1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

I gotta say Mykita’s patented hinges are pretty dang cool. They’re really robust, never open when hung on a shirt, and have shown no signs of loosening over the past year.

Their Lite series is true to name with the Alfur sunglasses weighing in at just 17 grams. Noticeably lighter than the all titanium Lesca Bronson NMWA carries. The textured finish on Margiela x Mykita raw frames is awesome too. I see a few more Mykitas in my future.

I’d put them a step above Dita and Linda Farrow. Frame quality is superb across all three brands but LF lenses are just ok and Mykita’s hinges really set them apart for me.

2. Callusing

Callusing Senior Member

Do Mykita frames generally sell at full MSRP, or are they one of those brands where everybody actually pays $300 or whatever for them?

3. MGoCrimson

IME it’s kind of like Oliver Peoples where some of the popular designs never go on sale. Most of the Margiela collabs can be found for around $300 during sale season, the Mykita main line less often.

4. thefastlife

thefastlife Distinguished Member

for those that prefer rx eyeglasses - do you favor separate rx sunglasses or clip ons?

this is the dilemma i face. i prefer eyeglasses - especially for driving. but i don't want to have a pair of eyeglasses, rx sunglasses and regular sunglasses. seems clip ons might be a good alternative?

are there any "one size fits all" solutions or do you pretty much need to get the exact matching clip ons for said make and model?

thanks!

5. Adroit

Adroit Senior Member

Completely agree. Mykita Ti sunglasses are outstanding. I also really like Lindberg, Orgreen, IC Berlin, and ZeroG sunglasses.

6. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

So titanium is the way to go with mykita? or are their acetate models on par?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019

7. MGoCrimson

The ones I have are acetate+stainless steel and raw acetate. Mykita acetate is top tier.

8. Adroit

Adroit Senior Member

Mykita does both Ti and acetate, and both are well executed. I happen to prefer Ti sunglasses (and other light weight metals).

9. asaa1000

asaa1000 Senior Member

Just curious, what’s the difference between high quality acetate vs “bad” acetate?

10. Timbaland

Timbaland Distinguished Member

I don't wear glasses anymore because I got eye surgery but it may be worth checking out the Garrett Leight clip ons. They're one of the few brands I've seen that looks good.

11. lol

lol Well-Known Member

For what I know, Mykita uses stainless steel but titanium. They also use acetate on some of their collection. The Mylon line is 3-D printed. Their collaboration with MM is really cool. I may have to pick a pair of those in the future.

12. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

Lol I just read this while I was walking out of the optometrist. I ended up getting a pair from the Mylon line.

I also tried on Lindberg and ic Berlin and they were great also.

Thanks guys for the help

Mykita Jujubi
    8B7A78C1-7D52-4B65-885B-F8B3213DC186.jpeg

13. MGoCrimson

Including but not limited to clarity, depth of color, polish, hardness, flexibility, durability. Easy to tell in person, impossible online.

14. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Durability is the biggest one for me. Inexpensive acetates can warp in heat (for example leaving your sunglasses in the car during the summer) or become brittle and chip over time. The finish on them can also get foggy, spotty, and "whitenen" over time. I don't know what the right term for this is, but I've had some glasses where the shiny black acetate became matter grey with white stains (oliver peoples btw).

15. thefastlife

thefastlife Distinguished Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019