1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

Given the wealth of info given on the last dining request I thought I'd check for recs from the SF Oz team.
    Looking for reccommendations for fine dining options in Sydney. So far considering Quay or Momofuku. My wife is a big fan of degustation with 'interesting dishes' (i.e. not just a top notch steak, but rather dishes and ingredients you wouldn't usually get a chance to try). Anyone tried both and care to weigh in or have a 3rd option that may be more on the mark?

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

Tetsuyas.

Friend of mine went to Sagra last week and enjoyed it.

3. sliq

sliq Distinguished Member

Tetsuya is a touch overrated.

Bennelong, Aria, Cirrus dining are great. There’s also Aqua Dining, Automata, EST.

4. boot_owl

boot_owl Senior Member

Wasn’t in love with automata, went there in November. A2 (their casual ‘canteen’ styled dining) was however, excellent.

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Aria yes. Always enjoy it food is excellent. Bennelong...meh.

6. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

Which would have the most unique dishes? For example, my wife's favourite place in Adelaide is Orana because they serve things like honeyed ants, roo crackling, and a variety of aus bush plants that you wouldnt see on many other menus.
    I made a reservation for Quay but having second thoughts as their sample menu lools fairly straightforward.

7. losrockets

losrockets Distinguished Member

Hi all! I just impulse booked a solo trip to Australia and now I'm trying to fill in the itinerary on the back-end (usually what happens). I was able to book an 8 day open jaw from Houston to Sydney (land on a Sunday morning) and then Melbourne back to Houston (depart on a Monday morning) in November for only $560 total so I couldn't resist. After spending some time on Tripadvisor I'm questioning if trying to hit two cities in 8 days is a stretch and perhaps I should have stayed around Sydney, but the deal is no longer available (I have 16 hours to cancel though if you think this is a stupid trip). I would rather spend more time and really enjoy a place than just take a snapshot and turn around and hit the next destination. And while I'm pretty active on Styleforum, when I travel solo I'm very active and enjoy photography and the outdoors in general (hikes, kayaking, animals, etc.) over nice restaurants and museums/performances, preferring to pick up local history and cuisine on the go. All of that said, I was wondering if y'all could help me figure out how to best use my time:

In Sydney in addition to the obvious destinations (Bondi to Coogee, Manly, exploring the city itself) I'd love to take a trip to the Blue Mountains and visit the zoo. How many days is this? 3? 5? I guess it depends on if I overnight at the Blue Mountains - worth it? And then I'm really struggling w/ how to use the balance of my time in Melbourne. It looks like a great food city and I'll definitely check a few places out, but I'm more interested in the attractions around Melbourne which I've learned aren't so close by. One suggestion I came across on a tripadvisor thread was "fly from Sydney to Geelong (Avalon Airport AVV), grab your rental car and drive to Apollo Bay via Kennett River that night. The next day explore GOR/Port Campbell NP. Stay Port Campbell or Warrnambool that night. Spend the next 2 nights in the Grampians. The following day drive back to Melbourne dropping your car in the city for your final afternoon exploring laneways and street art." But this looks like a 5 day itinerary (mapped out here: https://goo.gl/maps/gTn5CcwABoL2) Is there a reasonable truncated version wherein the experiences outweigh the significant drive time? Should I just save this for a subsequent trip to Australia and just do Melbourne and Phillips Island instead?

Thanks!

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Distinguished Member

OK, so if you are in Melbourne for a few days I don't think it's worth doing Apollo Bay, Warrnambool or the Grampians. The Grampians are a looong way from Melbourne. You could do the great ocean road and stay overnight somewhere.

The other option I would consider given the short amount of time you have is just going to Sydney and then driving up or down the north or south coast for some beach/outdoors action. The Sydneyites will advise which is best. I think this would better suit if you actually like to spend time in a place.

9. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Distinguished Member

Probably something to be said with just sticking around Sydney as time can go quite quickly but assuming you stick to your original plan....Grampians are like < 3 hours from Melbourne, not sure that qualifies as looong but agree, don't think you should try to jam it in. I think idea of flying into Geelong/Avalon and then doing the GOR before finishing in Melbourne is not a bad plan. You'll be rushing it but over night stay or two along the road will still be fun, ocean air, good food and a gorgeous drive out and about from the city.

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Any Journalistas out there? Last year for my 60th I used a couple of hand made ones, one from The Art of Bookbinding in the Southern Highlands and SB Libris in Bendigo, recomend both of them. Now back to the grind. Given up on Moleskine. I recently read an article on the NYT and discovered a designed NYC/made in Taiwan brand Baron Fig. Cloth bound good quality paper journal,have been using a fountain pen this past week and very happy as no bleed through on the pages. Recomend them.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

11. Geoffrey Firmin

@losrockets spend most of the time in Sydney (cultural bias on display) Also use AirB&B. Depending on your tastes Newtown Potts Point or Bondi. I used it quite regulary.

Bondi is good for eye stran but the costal walk to Clovelly is well worth it.

12. Fanfare

Fanfare New Member

I generally use Leuchtturm 1917. The paper weight is between Moleskine and Rhodia, and the cost is moderate which better accommodates my relatively voluminous chicken scratches.

I haven't experienced bleed through, but I do typically fill with dry inks in narrow nibs: my workhorse is Pelikan Blue-Black in an EF Montblanc Meisterstück. I wouldn't expect the paper to hold up to a wet ink like Diamine Asa Blue.

13. losrockets

losrockets Distinguished Member

Thanks for the tips! I wasn't able to rebook to 8 days in and out of Sydney so does anybody have a good suggestion how to use the fact that I have to go through Melbourne to get out (you know, by flying right back to Sydney on Qantas before taking United back to Houston, lol). @Geoffrey Firmin what part of Sydney should I look to AirBNB in?

14. Geoffrey Firmin

My personal preference is Newton,Potts Point, Elizabeth Bay or Bondi.

15. Geoffrey Firmin

Couldn’t find a Leuchtturm 1917 in the stores I visited. Been using Pelikan Turquoise for years in a DuPont line D.