1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. asaa1000

asaa1000 Senior Member

This was actually one of mine biggest concerns, are the high end glasses (I.e. Mykita, Salt, etc.) actually more durable.

2. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

yeah my old oliver peoples acetate frames' legs have turned completely white

3. troika

troika Distinguished Member

I guess it's a decent deal, but check with your insurance.

Also, glasses are something you really have to try on. I have a large head, and take anywhere from 52-55. These are 47, so maybe medium size? Don't buy these without trying them on, unless you like returns

4. troika

@thefastlife if I may, I think you're not doing enough research, and are trying to find a deal on a reputable brand. As with most things on this forum, fit is going to be king. Above anything else, you want to make sure the glasses fit your face. There is nothing better than a physical try-on. Trust.

Besides the width (which you are already uncertain about) the glasses you posted, BP Kemp, have molded nose pieces, which means there is really no way to adjust them in any meaningful way once you get them. You may be able to bend the whole frame at the bridge in a downward arc, but that isn't a good idea. You may decide that adjustable nose pads are the right move for you, but here you need to make sure they don't slide off your face every 10 seconds.

You also want to make sure that the arms are long enough to to fit your head comfortably behind the ears and at the temples. Again, this is somewhat adjustable, but it's better to really find a good fit.

If you don't have a higher end store near you and don't wanna deal with online trial and error, you're most likely better off going with warby Parker or whatever is at lenscrafters if it means you get a solid fit.

In other words, don't try to get a Brioni on ebay if you don't know what size you are. Suitsupply might end up looking and feeling better on you.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019

5. thefastlife

thefastlife Distinguished Member

Thanks dudes

6. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior Member

What's your opinion on photochromic sunglasses? Do they not work that well in real life?

7. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior Member

I have a pair of JMM sunglasses with tarnished "up arrows" on the front. What's the best way to polish them back to shiny condition? Thanks.

8. Timbaland

Timbaland Distinguished Member

Not a fan of photochromic lenses, remind me of something older people wear who don't want separate sunglasses/glasses

9. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

My SALT clear frames lasted years with daily use and abuse. I only changed them because I needed a new Rx so it was time for a new shape.

10. accordion

accordion Distinguished Member

I'm hunting for a new pair of glasses after about five years of wearing the same O&Xs recommended by this thread. I've been able to find two stores near Boston that carry between them Lafont, Mykita, Masunaga, JMM, Dita, Kio. What are some other, preferably Japanese brands I should look at? Do Japanese frames fit Asian features better or does it depend on specifics? Lastly, what should I be looking for in terms of lenses? My insurance has different co-pays for lense options like coating, etc, and I'm not sure what any of it means.

11. verver

verver Senior Member

@troika what frames r those in your waywt post? Think you said you have a large head, and those fit well. I also have a large head and it’s always a problem to find well fitting frames. I currently have the larger vilda by moscot, which fit well, but looking for new ones. Anyone with suggestions? Prefer chunky acetate frames..

12. troika

Thanks! Yep, huge dome over here. They're moscot lemtosh 52. I have also worn Dita Sequoia's (actually about to switch back to those) and Jacques Marie Mage Torino.

13. troika

I had these in high school, and I was not a fan at all. Perhaps the tech has improved in 15 years since, but my biggest gripe was that they were never consistent. In California, it's always at least partially sunny, so even indoors near windows you're gonna get a grey haze. And they only darken fully in direct, strong, sunlight. So if it's overcast or something, you're also gonna get a weird dark grey tone.

14. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

D604357C-8A38-4F76-90E4-C11E697B78C8.jpeg

On my second pair of Masunaga. First pair was more Clark Kent. Had these made up as readers. Very light frames.

15. lol

lol Well-Known Member

I am thinking about getting these Gold & Wood Avior. Gold-amp-Wood-Avior-Sunglasses-in-02-Dark-Ruthenium-Ebony-Carobn29227588.jpg