• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
Weird question,
can you wear shirt stays through air port security/metal detector? I know the detectors at airports usually don't go off with zippers and metal buttons, but has anyone actually tried it with shirt stays before? Just curious :p I mean it's somewhat difficult to remove them if you've got tight ones.

justonemore

Reaction score

Weird question,
can you wear shirt stays through air port security/metal detector?  I know the detectors at airports usually don't go off with zippers and metal buttons, but has anyone actually tried it with shirt stays before? Just curious :p I mean it's somewhat difficult to remove them if you've got tight ones. 

You only have shirts with metal stays? I can't say I've ever tried it because I usually try to eliminate any type of delay when dealing with airports & security versus testing the system. Another example would be wearing lace up boots...why not a loafer if you know that they need to come off?...my guess is that if you set off the metal detector's you'd be selected for extra screening be it the wand or the nudist chamber (versus having to take them out). ..but...as long as you're standing in a 30-60-90 minute line anywaya I would think you'd have plenty of time to take them out and avoid the chances of setting off the machine & having to go through the extra screening nonsense and holding up those behind you..of course some places just toss you into the nudie machine anyways and they'll probably pick up on what is what.

Last edited:

VirgilVerne

Reaction score

You only have shirts with metal stays? I can't say I've ever tried it because I usually try to eliminate any type of delay when dealing with airports & security versus testing the system. Another example would be wearing lace up boots...why not a loafer if you know that they need to come off?...my guess is that if you set off the metal detector's you'd be selected for extra screening be it the wand or the nudist chamber (versus having to take them out). ..but...as long as you're standing in a 30-60-90 minute line anywaya I would think you'd have plenty of time to take them out and avoid the chances of setting off the machine & having to go through the extra screening nonsense and holding up those behind you..of course some places just toss you into the nudie machine anyways and they'll probably pick up on what is what.

Eh. Probs just gonna be careful and take them out then. Always feel more comfortable wearing them but I suppose it's better to avoid extra checks at all cost

AndrewST

Reaction score
It was if the jacket is comparatively roomy / boxy in cut yet the trousers are now slim. You need to ensure harmony in the dimensions of both parts of the suit.

Jacket fit me fine but it's a sack suit, so the darting was minimal--maybe entirely absent. So, a sack suit with slightly tapered pants. Bad idea?

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am looking for some general footwear advice. I am looking to add two new pairs of shoes to my rotation. Business formal 5-6 days a week, preferred weekend wear is OCBD and jeans or chinos, t-shirts and shorts on summer afternoons.

My current footwear rotation is:

Dress (all leather soles):
Black cap-toes
Brown cap-toe bluchers
Black shortwings
Brown longwings
Cordovan/Merlot shortwings

Casual:
Brown penny loafers (leather sole, no beef roll)
Brown suede oxfords (combination tap sole)
Reddish-brown brogues dress boots
Brown suede desert boots (crepe)
Sand suede desert boots (crepe)
Boat shoes

I am considering four styles from Allen Edmonds's current sale. Which, among the following, would you think would add the most versatility to my
Collection?
Burgundy shell cordovan beef roll loafers
Burgundy calf LHS-style loafers
Brown pebble grain chukkas (probably for travel?)
Oxblood Strand cap-toe oxfords with dainite sole

cakv

Reaction score
You don't think that plenty of people on SF care about fashion trends? Excuse me while I laugh.

Sure, I prefer a more traditional, non-short-and-tight look. But I'm a dinosaur. Albeit, a well dressed one.
Honestly, I did think that they disregarded it, ESPECIALLY the well-dressed. I'm glad there are those that wear their trou nice and high like EFV. My preferences line up with yours, even though I'm 25. I may differ in that I like a more aggressively fitted coat(a bit more than Vox has his).

cakv

Reaction score
Here to stay? Some people will like the look and stick with it. Others will pick it up...so sure, we'll continue to see it.

Immune to trends here at SF? I would hope not..that is more the Ask Andy thing where even a slight mention of jeans brings people near to tears and violent militancy. I dress well & in a classic manner most of the time but I sure don't expect/demand that others do the same. The advantage here is that it is much more diverse, after 10 years of the hobby I still see and learn new things here...some I like...some I don't...but over there it's often the same Ole same Ole. It's a small conservative group with limited uses where they revere the founder's advice more than that of the aggregate of those that actually contribute on a daily basis...so...being educated and making your own choice to me is a good thing. Automatic "immunity" from change also tends to make one immune from positive change...and I do find it positive that I and most other men are not still running around in a version of panty hose.

Oh...and let's go on the theory that people are showing off their shoes...at least it probably means that people are wearing decent properly maintained shoes...which in itself is hardly a trend I'd disagree with..I'm much more forgiving of trouser breaks than cra**y shoes. Perhaps if we start with prestable shoes then just maybe sooner or later people will realize that no matter how nice the shoes, the missing break makes the trousers look as if they were poorly tailored. Who knows? Appreciating a bit of progress is perhaps better than expecting perfection as defined by oneself. And besides...I'm not sure I want everybody dressed as well as I am anyways.
1f608.png
1f608.png
1f608.png

A lot of it comes down to perspective. The French don't show any cuff on their suits...but that's only a variation and doesn't mean that showing a bit of cuff is unacceptable elsewhere.
@VirgilVerne Some of what's in the HOF is borderline startling though. The hem is 1-2" short of where what is typically called "no break".

Thank you for the input, gentlemen. It's appreciated. I guess I have to accept trends do influence those that I consider knowledgeable and good dressers (or rather they allow themselves to be influenced temporarily) and not balk at how many people give a thumbs up to stuff that doesn't look good according to relatively BCD tastes.

estranged

Reaction score
Still looking for a versatile shoe.... what do you guys think is this versatile? Can i pull this off with both jeans and business-casual outfit (with blazer or sport coat)?

or perhaps this?:

or this:

Last edited:

brewski

Reaction score

Still looking for a versatile shoe.... what do you guys think is this versatile? Can i pull this off with both jeans and business-casual outfit (with blazer or sport coat)? or perhaps this?: or this:
Go with the top one. That's a nice shoe. Not too formal when paired with jeans, and you can easily wear those with khakis or a casual suit.

estranged

Reaction score
Go with the top one. That's a nice shoe. Not too formal when paired with jeans, and you can easily wear those with khakis or a casual suit.
Thanks! But just curious, how would that compare to the shoe in 3rd pic? Or it's purely personal preference? Here is another angle of that shoe:

brewski

Reaction score

Thanks! But just curious, how would that compare to the shoe in 3rd pic? Or it's purely personal preference? Here is another angle of that shoe:
In my opinion, the shorter shoes are more formal and are something I wouldn't wear with denim on a regular basis. The third option is an awesome shoe, but that Oxford style is more formal to me. The toe cap makes it less so, but I'd still buy the top option, and have a pair similar to them.

justonemore

Reaction score
For jeans and business casual I would go with one of the Chukkas. Again you're wanting to put an Oxford with jeans...and to me oxfords don't really go well with jeans. I would put either of the Chukkas with jeans before going with the Oxford...admittedly I do have quite a few shoes so I would have no reason to pair oxfords with jeans.

I wore jeans & boots this morning...

Last edited:

estranged

Reaction score
In my opinion, the shorter shoes are more formal and are something I wouldn't wear with denim on a regular basis. The third option is an awesome shoe, but that Oxford style is more formal to me. The toe cap makes it less so, but I'd still buy the top option, and have a pair similar to them.

For jeans and business casual I would go with one of the Chukkas. Again you're wanting to put an Oxford with jeans...and to me oxfords don't really go well with jeans. I would put either of the Chukkas with jeans before going with the Oxford...admittedly I do have quite a few shoes so I would have no reason to pair oxfords with jeans.

I wore jeans & boots this morning...

good stuff! Unfortunately i think they don't have my size for those chukkas :/

What do you think about these suede boots:

I assume they are great for casual wear, but what about for office (no suit of course) and office business casual?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member