• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Assistance with facial products - treating bacterial breakouts

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling pretty stupid for just now doing some (very cursory) web research on this, but I think I've determined the source of my facial breakouts. I suffered from acne pretty regularly in high school, and it has changed to something slightly more bulbous lately, I was prescribed muriprocin to apply to these new breakouts, but some research tells me that I have furuncle. This is apparently caused by bacterial infection of the skin follicles. And now that I think of it, my routine of benzoyl peroxide and differin has been doing a very good job of keeping my face free from more traditional acne. So I have a product to treat breakouts, but I would like to prevent them from occuring.

1. Should I make any changes to my shaving routine? Currently I shave every third or fourth day, using Kiss My Face Moisture Shave, an eShave fine badger brush and a Gillette Fusion razor. Should I take disinfectant steps for the brush or stop using it altogether? Should I use a different shave cream?

2. Can someone recommend the best possible antibacterial face wash? I would like to use it in conjunction with the Kiehl's Facial Fuel Energizing Scrub exfoliator which I use three times weekly.

3. Going forward, I'll be changing my towels and pillowcases far more frequently.

Note: I have seen a dermotologist about this and plan to soon see another one, but any recommendations now would be helpful. I think some of this can be attributed to a change in environment (read: moving to NYC) so that is a consideration as well.

Thank you for the help.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Does the shaving cream have oil in the ingredients list? If so, find something else. Don't shave against the grain.

If you're taking multivitamins, stop.

Don't overdo it on the products, too many cleansers and potions just dry out your skin and encourage oil production.

nelly

Reaction score
I would actually shave more often. While shaving irritates the skin, shaving when the hairs are longer irritates the skin even more because there is more pulling.

Also, www.acne.org is a really great place to read about different questions/issues you might have as well as reviews for any washes, moisturizers and Benzoyl peroxide products. The BP that Danielkern.com sells is fantastic- I don't use their wash or moisturizer though. I find it on par with proactiv/neutrogena except you get A LOT more and it's not as drying. Their trial and error shows that you really should be using more than traditionally thought (there is a video instruction).

Hope that helps.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To go through...

1. I'm pretty sure I don't shave against the grain; I shave downwards on the face and upwards on the neck. It doesn't feel against the grain.

2. The shaving lotion says that it has Lavender Oil, Coconut Oil and Olive Oil. I'll try something else. Is there a recommendation?

3. I will try shaving more often.

4. I don't think BP is needed -- I think I've determined that it's not acne, but a bacteria. And when I think about it, I don't think I have "acne" anymore; the BP that I have seems to do its job.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
1. I'm pretty sure I don't shave against the grain; I shave downwards on the face and upwards on the neck. It doesn't feel against the grain.
If you let your beard grow out for a few days and look closely you'll be able to tell. It does make a difference with bumps on the neck if that's a problem.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
An unscented "beauty bar" like Dove or Oil or Olay is best, aggressive cleansers will dry out your skin and make your acne worse.

How old are you?

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I can add that after reading more about the issue, the solution that I'm finding most effective is the simplest: a hot compress for 15 minutes or so does wonders for the skin.

But still, that's great treatment. I'm looking for prevention. I will look into the bars mentioned above, though it would be hard to use that at work. With a wash, I could bring it into the bathroom and close it up, head back to the desk.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why stop taking a multivitamin? Malnutrition can contribute to the problem. Also, if one is low in it (quite likely in winter), vitamin D probably is good for fighting any infection.

The razor blade needs to be clean, and don't store towels on dirty surfaces. You might as well stop using the brush until the infection is cleared up. Then the brush will need to be disinfected or replaced. Don't expect an over-the-counter product to get rid of a bacterial infection. A dermatologist ought to be able to recommend (or, in all likelihood, prescribe) a solution.

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Why stop taking a multivitamin? Malnutrition can contribute to the problem. Also, if one is low in it (quite likely in winter), vitamin D probably is good for fighting any infection.

I've actually had my face breakout from taking a multivitamin. "One-A-Day" vitamins to be exact. The same thing happened to one of my family members. Rather odd, but it definitely did cause it.

maacone

Reaction score
I used to get acne, boils etc. on a regular basis and tried lots of different cleansing products, medicines etc.

Then I quit eating refined sugar, baked goods, flour, pasta, rice and processed foods and my skin became a lot clearer on it's own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads