• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attending a four-day trade show

big d 51

Reaction score
The attire is business casual and advised to wear good walking shoes.

I do not have a goal to make an impression or meet any specific stakeholders. The primary agenda is to experience the new technology with a little networking.

I plan on wearing jeans with a button up, solid long sleeve shirt...with a sports coat, possibly.

Do you think I am headed in the right direction or go nicer?

What shoes do you recommend?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dustin

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do not have a goal to make an impression or meet any specific stakeholders. The primary agenda is to experience the new technology with a little networking.

I plan on wearing jeans with a button up, solid long sleeve shirt...with a sports coat, possibly.

Dustin
It really depends where this conference will take place, and what industry you are in. For tech, this is more than adequate, as long as the jeans are dark and slim and neat. Maybe a pair of chukkas like Church's Saharas: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...did=4&catid=6&oldcolid=1845&stype=0&overlay=1 or Aldens: http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...xcel/pvc-ald-mxs-13789_ald_m_chukka_boot.html

For other industries, you might want to go with good wool pants, a pair of casual shoes (I think that brown suede is always nice), a well fitting shirt, and maybe a sports jacket at dinner or if it gets a bit nippy. Tie only if you are wearing a jacket.

The important thing is to dress in an approachable but professional manner, whatever those standards might be in your industry.

big d 51

Reaction score
It really depends where this conference will take place, and what industry you are in. For tech, this is more than adequate, as long as the jeans are dark and slim and neat. Maybe a pair of chukkas like Church's Saharas: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...did=4&catid=6&oldcolid=1845&stype=0&overlay=1 or Aldens: http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...xcel/pvc-ald-mxs-13789_ald_m_chukka_boot.html

For other industries, you might want to go with good wool pants, a pair of casual shoes (I think that brown suede is always nice), a well fitting shirt, and maybe a sports jacket at dinner or if it gets a bit nippy. Tie only if you are wearing a jacket.

The important thing is to dress in an approachable but professional manner, whatever those standards might be in your industry.

Thank you for the prompt reply. It is great to have a resource like the forums.

My wife and I love the shoes. The only caveat is I do not think that I can pull those off (I like the Aldens the best). I used to be a body builder; therefore, I am somewhat a bring frame guy. Pulling off those shoes with dark and slim jeans would be hard for me and much easier if i was slim figured (maybe I am wrong).

I do like the dark jeans idea. I will do my best trying to find something that looks decent on me.

Here are my current shoe options (without having to purchase anything):

allenedmonds_shoes_strand_oxblood_l.jpg

allenedmonds_shoes_carlyle_walnut_l.jpg

The only concern is how comfortable would these type shoes be for walking around all day.

I do think I MAY be able to pull off something like this:

allenedmonds_shoes_neumok_brown_l.jpg

I do want to try some color laces, but I am not sure if this is the shoe.

The industry is fabrication/industrial/oil. Here is the specific trade show in Chicago, IL: http://www.fabtechexpo.com/ , I have Google some pictures, but I have seen men dressed in slacks, coat, and ties to jeans, polo, and running shoes. Again, I could probably get away with jeans, running shoes, and polo since I have no real agenda other than making a few rounds and leaving. This is my first year to attend, so I am going low key. However, I still like to look good.

Questions:

• Would either of the current shoes that I have work with jeans? If so, would they be comfortable enough to walk in all day? I have not wore them much other than a few meetings.

• If I purchase some suede shoes, what color do you recommend with dark jeans (any links to recommendations)? My sports coat is the navy (dark) brooks brothers with the gold buttons. I would wear some solid color long sleeve from brooks brothers.

• If I try color laces, do they have to match my shirt and work with suede shoes?

Thank you much for your time!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that a dark taupe or brown suede would work fine. For me, the two pairs of shoes that you show above are not only a bit too formal for jeans, but close lacing is, ime, also harder to wear around all day, because unlike a derby, with open lacing, there is not much room for the shoe to expand as your foot naturally swells throughout the day.

If you are looking for a shoe with a little more body, because you don't want footwear that you perceive to be too "sleek", consider these, by Sander, which makes chukkas that are a bit chunkier and rugged looking: http://us.stuartslondon.com/footwea...anders-hi-top-snuff-chukka-boot-6480ss-p16245

Incidentally, if you care about this type of stuff, this is the model that Steve McQueen wore regularly (and the chukkas are nicknamed the "Playboy" model.

If those are not your style, you might look at the Sander Bertie chukka (http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/products/sanders-bertie-boot-dirty-buck)

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dustin

Please, please, please, don't wear a brand new or close to new pair of dress shoes. If you are expected to walk a lot on carpet covered concrete floors, the best new shoes you can get is black sneakers.

It takes more than a few weeks and several miles for shoes to properly break-in.

Just my experiences from more than a decade of CES and other tech trade shows at Vegas.

Other big trade shows, especially in San Francisco, are much less taxing on your choice of shoes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please, please, please, don't wear a brand new or close to new pair of dress shoes. If you are expected to walk a lot on carpet covered concrete floors, the best new shoes you can get is black sneakers.

It takes more than a few weeks and several miles for shoes to properly break-in.

Just my experiences from more than a decade of CES and other tech trade shows at Vegas.

Other big trade shows, especially in San Francisco, are much less taxing on your choice of shoes.
I'm going to agree, but then also say that a crepe soled shoe will be pretty darn comfortable - about as comfortable as any shoes are going to be after you've been standing in them all day. Even that you are going to be standing all day, I would strongly advocate for something like the Sanders Playboy, which are reasonably cushioned. And suede is much more comfortable and supple from day 1.

big d 51

Reaction score
Excellent information. Chogall, thanks for sharing your sentiment as well. It always more value hearing others perspectives.

I'm really liking the suede idea. I have never owned a pair before. This "style" element is new to me. I have always been more of a jeans with boat shoes type of guy.

I really want to try to pull off a pair of suede shoes, color laces, colorful socks, dark jeans, long sleeve solid shirt with a sports coat look. Not sure if I can pull it off.

I'll update the thread with final verdict.

Last questions (for now, hehe):

Thanks again for your time. If anyone else likes to share their sentiment, please do. Going shopping next Tuesday.
:foo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

big d 51

Reaction score

Quote:

Do you mind sharing a picture of what you are alluding to with "black sneakers", please? Like to ensure I'm understanding correctly. Also, would you wear your black sneakers with slacks or jeans? Sports coat? Polo or button up? Thank you. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mind sharing a picture of what you are alluding to with "black sneakers", please? Like to ensure I'm understanding correctly. Also, would you wear your black sneakers with slacks or jeans? Sports coat? Polo or button up?

Thank you.

Something like this.

http://www.kentwang.com/shoes/sneaker-black.html

The standard of dressing varies wildly between different tech trade shoes and the profession of the attendees. Generally, more enterprise, more formal; more media, more casual; more international attendee, more formal, etc.

For example, in software trade shows, its going to be a shitload of suits. Security trade shows are slightly less formal as they have less sales and attendees from institutions with three alphabet acronyms. Consumer electronic/tooling trade shows, you got boatload of International attendees and they tend to dress more on the formal side. Media/gaming trade shows are very casual.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent information. Chogall, thanks for sharing your sentiment as well. It always more value hearing others perspectives.

I'm really liking the suede idea. I have never owned a pair before. This "style" element is new to me. I have always been more of a jeans with boat shoes type of guy.

I really want to try to pull off a pair of suede shoes, color laces, colorful socks, dark jeans, long sleeve solid shirt with a sports coat look. Not sure if I can pull it off.

I'll update the thread with final verdict.

Last questions (for now, hehe):

Thanks again for your time. If anyone else likes to share their sentiment, please do. Going shopping next Tuesday.
foo.gif

What @LA Guy recommended work great, or if you want some local/mall option, Clarks original chukka.

Colored laces, depending on your profession/position, is usually not a good idea.

big d 51

Reaction score
I ordered some sniff suede Allen Edmonds with matching belt. I will post pictures when they arrive. Again, thanks for all the help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads