Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Hey guys just wondering if you think I could wear these: http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2345 (got em 2 days ago)
    casually e.g. denim,chinos, casual shirts etc. (and should I go sockless or colourful socks?)

P.S.
    Any news on T.M. Lewin Casual line, where can I try out at Melbourne (heard they weren't stocked at the Melbourne Myer's yet).

Thanks

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Is there ever any doubt. Fuck yeah I could do that. How cool is it - just leave out socks. No cost. Look Mum - No Socks. Aww but all the cool kids are allowed to! http://sexyankles.tumblr.com/

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  3. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I'd love to see some pics of these if possible.

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

If you wore those shoes without socks you'd look like a goose.

5. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

This is true. They're whole cuts. If you were after a casual, sock less style, then driving loafers or any loafer would suit more.

6. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

IMO anything leather with full laces looks stupid without socks.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm about to wash a pair of sand colour DBs for the third time.

One things the nice young , possibly even sockless, guys at PTO didn't mention is that when washing use warm , not hot water, and you must brush the dirt out first - dry - then make sure there is plenty of lather.

Which you apply two or three times and wash off each time. Its the lather that gets the dirt off. Make sure the lather is a thick paste not thin. Its the thick paste that gets off the gunk. Just like washing your hands prior to surgery. Its the thick paste that gets rid of the germs.

A non perfumed hair shampoo, Baby Shampoo, is best to use on suede.

Try not to get them wet inside!

Stuff them with newspaper afterwards and leave in a warm dry spot, NOT NEAR A HEATER for a day or so to dry.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  8. fxh

fxh Senior member

What a bunch of old fuddy duddy spoilsports.

The Harvey Normans of the sartorial world.

This is what is holding Australia back!

http://sexyankles.tumblr.com/

9. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

You could do those shoes w/socks and mixed separates but thats as far as Id be able to personally dress them down.

Pressed conservatively coloured chinos, shirt, navy blazer

If you want suede lace ups for more casual then id go lighter in colour in maybe a full brogue/longwing style

Otherwise ditch the laces and go a penny loafer/driving loafer/boat shoe etc

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Personally speaking, I prefer my suede shoes to have some detailing on them, such as a captoe, rather than being wholecuts. However, they are nice shoes and I think that they would look good. I'd tend to wear them with socks (rather than without), and I think that they would go really well with both cotton chino pants and with woollen trousers (grey, navy, beige, air force blue etc). Personally, I wouldn't wear them with jeans although I suppose that they could go with a pair of slim, dark jeans.

11. davodiva

davodiva Active Member

On ya fxh. Yeah its true I'm yet to fully grow up - never quite left adolscence (deplorable). However I would like to fudge it & dress like a grownup for clients. CUFFLINKS: yes...need lots feed back here...I will unveil my own products in due course (already being made and online) but want to get loads unbiased ideas - rather than just comment on existing stuff. GO GO GO

12. davodiva

davodiva Active Member

Originally Posted by DartagnanRed [​IMG]

I started my day by accidentally picking up the wrong spray bottle and applying large amounts of suede protector to my underarm before noticing.Originally Posted by DartagnanRed [​IMG]

Yeah well..I picked up a tube of jock itch reliever (or so I thought) one dark night and rubbed colgate flouride over me nether regions. unbelievable whiteness!

13. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

+ 1 on the Lewin and Tyrwhitt - they last a year or so, look good, have nice fabrics but, after that they go the brothers in law. Dont think they are a shirt made to last a long time like for example an Eton, but then at 10 times the cost its what one would expect from an Eton. Hope to find some Charvet in Hong Kong, not looking promising.

14. davodiva

davodiva Active Member

French cuffs have an elegance and beauty about them that the utilitarian barrel cuff will never possess.

(But only if they're done up)

Too too true. The contradiction is, most cufflinks sold are cheap...ie cheap in look if not in price. My guess is that they are bought on impulse but don't get much use. A beautiful french cuff/shirt etc needs to be complemented by real quality cufflinks - classic silver etc - not gimmiks or bling.

15. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Got my Owen and James shirt, it fits absolutely perfectly, will definitely be ordering some more soon. Thanks heaps.

Any chance of a blue oxford down the track?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.