a 6.5).
    Cheney was about $1500 from memory.
    MJ Bale jackets are too long for this 36 S/R. Oh well.

7. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I wouldn't mind some chicken rice served by the MJ Bale sales rep.

Back in Mildura today, both fantasies will have to wait.

8. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Should be less than that. For example, I've calculated 8 shoe trees with postage at 110 euros, or $140 AUD, or $17.50 each. If the order is for more, it gets slightly cheaper and cheaper. 10 is $16.5 each, 12 is $15.8 each.

9. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Hurray for my hobbit feet; hopefully they will find a place in a pair :)

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Cool. Which was your place of choice in Singapore?

Seems like only the Sydneysiders are jumping in with their recommendations - c'mon Melbourne people!

I quite like the chicken rice at Coconut House on Elizabeth St.

11. ennb

ennb New Member

Sorry to jump in, been reading on here a bit. Went looking for suits today in Melbourne, not with massive success. Am starting graduate job soon so don't have bundles of cash.

Recommended here was Azzaro in south Melbourne, I went to see if I could pick up a Cantarelli but they could do them for around 900 which is out of budget, I'm looking for two suits for around 1000. The in house brand 'Azzaro' seemed nice, does anyone have experience with these price was 500?

Looked around in other shops but Myers and David jones didn't have anything worth buying at that price. Either I'm going to go for the azzaro or get a couple of Charles Tyrwhitt suits shipped from the UK for probably around $700 or so total.

Also for those interested, as said a few pages back, American Tailors had a small selection of C&J for 395, which were very nice but out of my price. Other than these all shoes I saw were poor, or very expensive. Dropped in to beggar man thief and they had a small section of loakes not 1818 model for quite a lot around 300 I think.

Lastly navy suits and brown shoes in Australia, or stick with black?

Thanks

12. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Laksa King was ok for Chicken Rice. But obvi that I would go for laksa when there. Also, Malaya Inn in Doncaster had pretty good taste as well.

How good is the serve on Raonic!? It's basically a serve game...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  13. sliq

sliq Senior member

agree. the MOP on the buottonieres are astounding. p.s. no love for watch over sleeve on your popover? ;)

14. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Trouser/pants ideas (colours) for the following blazer?

[​IMG]

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Charcoal flannels. Personally though, I won't wear a coat, be it suit or odd jacket with a center vent. it just doesn't feel correct to me nor does it flatter many body shapes, though a lot of Americans will disagree with that.

16. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

It's from Indochino so I'll be getting dual vents.

17. eightace

eightace Senior member

CD,

This might interest you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Shoe-Restoration-v-B-Nelson-Shoe-Restoration

Actually, it will probably interest anyone looking at getting their shoes restored.

Cheers,

Eightace

18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Tough one that. If it was me I'd get the matching pants as that fabric would make a nice suit. Not so sure about its versatility as an odd jacket though... The fact you are unsure yourself what to wear it with probably tells you something.

fxh can elaborate I'm sure but as a brief aside to this, I think the American preference for single vent jackets (lapsed as it may be - not sure it's applicable nowadays) stemmed from some notion that they were a more egalitarian style. Double vents were, if memory serves, originally designed to accommodate a saddle of a horse - apparently this had plutocratic associations. Hence double vents were seen by Americans (as cufflinks were/maybe still are in some contexts) as a bit stuffy and offensive to the notion of all Americans being created equal (as far as that was interpreted i.e. if you were white, male, etc.)

Then again, the whole thing could be apocryphal.

19. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Navy. Navy goes with everything.

20. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Dark racing green corduroys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.