• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I think it's a good question. Cards on the table: I love three piece suits. I also like spectator shoes, long socks sometimes in bright colours, and exotic pocket squares. There are two things to bear in mind: firstly, you, and secondly, your surroundings.

In a way, I am already an oddity for wearing a jacket and tie and shoes in a relative sartorial wasteland, so stepping it up a notch doesn't make me stand out any more than I already do. It's a perverse kind of freedom to be as dandy as I feel like. If I were in a City law firm in London, I'd be a bit more circumspect. As it stands, I'm starting a new job next week, and will see how it feels - grey or navy suit first day, possibly skip the waistcoat, black or dark shoes...etc. But that's just being cautious. Once they know me, for sure I'll be me.

I'm also 44 years old, outgoing and confident. That helps, because I care rather less about being a dick than I did when I was twenty. These things tend to be self-fulfilling.

So, in short answer to your question "it depends". My advice would be that the three piece by itself isn't a big deal, unless everyone else thinks chinos, loafers, a polo and a blazer is "business". If everyone's in suits, do it. Just maybe be a little careful to keep the other elements subtle, and let everyone get used to you and your sartorial excellence. Up until the 1940s, when the austerity of war in Europe had people replacing waistcoats with wool ones to save cloth, a suit always meant three pieces. The sad fact is that this is no longer the norm, but I'm all for promoting the quixotic quest for the return of the full suit!

Konstantinos343

Reaction score
Thank you both for your answers. I love three-piece suits and I always wanted to get one. It's really sad that it's not the norm anymore. :(

Reaction score
Hello SF,

Ive recently been given a discount code for a store selling Loake shoes (only Loake shoes) and I want to use it. But Im almost all the time wearing jeans, occasionally chinos, so I need help which shoes to choose, so they would go nicely with jeans.

These looks really nice, do you think I can wear these with jeans?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Absolutely, and they'll look great. I'd also consider any kind of boot - chukkas are the obvious especially with chinos, but a taller brogued boot also looks awesome with jeans. These are ideal for both - they are a casual shoe, but in this day and age, perfectly acceptable with chinos and a blazer and tie if you every need to.

This kind of shoe, in a civilised world, would make sneakers redundant outside the gym. Thank you for taking this one small step. :)

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello SF,

Ive recently been given a discount code for a store selling Loake shoes (only Loake shoes) and I want to use it. But Im almost all the time wearing jeans, occasionally chinos, so I need help which shoes to choose, so they would go nicely with jeans.

These looks really nice, do you think I can wear these with jeans?

Those would absolutely work, but they would be even better if they were in a textured leather such as pebble grain. Look at the Loake Pimlico or Kempton, depending on what color you like. Suede Chukkas are sneaky versatile.

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Could I please get some quick thoughts on these burgundy wholecuts and how they would fit with CM suits?

I like the idea but can't quite get used to their look, being generally used to Oxfords.

Also interested in quick thoughts on whether these would fit with CM suits or business casual, they seem a bit light coloured forme but do like single monks.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could I please get some quick thoughts on these burgundy wholecuts and how they would fit with CM suits?

I like the idea but can't quite get used to their look, being generally used to Oxfords.

Also interested in quick thoughts on whether these would fit with CM suits or business casual, they seem a bit light coloured forme but do like single monks.

Cheers.

Wholecuts are oxfords. Formalitywise, in both type and color, the wholecuts would be more appropriate with a suit.

Last edited:

conker2507

Reaction score
Hi, everyone !

I'm looking for brown oxfords similar to these :

What would you recommend ? Budget : approx. $ 600

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, everyone ! I'm looking for brown oxfords similar to these :
What would you recommend ? Budget : approx. $ 600 Thanks in advance !
It looks like you want something with a chiseled toe. Something from Crockett & Jones on the 348 last would work and I think is in your price range.
Guys, can a blazer replace the jacket during the winter? Or will I need to buy an overcoat as well when going formal?
Really depends on your climate, e.g., typically a blazer will not be warm enough for a NY winter.

Last edited:

Crail

Reaction score
I recently (since starting to lurk here) decided most of my suits fit too large. So I purged. Here you have the only survivor of the "pre-SF" suits, which I think fits well, but as I'm rather new at determining good fit, I'm seeking a second opinion. I also lost a few pounds so the pants do fit a little loose in the waist, but probably not noticeably so.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently (since starting to lurk here) decided most of my suits fit too large. So I purged. Here you have the only survivor of the "pre-SF" suits, which I think fits well, but as I'm rather new at determining good fit, I'm seeking a second opinion. I also lost a few pounds so the pants do fit a little loose in the waist, but probably not noticeably so.
I think that looks pretty good from what I can see--better than most suits that you'll see out there. The shoulders, chest, and collar seem to fit properly and the jacket sleeve length is good. The jacket length is short for a 'classic' fit but it's in line with current styles. I also think the jacket buttoning point is slightly high, but again this is currently in fashion.Trousers look okay from here--personally I think they are a hair short but I know others would think they are just right. Overall it's certainly worth hanging onto as you rebuild your suit collection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads