• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

npvpositive

Reaction score
I recently had flush metal toe taps put on my lovely Vass shoes by Baxter & Black in Newtown.

I had an old but much-loved pair of Alden boots completely re-soled, corked, re-heeled by Baxter & Black. They do sensational work, though you have to accept that it doesn't come cheap . . . a rebuild costs more than most punters pay for a pair of shoes!

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I wasn't able to rebook to 8 days in and out of Sydney so does anybody have a good suggestion how to use the fact that I have to go through Melbourne to get out (you know, by flying right back to Sydney on Qantas before taking United back to Houston, lol). @Geoffrey Firmin what part of Sydney should I look to AirBNB in?
What dates you travelling? Can’t write now but may have time later.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's plenty to see and do near Melbourne. I'd recommend that you rent a car and hit the Dandenong Ranges - only an hour away. Gorgeous Australian forest scenery, some good tourist spots like the William Ricketts Sanctuary, the National Rhododendron Gardens, and beautiful drives.

You could alternatively drive down to the Mornington Peninsula - rolling hills, ocean views, swimming, many boutique wineries. Drop in for lunch at Ten Minutes By Tractor which I've heard has some of the best food in Australia.

Or you could drive the Maroondah Highway over the Black Spur to Narbethong, then double back to Warburton via the Acheron Way (mostly unsealed road, but an easy drive), finishing with a drive up to the top of Mount Donna Buang.

It's all good.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could alternatively drive down to the Mornington Peninsula - rolling hills, ocean views, swimming, many boutique wineries. Drop in for lunch at Ten Minutes By Tractor which I've heard has some of the best food in Australia.
Ten Minutes by Tractor also makes some of the best Pinot Noir in the country.

RobertM_

Reaction score
About to fly to Melbourne - need to pick up a white shirt for a wedding tomorrow at short notice when I arrive. Budget $100 - $200. Recommendations?

Preferably slim fit cutaway collar non-iron, but I could be convinced otherwise.

Last edited:

RobertM_

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I ended up grabbing a few from MJ Bale.

Edit: and, as it turns out a suit from Henry Bucks EOS sale at a decent clip off

Last edited:

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend an invisible mending place in Sydney that won’t break the bank? I went to La Couterier in the dymocks building for a quote. They wanted a kings ransom.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend an invisible mending place in Sydney that won’t break the bank?

I don't have any recommendations for Sydney, but invisible mending is generally pretty damned expensive, especially if the cloth has any sort of pattern or anything other than a plain weave.

I had a small hole in the front of a pair of trousers once, due to a moth attach, and I was quoted $120 to have that single hole mended, in a pair of plain charcoal trousers. Unless the item is really something special, it may simply not be worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads