1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. Adroit

Adroit Senior Member

Good See Co.

I have two pairs that have held up well, although I admittedly am not hard on sunglasses.

2. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Most websites do put frames on sale. Ssense, MrP, yoox, matches, etc. They might sunnies or they might be optical, it depends. Also, they don't usually include a ton of details, so know what you want before you browse the fashion sites

3. asaa1000

asaa1000 Senior Member

Thanks guys. I see lots of discounted frames (Barton Perreira especially) on EBay and even B&S, for like $50... any idea if they’re legit?

4. thefastlife

thefastlife Distinguished Member

looking for some round, rather large, tortoiseshell glasses. advice?

5. troika

Moscot Lemtosh? Wearing the sz 52 now, pretty big

6. thefastlife

if buying used or otherwise without lenses, where can you get "replacement" Rx lenses? is this even a thing?

7. troika

What do you mean? Any optometrist will be able to install lenses into a vintage frame, it's the same as bringing in a frame from an outside vendor or sunglasses or something.

8. thefastlife

Gotcha. That’s what I was wondering. Thanks.

9. troika

Most places will send it out to a central facility, some will do it in-house. Unless it's an extremely popular lens, they'll match a stock lens shape as close as possible to what you need, and will shape it by hand afterwards. You can pretty much get anything that way.

10. thefastlife

what are some great "bang-for-buck" brands. brands that focus on acetates/plastics. preferably some larger sized models with a bit of roundness. here is a list i curated. can anyone add/subtract from it?

Garrett Leight
    Dita
    Mykita
    SALT
    Masunaga
    Barton Perreira
    Shuron
    Moscot
    Lafont

also this is probably a VERY stupid question so forgive my ignorance:

is the more frugal/financially smart decision to buy cheap gray market/gently used frames and then have lenses added after the fact? reason being, most of the brands above start at ~$300 and that is before Rx.

i only get $110 for out of network benefits via insurance and i'd probably just use the insurance money for contacts.

thanks!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019

11. GG Allin

GG Allin Senior Member

Linda farrow, morgenthal-frederics, to be added to that list.

12. troika

@thefastlife I think bang-for-the-buck is more pedantic when it comes to the more expensive brands on that list. If you think it's worth it to spend $400+ on handmade frames in great quality materials manufactured in a small workshop, like dita, GL, etc, then they are a great value (as similar characteristics tend to run for a much higher price usually).

If you don't care about those things and just want decent/better-than-average quality, then I would take those off the list. For me, the best bang for the buck is tom ford actually, despite my hate for luxotica. With some digging, you can find some frames <$100, or at least at 50% off retail if you're being really specific about the exact frame/color.

The cost measure becomes a math problem. If going through your optometrist will save you more money in total, go through them.

13. Callusing

Callusing Senior Member

OK, so let me piggy-back of @thefastlife 's question.

I'm really looking for frames (replacement for my day-to-day glasses) in that expensive price range ($300+) that are well-made but don't look expensive. No bling, no fashion-forward design, just really well-machined versions of basic shapes. Relatively material-agnostic. I assume they'll be German or Japanese.

David Kind was mentioned over on another thread, and he looked great. Any of those other brands stand out as worth looking into?

(Specifically, I'm looking for understated square half-rims, but I can do my own digging once I've got a sense of where to look)

14. thefastlife

well it seems to me that i can find a lot of these higher end glasses for ~$75-150 depending on make and model in either grey market or lightly used from reputable sellers.

the real question is where can i get good value glass added after i purchase said frames.

15. asaa1000

asaa1000 Senior Member

What’s grey market?